Dehumidifier producing little water.

I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it has an issue by not producing enough water. Before i had to change bucket every 3 days and now it cant get full in a month. It does produce little water but not as much as before. When i put it on continuous run the very bottom of the coils forms ice. The filters are clean. I use this unit in finished basement. Also one thing i noticed is that the unit shows humidity at 40 while monitor in a room shows 50.Bad sensor? So i set the unit to lowest setting of 35. But still very little water is produced and unit is running hot and sometimes i can even smell burning so i turn it off.

Reply to
Max

Sounds like she's ready for the crapper. Not unusual for these modern units to only last a few years. I had one go that was maybe 2.5 years old. Fortunately, while I almost never buy an extended warranty, I had one on that unit. I had an online price and was negotiating with a local store. The manager offered a deal where he was close to their price with an extended warranty bundled in. So, I got a new one. But even then, they get you. They no longer had the same capacity unit, so I had to get one that was ~20% more capacity and they wanted like $25 more for that. Still, overall it worked out great. That one is about 3 years in now, still working.

With yours, have you checked that there is air flowing across the coils? There are only two things that need to happen, get the coils cold and move air across. A blocked filter, bad fan, or insufficient cooling are the possibilities. I think they also have a defrost cycle, so if that isn't working, it can ice up and block air, maybe that's what's happening, since you say it's forming ice on part of the coils.

Bottom line, if it's not something simple that you can fix yourself time to chuck it. Ten years ago I had a Sears. Blower went on it. So, I ordered a new blower for $50. That lasted a year. Ordered another one, that one blew up when I turned it on. Reading online, which I should have done first, I found that a lot of other people were having the exact same experience.

Reply to
trader_4

At 50% or less there won't be much water. In fact, I'd turn it off for the year at that point. Cheap humidistats often give reading off by 10% so either one may be incorrect.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ice on the coils often indicates that the refrigerant fluid is low. You may have developed a small leak.

I've been through a lot of dehumidifiers. It is really difficult to find one that lasts more than two years. Most die somewhere in the second year.

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper