Hot water faucet won't stop dripping

My Eljer bathroom sink faucet has two handles and a spout. Twice I've replaced the washer under the hot water handle. Both times the dripping stopped for a few days and then started dripping again. It stops when I tighten the handle but is dripping again a couple of hours later. I'm sure I am putting the correct washer in. When does the internal unit itself have to be replaced? Thanks for any advice.

It could be that the seat the washer is sealing against is defective, has a burr, or mineral deposits. That will ruin the washer in short time.

I had a similar problem with my Crane faucet. I replaced washers, even cleaned and polished the seating surfaces. However, too much wear is too much wear. I ultimately had to replace the internals.
My internals cost $9 at Lowes and I made the replacement a joint project with my 7-year-old grandson. He did almost all the work (IOW, it's not a difficult project).
Remember that faucet internals come in Hot and Cold versions.
-Jason
Most likely the seat.........take a look here at this site. It will explain in detail of the fix. Read it carefully :-)
http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-do-faucet-repairs.htm
Dean