Home Depot Rant

Page 7 of 11

Ridiculous.
You do realize that HD hires carpet companies to install their carpet? So I don't know how it would be installed any better.
A glass company I used to work for yrs ago used to install HD's shower doors for them. We did just a good a job with their doors as we did our own.

I guess things are the same everywhere, even though they're not. That explains the complaints seen here sometimes about HD.

I've been shopping there for yrs, and I've never had a problem.
One thing I don't like, are those new DIY checkouts they installed, but the grocery store I shop at also uses them, so I guess that is just "progress".
BTW, I went to an AC/heating store a while back to buy some duct board and they wouldn't sell me a thermostat I liked....said they couldn't sell electrical parts to the public. Huh?

You've been lucky. Or, your store has one of the three good HD managers. Rumor has it there's a fourth one somewhere.

That sort of makes sense. Look at some of the thermostat questions posted here. Many of them can be summarized as "I don't know squat about this, but I watch the cooking channel a lot, so I think I could install a thermostat." The specialty stores don't want people coming back saying they blew up the electronics in their furnaces. I suppose they could offer a different service arrangement for the clueless, but how would they tell who's who? It's not always obvious.

sometimes the cheapest thermostat setback device, and it works without batteries and programming, is located just beyond the wrist. -b

Not every installer does a good job. HD hires the lowest bidder, good or bad.
Ron wrote:

They hire the lowest bidder, and they get a cut. Pretty simple.
For a simple installation it may make no difference. For a complicated installation, with a lot of stairs, different types of stairs, and transitions to other types of flooring, it can make a big difference.
They also are very expensive compared to most discount carpet stores.
In San Francisco, you want to gravitate to the areas with all the building supply stores, and look for the Chinese stores. Send in a Cantonese speaker to do the transaction. For stuff like carpet, tile, granite, marble, cultured marble and granite, and cabinetry, you'll be at about 50-60% of what Home Depot or Lowe's charges.

Just because someone is the lowest bidder doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing.
Like I said, the company I used to work for installed their shower doors and we were considered one of the best glass companies in town. (they're still considered one of the best)
It's also the same deal with big construction jobs. In order to get the work you have to out bid the other companies. I remember working for a very small company one time and we routinely out bid the big boys.
That is how you build that type of business and get a good reputation.
Ron wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

make up for it on volume.

I always wondered who made those!
on 1/4/2008 4:59 PM Ron said the following:

I used to make them, but the McLaughlin Widget Company undersold them and ran me out of business
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hah! Very good!
willshak wrote:
SNIPS

ROTFL.
Damn, I'm good. (g)
Ron wrote:

Please!
If you will turn off your html and post in text only, your posts will not be so irritating and difficult to read. This is usenet after all.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Ah, I'm posting through Google, there isn't any HTML.
Maybe your settings are off?

Robert, you're complaining to the wrong guy about the wrong problem. You *should* be complaining to Steve (to whom Ron replied) about his use of a peculiar character set in his 'From:' headers. I see no HTML in any of the posts by either of them.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:11:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, high ASCI
Oren --
Doug Miller wrote:

My mistake. I am getting a horrendous large type post from whomever is setting it that way. Steve, if it is you, please stop. I assumed it was html from the garbled text that comes up on my screen.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I checked the posts though a "real" news reader and I think it may be "SMS???.?" that has the problem. Funny thing is, his post look more like plain text than anyone else.

The SMS wimp is using high ASCII in his email - as Doug said - the From line in the header.
Do not reply with the ASCII in the thread, clip it out.
My threads are text, but a reply and the reader burped!
Oren --