Honda Generators

Page 2 of 5
On 8/3/2012 7:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He's using a visual aid, an oscilloscope. The old way was to get a sheet of paper, pencil and pair of wires. Stick the wires in your mouth, hold the pencil to the paper then turn on the electricity. Your hand will jerk around drawing the waveform of the voltage. To get a drawing of the current waveform the wires must first be hooked to your testicles then follow the same procedure as before. ^_^
TDD
I learn so much from you. What would I ever do without you?
On 8/3/2012 7:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He's using a visual aid, an oscilloscope. The old way was to get a sheet of paper, pencil and pair of wires. Stick the wires in your mouth, hold the pencil to the paper then turn on the electricity. Your hand will jerk around drawing the waveform of the voltage. To get a drawing of the current waveform the wires must first be hooked to your testicles then follow the same procedure as before. ^_^
TDD

Called an oscilloscope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscilloscope
Greg

Most electronic equipment today uses SMP supplies which are quite tolerant of poor waveforms - actually a lot better than older transformer input stuff.

There was recently a long thread in electronic group recently. Reported distorted waveforms, and problems loading on side of the 240 split.
Greg

Distorted waveforms, within reason of course, aren't a problem for most SMPSs. PC power supplies, for instance, will take just about anything. They have a rectifier right in the front end and switch that voltage up to a few hundred volts and step down from there. This isn't at all uncommon in electronic appliances anymore. Anything with a transformer in the front end will balk at crappy waveforms, though.

Put a 3 stage EMC line filter in series with your electronics. One stage a waste of time. Schematic is often shown on the side. A 10A unit is a large block, but will provide a lot of protection against higher frequency spikes - the type of spikes most 'inexpensive' electronics do not protect against.

The clerk at HF said they were only returned for being too loud.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

One nice thing about Honda generators is that they're quiet.
That quietness enables you to hear all your neighbor's generators during a power outage.
On 8/3/2012 7:03 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Keeps the generator thieves from looking for one at your place during a disaster. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Oooh! Good point! But, if you can't hear the generator, how do you know it's gone?... Never mind.
I have burglar-bar doors and chain my generator to the door. For others, it seems trivial to sink an eye-bolt to the brick facade (or similar).

We are supposed to keep generators away from any structure for their fire and carbon monoxide hazards, and protected from the weather.
On 8/3/2012 11:46 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've installed many a generator inside a structure. The exhaust is piped outside and a ventilation fan runs off generator power. Of course regular inspections are necessary along with a carbon monoxide detector. The cooling air for the genset can also be ducted to facilitate ventilation. The indoor installations are often much more secure. ^_^
TDD
HeyBub wrote:

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I've wondered how real that threat is, when your little generator tries to drive everyone else's furnace, refrigerator motor and electric water heater loads. Maybe there is a spike before the breaker pops. Anyway here the linemen ground the 19.9 KV line before doing anything else.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

With a big enough genset the threat is real . As I showed the guys that repaired my line the last time , when I close the main from the pole my genset dies from the load . The neighbors around here don't shut anything down , and the start load has been known to trip mains in the substations ... Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If a lineman ASSUMES the line he's about to work on is un-powered, AND he's working without rubber gloves and assorted other safety equipment, you might be doing your whole city a favor...
On 08/03/2012 05:33 PM, Stormin Mormon top-posted:

Backfeeding is illegal here and the local AHD and the POCO are cracking down on it. If they catch you backfeeding, they disconnect at the transformer and will not restore service until an electrical inspection is passed. Basic electrical inspections are $250 and the utility charges an additional $75 reconnect fee. I suspect the electrical inspector could flag any other violations he finds so repair costs could escalate.
Seems to me it would be cheaper (and safer) to put in a proper interlock kit...but that's just me. ;-)