pedastal sink w/o pedastal possible?

Is it possible to install a pedestal sink without using the pedestal? I was told at The Home Improvement that it's not reccomended because people lean on them, or lean against them, and down they come. But it seems to me that there should be a way of doing it.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Check out the sinks in a typical public rest room. Many are mounted to the wall without a pedestal. _WHAT_ you're mounting it to is as important as the sink itself.

Why not skip Home Depot, get a sink designed the way you want it from a real plumbing supply house, and follow the directions that come with the sink for mounting it?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Definitely not recommended. Wall-hung basins have a heavy metal bracket located high up on the basin back to support them. Pedestal-style basins only have small mounting holes located at the lower edge. There will not be support for even small loads.

There is a wide variety of wall-hung basin designs available; I would start a search there.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yeah- it's called a Wall Mount. Probably the most common sinks used from

1920-1970 or so. Modern pedestal sink is a style thing, trying to look like turn-of-the (20th) century sinks retrofitted to old houses that needed the pedestal to hold the sink up. Sink is usually a wall-mount anyway, with wall mounts holding most of the load.

Unless you need the storage from a vanity, and the counter space, wall mount makes it much easier to keep bathroom clean, IMHO. If I ever get rich enough to build a house, the 'dirty use' bathroom will have a wall mount, with cabinets to store the TP and towels mounted up high, above the splash/dribble line.

Only thing to keep in mind with a wall mount- you need Real Solid blocking in the walls. I mean end-nailed 2x8 blocks between 3 studs, not any wimpy surface-applied 1/2" plywood buried in drywall. And use the commercial-style stainless steel mounting bolts, with bigass washers on the backside. The sink should shatter before the bolts ever tear out.

But having said that, when they tore out the 1902 bathrooms in the former-hospital-now-office building I work in, around 1982 or so, people were lined up trying to bribe the dump truck drivers and score some of those old commercial pedestal sinks. They were impressive, and still mostly in fine shape. They built for the ages back then, not any of this modern

40-year design lifespan crap. (and let's not even talk about the 5-year plastic sinks this apartment project uses, changed whenever the carpet gets changed.)

aem sends.....

Reply to
ameijers

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com:

I just pulled out an old wall mounted bathroom sink that looks like something from a gas station in the 1950's. It had a heavy metal plate with big retaining hooks that caught the sink under the splashedge; the plate screwed into the wall onto two studs. The replacement sink is a pedestal sink with two ceramic projections that sit against the wall and take two smaller bolts that look like they might epoxy onto the wall tile. There's no way those little bolts could hold the sink and I'm thinking that maybe a good sideways shove could push it over. Maybe you could form and mold in a brace, sort of like some people mold a fitting into a fiberglass sailboat, but is it really worth doing?

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)

That is true. I'm having a problem right now because I have an antique high-back wall-hung basin that I simply can't find a replacement for. If I go to a pedestal-style basin, I'll have these huge holes in the tile above the sink.

I wish I could find some of the high-back style. My wife works for a plumbing contractor, we've been through every catalog they have and not one company makes them these days.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

(wall-hung lav basins)

They're out there. Do some GOOGLE searches for antique bath fixtures wall hung sink etc.

This guy has some original items which are interesting:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Actually, I want to find a non-antique if I can. For one, I don't feel like spending $800 on a sink, and for another, almost all of the antiques I've seen have two faucets, one hot and one cold. Rather hard to come up with a median temperature when you can't combine the hot and cold water.

Thanks though.

Reply to
Brian Henderson