Home Depot Rant

Yes, Wegmans has become a very dependable merchant now that they have consistently low prices on most of their stuff. I don't bother to compare prices with Tops as much anymore, but I will check Tops' ads for certain cuts of meat that I can't easily find at the nearby Wegmans (I have both stores within a mile of me, very close to each other) or that are just too huge at BJs. I find Tops annoying in that they're still doing weekly price markdowns on certain items, like the drugstores do, and I just can't be bothered, but I know a lot of people track their sales since they buy that stuff (I don't).

I tend to shop the Public Market for produce, plus I'll go to the meat wholesalers, but I have to admit that Wegmans is often good on basic stuff, especially their club packs of chicken and beef (can't argue with $1.79/lb. for breasts with ribs or $1.99/lb. for boneless breasts, week in and week out). My mother loves going to Wegmans when she visits Rochester.

I don't shop Wegmans for beer, though, too expensive. ;) Southtown Beverage is my regular vendor, with an ever changing selection and consistently great prices (Old Vienna, made by Molson, is always $12.99 a case).

WalMart is just an unpleasant shopping experience for me, and it's farther away, too.

Reply to
KLS

Centrally located near 3 colleges - the people who run that place must be millionaires!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you own a farm, that's probably happening already !

Reply to
Anonymous

No, but they do have a response to the "national health care crisis"

Find a (perceived) need and fill it, I always say.

"... I went to one of those medical clinics in Wal-Mart..."

HeyBub

I suggest the "organized citizenry" is beyond corrupt; it is merely mob rule.

Turn the proposal around. The organized citizenry was not good for Walmart, therefore their motives and reasons should be ignored. If the decision rests on whether someone dislikes the proposal, then Walmart's (presumed) dislike for the neighbors' ideas should be similarily discounted. The argument "But we don't like it" is just as valid coming from Walmart.

Fortunately, that issue doesn't come up in my town (Houston); we don't have zoning.

On the other hand, some years ago the neighbors living in the flight path of LAX began demanding that flights be curtailed over their neighborhood during the nighttime hours. They picketed, filed suit, and, in general, made a nusiance of themselves. The fact that the runway was there LONG before the homeowners was somehow lost on them.

What they didn't consider was that LAX was a division of state government. LAX condemed the land that harbored this nest of malcontents, paid them a pittance, and extended the runway.

In the case of the activists in Wichita, I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart let the conflict die down then persuade the city council to evict all the subversives via eminent domain so the property could be sold to Walmart, thereby enhancing tax revenues. Probably a blighted area anyway.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you factor in driving etc., then here WM will be the big winner. They're opening a new one about as far from me as the two closest grocery stores, Jewel and Dominick's (the latter a subsidiary of Safeway). Almost everything at Jewel is cheaper at WM; certainly everything at Dominick's is cheaper at either of the other two. We routinely drive about 12 miles to go to a different store; gets us fresher stuff and saves us money. And we still pick up an item or three at WM to save a few cents, if we happen to be at WM.

Reply to
clifto

It varies by market area. Before WM even dreamed of being a big player in the grocery biz, Wegman's and a handful of other grocery chains dreamt up a brilliant idea for exercising a certain amount of control over the prices they pay the manufacturers. It still works. Years ago, when the CEO of Wegman's was asked about the entry of WM into the local grocery market, he basically yawned.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Zemin.- Hide quoted text -

I'm in Mokena, to mention Dominicks you must live close to me. But from our experience Dominicks is by far the most expensive of the three.

Reply to
RickH

I thought I said that. And they used to be so inexpensive, with great selection, before Safeway glommed them.

Reply to
clifto

It is funny how this discussion keeps geting to cheaper people retail is the mess it is cause you don't want to pay for service and thats why you can't find clerks in stores you go to. You want to bring back everything even after you have opened it up and made a mess of it lost the parts , toilets that leak when all you need is a plumber as I can do it Iam one , Thermostates that you don't have the balls top admit you don't know what you are doing just doesn't work . all of these things cost stores big time and you in turn so the next time you open the box and take the one behind it cost you remember that.

Reply to
jim

And it is almost impossible to own a family bussiness now and jobs go overseas cuase of the cheaper policy of Wallmart and Wallmart don't care that it closes a plant look at rubbermaid

Reply to
jim

They also used to cater to local ethnic tastes by neighborhood, when Safeway took over it became all white bread and milk. With the old Dominicks at Christmas you could get the fresh Polish herring, in the summer great Italian sausage all made in the store. We stopped using Safeway/Dominicks a few years ago due to the expense and ho-hum food.

Reply to
RickH

As strange as it may seem, foreign companies employ more Americans than the reverse.

Besides, Adam Smith ("The Wealth of Nations") settled this hash in the 18th century. Everybody benefits when countries (actually the people in them) do what they do best.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is what I love about Wegmans: the food selection varies from store to store, depending on who lives in the neighborhood. I know I can't find ham hocks in the store near me, but if I travel to a different neighborhood with a different population, I can find them. Same for the international food choices.

Reply to
KLS

Wegman's is amazing. Other supermarket chains don't even try. It's pathetic.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The only way Wal Mart could close Rubbermaid is to own it. They don't.

The suppliers to WalMart are greedy too and want the big volume business. Read about Vlasic Pickles

Then read about how a company can say no to WalMart and be a success

Edwin Pawlowski

I don't mind paying for service when I want and get service. I don't need service to buy a jar of pickles or a washcloth.

Some do, I don't.

That's real nice. Tell me how I can find a plumber who knows his ass from my drain, and won't cheat me.

On the contrary, I do happen to know what I'm doing, probably more so than you when it comes to things electronic.

Reply to
clifto

They had amazing selection, to be sure. There's only one other store I ever found that much selection in, and it's gradually going away from the obscure brands.

Reply to
clifto