Would have been a Maplin purchase

I need to build a controller up in a plastic project box ...

Idea will be 2 x single AC mains sockets, and above each one a temperature control module

In previous days it would have been a quick trip to Maplin ...... as they are no more, are there any other good on-line sources, or is it an eBay search.

Thinking back I used to have a new Watford Electronics and Maplin catalogue each year, they were great sources ..... as RS at that time would not sell to non-account holders.

Reply to
rick

or

They do now... as does CPC and Rapid (and for that matter Mouser and Digikey)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just about my standard list too CPC, Rapid, possibly RS and for individual small items eBay and AliExpress.

Reply to
Chris Green

For small components, Cool Components. Nice guy.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Something similar to an online equivalent of Maplin is

Steve Walker

All the major players like CPC and RS sell to anyone these days. But may not be best for a small purchase due to a handling charge and P&P.

Ebay is usually a better choice for the odd project box that you'd have gone to Maplin for. (and usually found to not stock it at your store)

But do check it is UK stock if delivery time is important.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes the lack of Maplin and Tandy has really been felt by home electronics folk.I'm no longer able to make things like that but I used to and its always fun to use things you have made yourself.

There are still a few hobby related shops but many have closed due to the rates they need to pay these days. Some Ham radio outlets still stock boxes and plugs and sockets and some bespoke audio shops stock good quality connectors, but when it comes to bits of old wire and the like left over from warehouses, often the mail order or online folk are where you can get a bargain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

+1, but Amazon also does a good range of project boxes now, many with Prime.
Reply to
newshound

Rapid Electronics or CPC.

Reply to
charles

Yep appreciate that ... but for a couple of items shipping is usually too high.

Reply to
rick

Thnx .. not heard of them before.

Reply to
rick

Conrad shops were excellent for electronic hobbyists when I lived in Germany. I believe they opened an operation in the UK a while back so that's another avenue which could be worth investigating.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They shut the bricks and mortar stores and the separate co.uk website, still sell to the UK though, have only used them once ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, their prices are fairly competitive but often their carriage charges are somewhat excessive. It varies a lot from item to item though, some things are just plain expensive from Conrad.

Reply to
Chris Green

Just checked and Rapid are owned by Conrad, do they stock all the same lines?

Reply to
Andy Burns

They list a lot of Conrad stuff, but beware that it's often on 'delivered within 2-3 weeks' kind of timeline. Which might not be what you want for short term projects. I assume they're warehousing it in Germany and shipping it over on demand.

The Rapid catalogue seems somewhat more a list of things they can hopefully get one day, than the list of core lines they could get to you 'Rapid'ly that it used to be.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No, not at all, obviously there's some overlap though. They're definitely more different than CPC and Farnell for instance, the CPC and Farnell web sites obviously come from the same stable but Rapid and Conrad don't (yet?).

Reply to
Chris Green

Which is why it's worth checking Ebay. Many firms there are geared up for small value purchases.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News