dripping outdoor faucet

It's winter here in Illinois and I have a dripping outdoor "freeze-proof" faucet. Should I worry about it freezing up? What can I do until I can get it fixed?

Reply to
goof

Check to see if there is a valve upstream you can shut off. If so, turn that off. And wait until Spring. obtw, Spring starts on Monday :-) It shouldn't be too big of a job to fix it if all it needs is a washer. Just take it apart from the outside. Unscrew and pull out the stem and replace the washer.

Reply to
No Spam

Sounds like the washer needs replace not that big of a job, if it keeps on dripping and ice plugs up the faucet its going to split and than you have to replace the faucet.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Thanks but its a frostproof faucet and from what I have heard its easier to replace the whole thing than just the washer.

Reply to
goof

It probably depends on what type you have, but you could have been BS'd. See

for a typical picture. Remove handle screw and handle. Remove packing nut. Use handle to unscrew stem from seat. Pull out stem. Replace washer. reassemble. No big deal where I live.

Reply to
No Spam

Hi, Not so. Just pull out the stem which is about foot long and there is washer. Freeze proof means the shut off washer/seat is on the inside of the wall and the faucet is tilted downward slightly to drain water. If you want to replace the whole thing then make sure you get same length one or longer than what you have.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Don't know if it makes any difference but the brand name is "quartermaster"

Reply to
goof

If it freeze's after the washer and splits the pipe when you turn on the water, water will exit in two places the place where its split and where it should normally, here in the midwest, some freeze proof faucets have to exit from concrete blocks, or sealed walls, that being said when you turn on the water the wall will get wet, or the cement block will fill with water.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Probably not. But you don't seem to be too sure of yourself. Maybe you should call a plumber. Or maybe you have a friend, spouse, etc that is fairly handy to help you.

Good luck.

Reply to
No Spam