Labels on apples

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get swallowed in their millions!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

No, and in fact the adhesive used on them is not very good for you. I knew someone who spent 3 years researching how much adhesive you actually eat, because it's apparently quite toxic in relatively small amounts.

Reply to
Grunff

You would think that the labels would be designed with an adhesive which peels off cleanly, but it ain't so. Another of life's mysteries.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

They'd come off too easily in transit or storage if they were and we couldn't have that, could we!

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the checkout - they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till and the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop is selling.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Oh they do, really. I read it on the internet just now.

Well, some people do.

They'll come unstuck, don't you worry.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Tescos last week. Bag full of conference pears with labels missing on many.

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I have an apple tree that fails to put the labels on any of the apples it grows - very annoying as I don't know what they are

Reply to
Ric

I think I knew that - but a way round that, if the check-out can't identify them, would be to have peel off stickers on a coil near the apples and stuck to a bag in which the customer puts the apples.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, well it must be true ...

When they get round to it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's not 'we'. That's them. They should be trained better.

Hrumph.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Would it make any difference to you if you did?

I once took some apples from our tree to be identified by Mr Juniper.

I've forgotten what they are.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They're supposed to have regular checks so that they know the difference between each different kind of fruit/vegatable.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Appear to peel of cleanly here, at least the glue layer stays on the lable not the fruit. Of course I expect some thing has leached into the fruit...

So the minimum wage brain dead super market checkout operator knows that it's an Royal Gala Apple not a Braeburn or a Pear or Nectarine...

I wouldn't have thought so either but then I've learnt that it is very easy to over estimate the stupidity of the great unwashed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Try Eastville (Bristol) Tesco on the very late shift. We swap recipes for papaya or ackees and bemoan the lack of medlars.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I grow my own medlars :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've got a collection of them! Not in the anorak sense, but first noticed them when I bought a grapefruit every week and the labels were different each time. Stuck them on the kitchen wall and have about 25 different ones plus those from other fruits.

There's even a person who's got his own web page of them:

its nothing to do with me, I just googled on them to find out what the numbers meant. A PLU (Product Look Up number) should you be remotely interested.

Dave

Reply to
David

Spouse started doing that in the 1960s.I hated it, so did the kids. They disappeared. I didn't remove them ...

I'm sure that one day they'll have a value.

But who cares?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've never heard of them!

*Google google*

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Ha!

"Medlar 'Nottingham' Reliable crops of vitamin 'C' rich fruits, needs to be bletted before eating."

"BLETTED"!?!?

*Google google*

Si

Reply to