Flat roof options

Have a house in Tucson with a flat roof. Has some ponding, but the Sun out here would dry a lake. Had some roofers look at it and now have conflicting suggestions. Roofer 1 says a fabric roof is best, roofer 2 says a built up roof with three layers of fiberglass and hot tar is best.

My question should be, what is the best roof system for a flat roof in Southern Arizona?

What really surprises me is their quotes. They are about $50 apart?? $7,500 for 3,500 sq. ft. +, +, + for any hidden stuff.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

An EPDM rubber pond with lots of old tires tied together in flat layers on top for shade. Flood with an inch of water in summertime.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Will the mosquitos be livestock or pets?

Reply to
bill allemann

I also recommend the rubber roof, but no tires or flooding.

Reply to
scott21230

Your existing roofing system is likely to have insulation material embedded, followed by a top layer of sand cement screet and last but not least water proofing material such as a membrane.

To redo the roof system, it is best to remove the existing system to ensure there is no overloading of the roof. In my experience with redoing my own flat roof several years back, I opted for removing the entire roofing system to the bare roof concrete. First layer was like a tar water proofing menbrane joined at the seams by some sort of flame heating guns. The second layer was 2" foam type insulation boards arranged like lap joints. The final layer was the sand cement screet done at a gradient for proper water drainage. It could be followed by another additional layer of water proofing membrane on top, but I did not take that option. I am still quite happy with it.

Reply to
a1esta

I also have a flat roof and had a rubber roof installed about 10 years ago at a cost of $6400, including removal of the existing tar/gravel roof. It is the kind that comes in rolls and the edges are melted together. Around here, East Texas, you don't get a very long guarantee period and it started leaking again about when the guarantee expired. I did get a discount on my homeowners insurance as they called it an "impact resistant" roof. I too am looking for a more permanent solution, so I wondered if any of you have actually used this product,

so, what did you like/dislike about it and would you recommend it?

Alana

Reply to
Alana Gibson