Report back on external dehumidifier control

Sorry if I posed this before, but I think, when I originally posted it, the post fell in the bit bucket. So here it is, maybe again:

I previously reported that I got a replacement for the old Gree (GE) dehumidifier. I used the check to buy a Frigidaire unit and a few $$$ to spend. The unit is, as was reported, quiet ... er and others. Its fan does not run all the time, however it suffers from the problem, that when it shuts off, moisture on the coils creates a false internal control reading and restarts. Yeah, it did go through the goofy process of purging the air, etc. But, it seemed to be running for fairly short intervals many, many times. I previously reported that I was going to try an external humidity controller. I bought one of the WH8040 units on ebay. Of course, it was MIC (made in china), however, I resisted buying it directly from China. I know, many of the US based sellers are really just a mail drop and shipping places stateside. But anyway, it's connected and working. I had to install a small 120v coil relay, as the internal contacts of the WH8040 were marginal for the dehumidifier load. I mounted it all in a plastic box and mounted it about 6 or 7' from the dehumidifier. There is an external humidity sensor and temperature sensor. After playing with the humidity settings and the hysteresis setting, I'm happy to say it works great. BTW, I set the internal humidity setting on the dehumidifier to a very low setting, so that it will not interfere. It still, sometimes, plays the game of purging the air, before starting the compressor, but so what. The internal humidity setting in the humidifier has soooooo much lag. This one works the way you want it. I can tell it what humidity to keep and how much above before clicking on and how much below before shutting down. I can watch the humidity, on the display, go up untile the trigger point, and then down, to shut off. Now, why don't the build the humidifiers with an external control?

Reply to
Art Todesco

They probably don't build it in because the existing system apparently works well enough for most people and there is no mounting, extra work involved. If I were making them, I'd consider offering an external control as an optional accessory that you could buy separately and plug in to the higher end product line. I guess you could include it built-in in some skews and see how many people buy it. I would agree there probably is a market for it.

Reply to
trader_4

I guess I'm just in a cynical mood, but your competitors would all say theirs cost less and (in big letters on the box) "NO External Control Needed". Of course, you would get some sales from word of mouth from those who understand why your way is better, but most people believe what the boxes say.

Reply to
Pat

Yeah, I guess I agree, but the engineer in me wants it work right. But, my unit now works correctly. So, why not put the sensor in the plug, kinda like the GFI plugs on hair dryers, etc?

Reply to
Art Todesco