ceiling fan wiring

I'm replacing a lighted ceiling fan with a new one that has a transmitter that controls the fan speed and light kit. The instructions assume you only have three wires coming out of the ceiling (black, white, green) to hook up the receiver and fan. My ceiling fan has a wall switch that controls the light, but not the fan which is wired to be controlled by the fan chain. So I'm assuming there are four wires coming out of my ceiling with one of them being hot but only controlled by the switch.

Do I just cap off the extra wire when installing the new fan or do I connect it to the black wire? The wall switch will be covered by the bracket that holds the new fan's remote control. The manufacturer is closed today and I expect they would tell me to call an electrician anyway.

Reply to
badgolferman

Just cap the extra wire, a wire nut and some electrical tape should do it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Ask the electrical inspector when you get the permit.

Reply to
George Jetson

A permit to replace a ceiling fan?

I replaced a valve in the shower today. Do I need to call the inspector for that too?

Reply to
badgolferman

Just cap the extra wire, a wire nut and some electrical tape should do it.

Reply to
Tony944

You're kidding , right ? Requiring a permit to change a ceiling fan is really going way too far IMO . Next thing you know we'll be required to hire alicensed electrician to change a light bulb .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Technically, yes ans quite possibly. And if the house has aluminum mwiring you are "technically" not allowed to do the job even WITH a permit here in Ontario.

Reply to
clare

No, of course not. Don't be silly.

Reply to
George Jetson

In some towns, yes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A permit to replace a ceiling fan?

I replaced a valve in the shower today. Do I need to call the inspector for that too?

Yep did you have whoopee last night inspector need to know if she kept legs open!!!!!

Reply to
Tony944

You're kidding , right ? Requiring a permit to change a ceiling fan is really going way too far IMO . Next thing you know we'll be required to hire alicensed electrician to change a light bulb .

Reply to
Tony944

Sounds like you grew up in a place where the government has way too much control of your life ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's not so much to change it but to inspect the new lightbulb and determine if it is qualified or not.

Reply to
Micky

So as I understand it, at the fan box, you have one wire that is permanently hot, one wire that is controlled by the switch for the light. So, you could do what you want, which is to have both the fan and light work by remote control, by just using the one permanently hot wire and capping off the light wire.

For me whether that is functionally OK would depend on whether you use the light much. If it's rarely turned on, then what you're doing would be OK. If the light is one that is frequently used or the one typically used when entering the room, then I'd want it on a regular wall switch. Sounds like that fan doesn't accommodate that though.

Reply to
trader_4

No, it doesn't. There is a remote with fan and light controls. On the bright side there is also a bracket that gets installed over the existing wall plate where the remote can be placed. Unfortunately that's not as convenient as reaching in the dark room and flipping a switch.

Reply to
badgolferman

If it was me, I would leave the light (usually blue wire) on the switch and hook the fan up to the hot wire, using the remote for that.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is what I would like to do and why I wrote the original message in the first place. Has anyone actually bypassed the remote for light operations? I'm hoping it's as simple as you say.

Reply to
badgolferman

Just tie back the light wire coming out of the controller. There are probably instructions for this if you did not have a light kit in your fan.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did as you suggested and everything works fine! Thanks.

Reply to
badgolferman

Success! Great to hear a nice word now and again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon