How Much?

... With a balun and most people have had a bunch of them because you got one with TVs and VCRs for years. (If you threw them all away I will send you one) OTOH most new TV antennas are supplied with F connectors for coax. All TVs still have a coax input and a tuner or it would be called a monitor.

If you just want to see what you have, stick a piece of small wire in the center hole of the coax input, hang the other end on the wall and do a channel search. I bet you get 8 or 10 with just that if you are in town.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup. And, there are supposed to be "smart antennae" that can be tweeked by the tuner. Never saw one, though.

Depends on your market and topography. We're in a small, rather isolated, market -- nearest large metropolitan area is ~100 miles -- so we're limited to "local programming". OTOH, I don't really care much what the weather is

100 miles from here! :>

We are 9 or 13 miles (as the crow flies) from the clusters of broadcast towers serving our metro area. And, almost a perfect line-of-sight to the towers (I can look out the front door at night and see their flashing red lights atop the mountain).

Unfortunately, there is EXACTLY one tall tree in this part of the neighborhood and it lies directly in line with our antenna! When it rains and/or high winds, signal isn't worth even trying to receive! At least with analog TV you'd get a snowwy picture -- but *some* picture and MOST of the audio! Nowadays, it's all or nothing...

Thankfully, the tree is close enough that I can move the antenna to a different part of the house to "get around it". But, that requires mounting it on the roof, grounding it, etc. A fair bit of work for something we use so infrequently!

The converter boxes are hard to come by, nowadays. And, all that I have seen (recycling defective kit) suffer from short-term design goals. Caps tend to fail pretty quickly (I suspect they were intended as short-term solutions to buy time for folks to upgrade to digital TV's). They use a surprising amount of power to do their job!

Reply to
Don Y

8 or 10...are either of those 2 stations ESPN? I'd be happy. ;-)
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yup, you see that in lots of places-- contempt for your constituency.

Back when I was a cadet many, many years ago, I worked part time in a large psychiatric hospital.

Sitting in a ward meeting with the staff to review patient progress and treatment alternatives, we had discussed 4 or 5 particularly exasperating patients in a row when the ward psychiatrist (who spoke with a German accent) just plain lost it.

He grabbed a half dozen medical record folders off the stack we were working our way down, slammed them onto the floor, and exclaimed-- "If it wasn't for these damned patients, we could really run this ward efficiently."

True story!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I've noticed in a number of places (the 5 guy hamburger chain, Chipotle's, Paneras to name a few) when the cashier isn't busy at the register she/he has a whole host of other things to do, like cleaning the windows, straightening up the chairs and tables, etc. The key to not having idle time problems is to make sure it's all absorbed doing other tasks that are not particularly time sensitive.

Reply to
Robert Green

If the truth be known, I suspect most people are not "enamored" with those upon whom they depend for their livelihood. Doctors grumble about patients (who won't follow their COMMON SENSE orders); teachers grumble about the lousy students (and their pushy parents); cops complain about the criminals; etc.

OTOH, I don't know of anyone who was *forced* into a particular profession. So, it's sort of disingenuous to complain about something that *you* CHOSE to do! Tired of standing in knee-deep sewage? Then I guess PLUMBING was probably not a good career choice...

What's particularly galling (to me) is folks who provide products and services that are not "essential"... i.e., their customers could STOP using those and not be significantly inconvenienced in any way. Or, "commodity products" that a customer can EASILY and EFFORTLESSLY obtain from an alternative supplier!

E.g., for a bank, gas station, grocery store, etc. to not CHERISH its customers is just plain stupid -- there's another gas station on the opposing street corner, another bank down the block and another grocer somewhere within line of sight!

Reply to
Don Y

Better.

I pay $160 for DirecTv for a middle package, no HBO type premiums. We watch a lot of History, Nat Geo and the like. We have 2 DVR and 3 regular sets.

The $67 is landline phone and DSL internet 12/6

I had cable for years but the local cable company sucks. Overall, DTV has been reliable and good quality. OTA here is useless.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why should he have to do it? Comcast property, it is their obligation to track it. DTV sends me an email every month listing my equipment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Never heard of that. My wife goes to Jo-Anns all the time. Fabric cutting is done at the fabric station and they tag it. Checkout is done at the registers. She frequents three different stores and all are the same.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I understand. Your comment inspired me to send the corporate office and email about my recent experience at their check-out counter.

Reply to
Muggles

It must be a local thing then. I did email the corporate offices about the problem locally. I guess I'll see if they respond in next week.

Reply to
Muggles

DirecTV (local & sports, no HBO, movie channel etc.) DVR, two AT&T 4G cell lines (2gig data each), Verizon unlimited long distance landline + DSL + WIFI ----- about $300 total.

Too damn much !!!

If and when a phone can be implanted the wife would be the first customer.

If it were up to me the unlimited landline would go to local service only (911) & use the cells for long distance. Cell to cell anywhere in USA is included. If they don't have a cell then if its that important they can call me.

DirecTV is expensive and very good here, but Dish didn't offer ROOT, my goto sports station (Pirates & Pens). Steelers are on local channels.

3 hidef boxes and one lodef + DVR available to any of the 4 TV's.

Otherwise its Comfrigincast, the worst of the worst abominations !

Verizon (landline & DSL) can be a pain but if you bug them long and hard they will actually fix things.

Comcast: Reboot your TV - click. Actually happened! Thats when I took their equipment back to them in a kitty liter bucket and told them to keep the bucket, only useful thing here.

John

Reply to
John

Lowest channel tier TV and 124Mb/24Mb Internet from Comcast is ~$120

Ooma phone is ~$5/mo

AT$T U-Verse 6Mb/1Mb is $51/mo

Reply to
Leisure Suit Larry

OK Ed, thanks much! So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?

Reply to
Eagle

Uncle, You've said before, but can you clarify what's going on with your health? I don't like getting personal on this kind of venue, so don't answer if I'm getting too personal please.

Nosey Eagle

Reply to
Eagle

My Wife has that damn cell phone going all the time with text messenging and all the other options available with that phone.

Reply to
Eagle

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either one of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with two DVR. With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just never bothered replacing the second one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The home TV sure has came a long way. With the Direct TV I can record about

5 shows at once. Then every room can record and play back. I have 3 sets hooked up and an option for 4. Also can stream much of it to a wifi device.

I am using a Republic smart phone that costs $ 12 per month for unlimiated call and text and if around a wifi system unliminated internet. That thing will stream the TV around the house.

I just need to find time to watch some of the recorded shows. More stuff on than I have time to devote to the boob tube.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You're a strong Man Uncle, and you'll be up and running down the nurses in no time. :D

Reply to
Eagle

True...only the good die young! ????

Reply to