Magic Jack Latency Question

I have a dish Internet setup at my remote cabin. Sheesh, we have Internet and HD TV, but no phone. It's a cell phone dead zone. I tried Skype, but because of the latency problem, it would not work. Does anyone have a Magic Jack set up on a satellite dish at a remote location, and if so, does it work? Anyone know if the latency problems with VOIP units has been worked out yet?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I used to have satellite internet, and the latency was way too high for VoIP. From what I heard, it's the upstream connection that has the problem. You'll be able to hear people but they can't hear you.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Can you hear me now? heh heh

Reply to
FlavorFlav

Damn kid, why would you want to call yourself FlavorFlav? Do you dislike youself that much?

Reply to
Abe

It's a geostationary satellite. That means a 50,000 mile trip out and back, or _minumum_ 1/4 second latency. In the real world you put all other sources of latency on top of that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The problem isn't with the VOIP, but with the satellite. Much too much latency.

Ever talked to someone years ago in another country?

I taked to my parents once when they were in China. This was.. oh....

1985 or so.

Me: "Hello!"

(Echoing back Me:>"Hello!" ..... Them: "Hi!"

That's probably what it would be like.

Reply to
Evan Platt

How well does majic jack work with cable internet..Anyone using one..?

Reply to
in2-dadark

Think 10,000 feet of wire unspooled from the back of an ATV...

Reply to
HeyBub

The cable here has lower latency than dialup.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The cable here has lower latency than dialup.

Reply to
in2-dadark

[snip]

Did you actually read the post I responded to? It was about cable internet, and it's suitability for VoIP (as in Magic Jack). Where's the problem?

No, Magic Jack is not a vehicle :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

tried Skype, but

Steve is there ANY cell phone working spots nearby?

Nearly all cell phones have jacks covered with plastic to plug in a remote antenna.

there are high gain yagis for this purpose. have suggested this to several friends all got phone working.

yagis are high gain directional you walk around to find a good spot, sometimes attached to a high spot like roof peak. getting above dense tree growth helps.

the cell phone tech folks at the stores know nearly nothing about remote antennas.

if you want more info let me know.

Reply to
hallerb

As I am building a house where there is marginal cell service, I would like info about these. Please post for all of us. Thanks, Art

Reply to
Art Todesco

We do have to drive a couple of miles up the mountain, and then we can get cell service. The antennas are essentially on the other side of the mountain we live on. But a couple of the cabin owners say they have powerful cell phone models, and if they hang out one of the upstairs windows and move around they can finally get a line. Would like to hear more about your idea.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That is a gross understatement. The cell phone store people make the nitwits at Radio Shack look like scientists.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

And you won't be able to read this on WebTV.. heh.

Reply to
G. Morgan

the external antennas are avaiable for all cell services:) Depending on the company the antenna can be different they are tuned to the frequency your carrier uses.

Highly directional you may have to experiment a bit to get service, and your phone MUST be plugged into the external antenna cable, although you can get a cell phone dock to connect a cell phone to a standard cordless or regular phone.

e bay is a good source

here is one, I see they now have adapters so one antenna can be used for different frequencies

Reply to
hallerb