How Much?

What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

Reply to
Eagle

That is too broad of a question. If I said $179/month, what would that tell you? If someone else said $59/month, what would that tell you?

Am I getting ripped off? Are they getting a great deal?

Don't you really need to know what we are paying and what services we are getting for that money?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

P.S. That's a pretty crappy subject line.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

$ZERO! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

Practically impossible to price as every one has something different and you pay extra for premium channels and rent on equipment for several TV sets.

I've never seen another company tell someone what they have to pay for the first couple of years of service with the initial offer but not tell you the price thereafter.

Would anyone buy a car if they were told that their payment would be $200 a month for 2 years but it will go up and dealer won't tell you what that will be?

I have Comcast triple play but have to constantly renegotiate cost. I also have a FIOS line to the house on a land line. FIOS constantly begs me to switch and I tell them I will if I get the initial offer for life.

My neighbor across the street just switches service and when initial offer expires and he cannot get an acceptable price, switches to the other.

Reply to
Frank

$230-240 depending on how many movies my wife buys.

(Dish, 2 boxes, one is DVR, land line and 10g DSL internet)

Reply to
gfretwell

The more interesting question, IMO, is how many hours of your life do you spend at your 9-to-5 (before taxes!) to pay those (after taxes) rates? Then, asking oneself if it's really *worth* that much of your time (so you can diddle away even MORE time watching the boob tube, surfing the web or chatting with others).

Reply to
Don Y

No, If you don't get all three on one bill, then break it down to per service please. I pay $200.00 for HD TV and 200 channels [I think, it might be more], fiber optic access internet, and one landline #. The cell bill is sepparate...two #'s. My upload speed is 84.3 MBps, download spee is

86.13 MBps.

Do you think #200.00 is about right, or too expensive for HD TV,fiber optic internet, and one landline?

Reply to
Eagle

Thanks! Your Wife must rent lots of movies, no?

Reply to
Eagle

Way too freakin' much! Local governments granted near-monopolies to providers than didn't regulate the rate-gouging sumbitches...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

BTW...that includes the server, the DVR, and three boxes.

Reply to
Eagle

No, not really-- it's concise, descriptive, and says exactly what he wants to know.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I'm retired, and so is My Wife, so We watch lots of TV when We are not busy doing other things. I race My 1968 Chevy C10 short box, and do estimating on building projects for private builders.

Reply to
Eagle

lol I hear you! It seems like home entertainment is getting more and more expensive. The fiber optic service is much more reliable than the satellite service we had before, so that eases the pain somewhat.

Reply to
Eagle

I was hoping to not get too personal about ones living costs because everyone has different budgets they follow for monthly living. ^^

Reply to
Eagle

That's better.

If I add my land line, I'm putting out the same.

But I have a DVR, an HD box, and three boxes non-HD and get HBO, Starz and Encore.

Also retired, use services a lot.

Reply to
Frank

My comment, that follows, is obviously purely a matter of my own, personal, point of view -- your mileage obviously may (*does*!) vary:

I'd be "disappointed" if I worked my whole life just to spend retirement "watching TV". I can understand not being physically/mentally able to undertake other activities. But, *choosing* to sit in front of the idiot box seems like such a colossal waste of opportunity; you're finally at a point where you don't have to answer to someone else's marching orders... can choose *what* you want to do with YOUR time... "watching TV" wouldn't be high on my list.

(How many folks do you think express dismay, on their deathbeds, for NOT having watched MORE TV?)

I am constantly cheating my body out of needed sleep/etc. simply because there are so many things that I *want* to do with my waking hours! I regularly lecture SWMBO to take advantage of "opportunities" as there's no guarantee she'll be able to take advantage of them in the future (nor that they will present themselves, then).

No interest in learning another killset? Mentoring youth? Volunteering at a hospice? etc.

[Again, YMMV... I'm just pointing out *my* attitude towards the "MY TIME" we each are, hopefully, granted]
Reply to
Don Y

She really doesn't really watch "TV". She just likes movies so I have all of the movie channels and she also buys Netflix and Amazon Prime although she buys enough stuff online to justify prime.

At this point I am trying to keep a Neilson type log to see if I could just cut the cord on Dish and get everything I watch from streaming and my antenna. If I had the $170 or so to work with, I imagine I could stream it all, adding a couple extra services and still have over $150 left over. Once you start looking at what is on Netflix and Amazon, it appears a lot of the shows I watch, show up there fairly soon without commercials. I would need to find a good stand alone DVR for the network stuff I grab from the air. I haven't looked at PC solutions although there are now 2 of them in my entertainment center and one has the TV card in it. I just have not had the time to screw with it or even plug it in. I know that will burn a day or two ... at least. We are in the holiday countdown and I don't have a day.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cable companies score at the bottom of the list in most all customer service satisfaction surveys. Around my way, Comcast offers a very good technology products- but their customer service and rates suck.

You negotiate a rate with them for 6, 9, 12 months or whatever, but then you only get if for a month or two and they jack your bill back up. When you call to complain, you wait on hold a long time, then an offshore CSR that barely speaks English says she has no authority to adjust rates so they dump you back on hold until you're escalated to their "Customer Care" person. She says yes, I see you called on X date but there's no notes from your conversation and we have no documentation of the rate for the period you say. However, since you're such a good and loyal customer as well as a nice person, as a one-time special accommodation, we'll lower your monthly bill a buck and a half-- or some insignificant amount.

I can understand this happening once, maybe even twice but it happens to me every damned time-- at least 7-8 repeats in the last few years.

They just jacked up my promotional rate 68 percent. When I called, they said take it or leave it...so I've been talking to ATT about their U-Verse service. Service/features are comparable-- though internet speed is slower but still fast enough-- and the promo price on a 1 year contract if pretty decent. I'll probably be switching soon.

Hopefully ATT customer service is better...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Different strokes for different folks.

This time of year, I'd rather be out hunting but have to help my wife recover from knee replacement surgery.

I also do work on line for extra cash.

I see lots of young folks, that say they don't spend a lot of time on computers, never leave their smart phone. They don't realize that they are doing the same thing.

Reply to
Frank