Washing Machine Won't Drain Completely

After completing a load of wash, a small amount of water remains in the tub but below the basket and clothes. I can see it through the holes in the bottom. We've been having some odor problems and I suspect this might be part of it. I suspect the water is forced against the wall during the spin and then flows down once it stops. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions about what might be wrong? This is a top loading Kenmore.

Reply to
temid4g

Sounds normal. There is still water in the hose going up to the sink or standpipe when the pump stops. It has nowwhere to go but back into the tub.

Reply to
gfretwell