Confusing terminal labels on White-Rodgers thermostat

I'm planning to replace my old mechanical White-Rodgers thermostat (model

1C30-302) with a Honeywell Chronotherm IV.

My house has gas heat only, and uses a 24-volt 2-wire system (white and red wire). This should be an easy DIY job, but I found the labeling on the old thermostat confusing.

The old sub-base has 2 connections: one is labeled "4" (connected to the red wire), and the other is labeled "R5" (connected to the white wire).

I know I need to connect these to the "R" and "W" terminals on the new thermostat. Unfortunately, the terminal cross-reference for the new stat don't mention an R5 terminal. So, I don't know which wire should go to which terminal on the Honeywell.

I suspect since it's just a 2-wire system, it doesn't really matter which wire goes to which terminal (as long as I connect to the R and W). My guess is that the thermostat just makes/breaks the connection between R and W when the stat calls for heat.

Should I just hook the Red wire to R, and the white wire to W?

Thanks, David Bono

Reply to
David Bono

your kidding right?

go troll elsewhere

David B> I'm planning to replace my old mechanical White-Rodgers thermostat (model

Reply to
richard p dawson

To get the Chronotherm IV to work correctly, you will need to run 2 more wires they will need to be wired as follows; R - 24V W - heat G - fan X - common

Then you will need to do the initial installer programming on the stat, and then program it for your personal comfort and times

Reply to
Noon-Air

According to the installation instructions, the Chronotherm IV should work with the existing 2-wire system.

Since the existing thermostat doesn't have a separate G terminal, I assume the furnace takes care of turning the fan on and off.

What if the system doesn't have the G and X wires? Does that mean I can't use this thermostat?

Reply to
David Bono

It will

It does to a point

Like I said... you will need to ADD 2 more wires to get the Chronotherm to work *correctly*

Reply to
Noon-Air

this is Turtle.

Look Let me explain this is Coon ass Language for you.

The G terminal --- Forget about and play like it is not there. The R Terminal --- tie it to the wire that was tied to the R terminal on the old thermostat. The W terminal --- Tie it to the wire that was tied to the old thermostat where it was on the W terminal. The X terminal --- Tie a wire on it / X terminal and run it back to the Ground side of the 24 volt transformer in the furnace or to the C terminal of the furnace or if you have to / not recommended but tie it to the frame of the furnace.

If you have not got a pretty good grip on the ideal here by what Noon said and my words do get you knowing exactly what to do. You may look to get a hvac service company to wire it for you.

The Below here really explain everything you need to know , but just forget about the G terminal like it was not there.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Here is a link to the White-Rodgers WebSite where you can find your thermostat listed and then find the wiring connections appropriate in your case.

indago

Hook your red and white wires to the R and W terminals of the new stat. As long as you have the battery powered or power stealing version it will work just as it is supposed to.

Since you don't have A/C there's no need to run two additional wires and there is no such thing as an X terminal in a standard Chronotherm IV as someone else stated. The stats that require a Common have a C terminal.

If you want to take advantage of the Fan On feature you'll need another wire for the G terminal. If your furnace is old you may not even have a G terminal to attach it to, if that's the case you'll need to have a professional install a fan control center. Either way it's not worth the time...if you add A/C in the future the installer will run a 5 wire at that time.

Good luck! George

Reply to
vairxpert