How Much?

Page 6 of 7
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 7:04:42 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I have a TV in my living room, family room, shop, main room in the basement, garage, shed and all 3 bedrooms. There's no TV in the kitchen, but there is a cable jack hidden in a corner cabinet. There's also a jack on the deck.
It's mainly about football. I can spend all day Saturday and Sunday watching football and still get stuff done. All I have to do is turn on 4 or 5 TV's and I never miss a play.
The TV in the shed is a 12" portable on a tall end table. It has a long cable and power cord. Sometimes in the winter I'll move it out by the fire pit, start a fire and watch the games. "Home games", weather included. ;-)
Don Y posted for all of us...

Yeah, it's called the crapshoot of life. I'm glad my wife and did our thing when we were younger. Can't do now. Put ourselves in debt earlier but working several jobs didn't seem so bad because of a reward. We still volunteer to the best of our abilities; as we have been doing over 40 years.
From being on the other side; every day is a gift.
--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I think the brown fog is sufficient.
--
Tekkie

On 12/10/2015 4:04 PM, Don Y wrote:

About 4 1/2 hours a month. We get enough out of it to say yes, worth the time working.
On 12/10/2015 7:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I suspect we don't watch 4.5 hours of TV in a month! We *try* to catch the local weather -- in the last 5 minutes of the nightly newscast. But, tend to rely on on-line forecasts most of the time (as we can better relate those to our actual microclimate instead of "forecast FOR the airport"). We long ago realized that the local news was just a replay of the national news with some trivial, feel-good, (local) "special interest" story thrown in. And, we can grab the national news from any of dozens of web sites in far less time -- and more detail -- than any broadcast outlet.
We have no interest in "reality TV" -- we live our own "real lives", thankyouverymuch! :> And, can pick the movies that we *want* to see at will instead of hoping someone airs something that we'd like to watch, *when* we'd like to watch it (or, when we want to sit down and browse the upcoming schedules to decide what to configure the HTPC to record on our behalf).
SWMBO sees the most regular "TV usage" with her morning exercise routine (from DVD or media tank). I'm not sure she would count that as "TV time"!

Reality TV is garbage. And that seems to be most of the programs these days. Other than that there are game shows, which dont interest me. If I had to rely on the "regular" TV channels, I'd probably only turn the tv on to watch the weather reports and maybe the local news. Honestly, there is nothing worth watching on modern tv programming, at least not for me.
However, I do like to watch the "oldies channels". Mostly Me-Tv. I like those old westerns and many of the other old shows. I dont spend a lot of time watching, but when I'm taking a break from my neverending farm work, (and I do need more breaks than when I was younger), I flip on Me-Tv, and go on the computer (usually this newsgroup). I do both at the same time, along with some snacks.
I have to comment about this. What the hell happened to all those great programs they used to have on tv? I mean the series, like Bonanza, The Rifleman, Emergency, even some of the light stuff like The Brady Bunch, or Mr. Ed, Donna Reed show, or Lassie. Dont they have any talented actors anymore? Isnt there any money to be made by actors making these series? Or do they just make full length movies now? (Personally, I cant sit thru a full lenght movie too often. But a half hour series fits my resting time well).
It's kind of ironic. Back when tv's were only black and white, or the early days of color tv, there were so many great things to watch. Now we have all these high tech tv's HDTV with surround sound, and tv sets that cover a whole wall, AND ALL THEY HAVE ON TV IS CRAP. Who need HDTV for watching a talk show, or some Judge Judy trying a bunch of total losers in her court, or that repulsive Springer show, and others like it. Or who needs HDTV even for the news. ????
Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I cant find any of the modern programming that I'd even spend 5 minutes worth of my time to watch any of the crap they have on the tube now.
Funny thing, I feel the same way about the web now. Back in the 90's the web was alot of fun. Lots of funny stuff and informative sites too, which were intresting. Yea, some of that still exists, but little. Most of the web is just advrtising, and poliical bickering, or other junk. And there seems to be no website anymore that does NOT link to Facebook, and in my opinion, Facebook is the biggest pile of time wasting rubbish ever to hit the internet. I briefly tried it, I opened my own page based on a specific interest (topic) and limited membership to only people who fit the topic. Within a month, it became nothing but a pile of rubbish, including political bickering and name calling, people begging for money or whining about their spouse, or just posting any damn thing they wanted. One day I just killed the account and will never go back. (and that dont include all the data mining and identity theft they do on that miserable piece of worthless garbage).
But I'm not really complaining. Now I spend more time being productive with my tools and farm stuff, and spend more time with friends and with my animals too. All of that is far better than staring at a tube, or in these days, it's a piece of plastic with pixels....
On 12/10/15 1:15 PM, Eagle wrote:

Way too freakin' much! Local governments granted near-monopolies to providers than didn't regulate the rate-gouging sumbitches...
--
Want to close wage gap? Step one: Change your major from gender studies
or feminist dance therapy to electrical engineering.

lol I hear you! It seems like home entertainment is getting more and more expensive. The fiber optic service is much more reliable than the satellite service we had before, so that eases the pain somewhat.
On 12/10/2015 12:15 PM, Eagle wrote:

modem up to 50Mbs ... with the old one I have up to 20 Mbs Phone a 10 dollar old flip phone from net10 and wallyworld at 17 dollars a month for 200 maybe 250 minutes. Plenty for me no more than I use it. so.... looks like 66 dollars ... my water bill was 49 bucks phone costs have gone down over the years but water/sewage/trash has doubled.
Eagle wrote:

Up here in Canuck land it costs more.
I have full shebang of HD channels on TV, 2 phones(one is dedicated to fax), 50/3 Internet. Service over all is excellent. Interruption of service(down time) is almost none. Tech support is good too. 220.00CAD(~165.00 USD) per month including tax. Our cable is under ground. Nothing runs overhead, all under ground.
Tony Hwang formulated the question :

Good deal in Canadialand. :D Are you on 'cable', or optic fiber?
Eagle wrote:

Only main trunk is optics. Into home it is cable.
Tony Hwang pretended :

Same here. It was very interesting watching the tech make the fiber optic connections to My home cable sytem. The fiber is VERY thin!
Uncle Monster pretended :

It sux not being able to do the things you did when you were younger Uncle. :/
Uncle Monster has brought this to us :

Uncle, You've said before, but can you clarify what's going on with your health? I don't like getting personal on this kind of venue, so don't answer if I'm getting too personal please.
Nosey Eagle
It happens that Uncle Monster formulated :

You're a strong Man Uncle, and you'll be up and running down the nurses in no time. :D
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:10:32 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:

True...only the good die young! ಠ╭╮ಠ
Uncle Monster used his keyboard to write :

I do much the same for My Lakota kids.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Maybe they had take out from Chipotle?
--
Tekkie

on 12/12/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

You know, this is about the most shitty subject ever posted here Uncle... :/