Would you buy a Ryobi Pressure Washer from Home Depot

From: Michael Bushey Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500 psi range. Where I live in Maine is very rural. Only one local dealer sells them, a John Deere dealer that has a 2700 psi with a Honda engine for $899. This unit is noticeably heavy duty in the appearance of fittings and hose. It

has a 1 year warranty.

Our localHome Depot is having a special on a Ryobi washer with a 7hp Subaru engine, 3 year warranty, cost $500. This is a 3000 psi machine. The machines hoses and fittings look more consumer grade than professional. I checked with

all our local small engine dealers and only one will repair this unit. In fact that is where Home Depot gets its warranty service done. So buying this machine is obviously a gamble. Since this is a big promo here has anyone had experience with the Depot machine or the John Deer for that matter?

We also have a Sears, I would buy things I could exchange there but service is bad. I needed a typewriter reapaired once, 6 months later and many phone calls later nothing had been done

Reply to
Michael Bushey

Having owned a couple of Ryobi tools, NO, I'd not buy anything with their name on it. As you can already see, minimal support down the road.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one of those people.

Reply to
JimL

How often are you going to use this tool? If it is once a year, why not rent? If it is a few times a year, the Ryobi will probably do well - as you noted, it is a "consumer" targeted item. If you're going into the pressure washing business, you want the John Deere..

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Michael Bushey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.tdstelme.net:

I wouldn't buy any equipment from HomeDepot. They are cheats. This past winter a customer was returning a snow thrower that he only used 1 time and it died. They told him it would be repaired only and it was going to take

5 weeks - in the dead of winter! Jerk off store.
Reply to
RobertPatrick

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I personally prefer a store that doesn't allow returns. I know I'm getting new, unused equipment when I purchase from them.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

Reply to
JimL

Would I buy a pressure washer from HD? No! I would not buy anything that may need service down the road. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Mail-order from Northern Tools .. .. .. get one with a Honda motor & CAT pump. Honda dealers are everywhere (not that you should need one .. they are absolute workhorses) & CAT pumps last forever. Cost is a little more, but the value is tremendous.

Michael Bushey wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

JimL wrote: ...

No and yes... :)

A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...

B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise, say so.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

RobertPatrick wrote: I wouldn't buy any equipment from HomeDepot. They are cheats. This past winter a customer was returning a snow thrower that he only used 1 time and it died. They told him it would be repaired only and it was going to take 5 weeks - in the dead of winter! Jerk off store.

============

Stop. Think. Why does this store (and many others) now have restrictive return policies on certain items? Think hard. Is the phase "free tool rental" part of the store name?

There are a number of items which many retailers will no longer allow you to return:

1) Snowblowers 2) Powerwashers 3) Laptop computers 4) Tile saws 5) Digital cameras or camcorders 6) Emergency power generators

Etc.

Retailers just can't afford to become a free tool rental outlet for folks who enjoy "buying" a tool and then returning it after the de facto "free rental." Retailers are also concerned about dealing with returns of physically large items which "don't work" because morons can't read the owners manual. Their cost of handling and returning that snowblower (which could work fine) to the manufacturer can be considerable.

I spoke with a Ryobi customer rep this past week and he commented on their somewhat large number of returned items, which Ryobi must then sell at a discount as reconditioned items. Most returns, he said, are the result of customers who lack common sense and/or reading comprehension. Stall gas in small gasoline engines. Or kerosene in small gasoline engines. Failure to mix oil with gasoline for 2 cycle engines or failure to fill the oil crankcase on 4 cycle engines. Etc.

All honest and smart consumers share in the cost of enabling dumb or dishonest consumers who abuse return policies.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Duane,

You describe an idea world, but unfortunately too many items get returned and reshelved as new. Many store employees don't even ask if the returned item is damaged.

Smart consumers ALWAYS ask about return policies on items which could be "no return to store" items.

Gideon

======

No and yes... :)

A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...

B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise, say so.

Reply to
Gideon

Michael -- I'll offer a little different viewpoint -- I now have three pressure washers -- a 2500 psi unit I bought from Home Depot, with a Briggs & Stratton engine; a Sears Craftsman 2500 psi unit, and one more.

I bought the HD unit to have a robust capability to clean driveways, decks, siding, etc. I used it a few times, changed the oil, and then got wrapped up in business and didn't use it for about six months. The next time I pulled it out it wouldn't start and needed the engine overhauled due to lack of use. I couldn't wait (and my wife worked at Sears) so I bought a second unit, which I use intermittently for heavier-duty uses. Drag it out, check the oil level, refuel, etc. Fire it up and use it. Also got the HD unit repaired.

But last fall I saw a Husky electric pressure cleaner -- 1400 psi -- for $69, including soap injector and a floor cleaner attachment. I didn't see how I could go wrong for $69, and bought it. I use it ten times for each time I pull out the heavy duty units. It's about half the size of a canister vacuum cleaner, light and easy to move around, quiet, shuts off whenever I stop spraying. I use it everywhere -- cleaned the driveway, washed out the garage, did the windows, washed the garage doors and stucco, cleaned the deck. I don't have to be quite as careful about damaging wood surfaces, and it's much easier to use than the gasoline-powered models. Right now about the only time I use the heavy duty machines is to make sure I exercise their engines.

Some day I'm sure the Husky unit will start to leak around the seals, or have other problems, and rather than repair it I'll just dispose of it -- and probably buy another. But the $69 purchase price was less than the engine overhaul on the gas unit, and I don't have any gasoline refill costs.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that you take a good look at your "requirements" and make sure you really need the size and expense of the larger units, and that a smaller, less expensive (and perhaps shorter-lived) electric unit won't meet your requirements. -- Regards

Reply to
World Traveler

Do you have a Sherwin Williams near you? They have one powered by a 6-3/4 hp B&S for $299, also have more professional models for more.

Check out page 2 &4 of this link.

I work for JD in a delivery aspect. We run our equipment, and I do not think very highly of their engineering, especially on their skid-steers or Gators.

Reply to
Josh

There isnt anything wrong with Home Depot. Its how you use and maintain the equipment. As for Ryobi, its a cheaper line.... Take a look at the pump and see who makes it. If its some off shot make, i'd stay away. Finding parts might be an issue. You can always go on the net and do a search or two on the pump brand.

The better ones at HD are the Honda GX series motors and generally have a decent pump on them. (I prefer little giant pumps myself)

Reply to
BocesLib

Gideon, You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

While waiting to return items at HomeDepot, I have seen SO MANY PEOPLE try to return items just like you've said. Used on one job and return it to get their money back. Its about time that they say no more.

Nobody even thinks that when they cost the company money by taking back rented equipment the money is then made back by jacking up the prices on everything else.

There is nothing wrong with getting your equipment from small engine shops, just because you bought it there doesnt alway mean that the'll service it right away either. Around the first snow storm, they're bombarded by the usual people who leave gas in the tank all year or who never lubed/tuned it up. Serves ya right for not testing the unit sometime before the first blizzard hits!

Reply to
BocesLib

But they can't re-package it as new packaging....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Same here, Ryobi seems to be a line made for big box stores so they could sell something that *looks* like a real tool.

Reply to
George

But they can't re-package it as new packaging....

On some large items that may be correct, but on most items returned to stores it is easy to resell the item as new. On certain types of items, I now examine the contents before making the purchase. I've been burned in the past when opening a package at home and discovering that the item was a return which showed very obvious signs of abuse. Hell, even a large snowblower which is returned can get wiped off and sold as a "floor model" at full retail or nearly full retail.

Reply to
Gideon

The fittings and hoses are important. I have a Karcher with a Honda engine, purchased at Costco for $300. The hose and fittings were very low-end. The hose lasted about one year. I purchased a much heavier duty (and longer) hose, as well as quick release fittings, and I am much happier with it. I also purchased a hose reel (from Sears) which makes storing the hose a lot easier.

Home Depot does not have good quality pressure washers. I would avoid them. The Sears pressure washers do not have the Honda engines.

If you use it a lot, buy the commercial grade, not the residential grade machine. Though my concrete contractor uses the same Karcher model from Costco that I use, and uses it a lot more than I do.

Reply to
scharf.steven