Water dripping from dehumidifier

There is water dripping from the base. It is not coming from the tank or the hose to the drain.

I replaced the last one when it kept freezing up.

But on this one there is no way to see the coils. Same problem, do you think?

It's 2 or 3 years old, and yeah I know these are basically consumables.

Reply to
TimR

If it is not coming out the drain, did you think that maybe the drain was plugged with crud, spider webs, dead bugs, etc?

Reply to
hrhofmann

plugged with crud, spider webs, dead bugs, etc?

Yeah, I didn't explain that well. The drip on the floor is from the base o f the dehumidifier. I've tried running it with the hose, or with just the internal tank, and it still drips from the same spot. I took the hose out, connected it to the garden hose, and ran a snake up it with water flowing so I know it is clear.

Reply to
TimR

Is the unit level?

They are typically not that hard to pull apart. I'd guess a clogged drain, or the catch pan rusted through.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If they get everyone to stop smoking, where will we get pipe cleaners?

Reply to
Micky

Okay, a drip could be from a clog somewhere, I can check that.

Or it could be from a frozen coil, which means the unit is trash.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
TimR

1) frozen coil not always fatal 2) rusted out drain pan
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've always thought a frozen coil was beyond repair on a dehumidifier.

Let me think out loud: 3 reasons for a coil to freeze, right? Low charge, which means a leak, unfixable; Low air flow, not the case with these units. Bad TXV - do these even have one or are they cap tubes? Either way, not fixable.

I don't think there's any metal to rust on these, it's all plastic, but I'll look.

Reply to
TimR

Is there condensation on the outside of the unit? If the humidity is hight, it could drip until it has run long enough to get the dew point down.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

1) Low charge, which means a leak, unfixable; CY: Yes, some times a low charge will result in low evaporator temps.

Low air flow, not the case with these units. CY: Many dehum pass air over the evap, and then through the cond. Very often, dust clogs and reduces air flow.

Bad TXV - do these even have one or are they cap tubes? CY: Usually cap tubes.

Either way, not fixable. CY: Can also be low ambient temp in the cellar. Dirty coils can be cleaned. Also the unit may be in a confined space, and unable to "breathe". Though, this would lead to higher temps as the heat from the motor.

Text inserted inline.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're an old timey-guy, why don't you use "nowadays"? One less key stroke...no, we all know you're a stroker.

Reply to
bob_villain

Nowadays, they're just made from hopes and dreams.

Reply to
Micky

We're waiting for Tim R to tell us what he found.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Didn't his cellar fill up last night, and he drowned?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon