Home Depot Rant

Page 5 of 11

wrote in message

That does not make the right. As I've stated, HD, Lowed, or WalMart has never forced any store out of business. Just show me where that is true.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It seems you just described how big box drives small businesses out of business and its pretty simple.
It is a proven thing that you can make people believe anything you want them to by constantly repeating your message. Big box stores have big warchests and are able to do this.

wrote in message

Look at the success of Wal Mart. They've got millions of people convinced that their grocery prices are cheaper, and IN SOME MARKET AREAS, this is simply not true. And yet, people believe the signs hanging in the stores. They don't even bother to compare prices.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

At least in our area, if you buy all your groceries in one stop, Walmart is usually the cheapest. But if you shop different stores, there is a good number of individual items that you'll find cheaper at other stores.
Walmart is also given to opportunistic price jumps. We were going there for eggs almost exclusively, as we could get jumbo eggs for 99 cents a dozen. Suddenly one day they were $2.59; all the eggs took a massive price jump. I refuse to buy eggs there now on principle, though I have to admit the principle is easy to follow since they're now about the most expensive around for eggs. Mr. Sam is rolling in his grave.
--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

Here (Rochester NY), we have Wegmans, which is the best grocery chain in America according to execs at OTHER grocery chains, Tops, a lesser chain, and Wal Mart, although most WM stores here don't carry produce & meats - just dry grocery and maybe some dairy & frozen. Once or twice a year, our local newspaper takes the same GROCERY shopping list to all three stores. WM has never come out cheaper for the whole list, which contains roughly $100 worth of stuff. Wegmans or Tops always comes out cheaper by five or ten bucks.
I've mentioned this to a few WM faithfuls, and they said "Yeah but still....they're cheaper on some stuff." There's no point in talking to them. Granted, some people have time to go to three different stores for all the best deals, but I don't. Even if I did have the time, I'd have to factor in the price of gasoline. What do I save after driving for a total of 30-40 minutes at 35 mph, hitting 27 red lights, with gas at $3+ per gallon? I could've spent that time breaking the club packs of meat into smaller servings at home and putting it in the freezer. Then, have a beer.
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:19:40 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Yes, Wegmans has become a very dependable merchant now that they have consistently low prices on most of their stuff. I don't bother to compare prices with Tops as much anymore, but I will check Tops' ads for certain cuts of meat that I can't easily find at the nearby Wegmans (I have both stores within a mile of me, very close to each other) or that are just too huge at BJs. I find Tops annoying in that they're still doing weekly price markdowns on certain items, like the drugstores do, and I just can't be bothered, but I know a lot of people track their sales since they buy that stuff (I don't).
I tend to shop the Public Market for produce, plus I'll go to the meat wholesalers, but I have to admit that Wegmans is often good on basic stuff, especially their club packs of chicken and beef (can't argue with $1.79/lb. for breasts with ribs or $1.99/lb. for boneless breasts, week in and week out). My mother loves going to Wegmans when she visits Rochester.
I don't shop Wegmans for beer, though, too expensive. ;) Southtown Beverage is my regular vendor, with an ever changing selection and consistently great prices (Old Vienna, made by Molson, is always $12.99 a case).
WalMart is just an unpleasant shopping experience for me, and it's farther away, too.

Centrally located near 3 colleges - the people who run that place must be millionaires!
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you factor in driving etc., then here WM will be the big winner. They're opening a new one about as far from me as the two closest grocery stores, Jewel and Dominick's (the latter a subsidiary of Safeway). Almost everything at Jewel is cheaper at WM; certainly everything at Dominick's is cheaper at either of the other two. We routinely drive about 12 miles to go to a different store; gets us fresher stuff and saves us money. And we still pick up an item or three at WM to save a few cents, if we happen to be at WM.

It varies by market area. Before WM even dreamed of being a big player in the grocery biz, Wegman's and a handful of other grocery chains dreamt up a brilliant idea for exercising a certain amount of control over the prices they pay the manufacturers. It still works. Years ago, when the CEO of Wegman's was asked about the entry of WM into the local grocery market, he basically yawned.

I'm in Mokena, to mention Dominicks you must live close to me. But from our experience Dominicks is by far the most expensive of the three.
RickH wrote:

I thought I said that. And they used to be so inexpensive, with great selection, before Safeway glommed them.

It is funny how this discussion keeps geting to cheaper people retail is the mess it is cause you don't want to pay for service and thats why you can't find clerks in stores you go to. You want to bring back everything even after you have opened it up and made a mess of it lost the parts , toilets that leak when all you need is a plumber as I can do it Iam one , Thermostates that you don't have the balls top admit you don't know what you are doing just doesn't work . all of these things cost stores big time and you in turn so the next time you open the box and take the one behind it cost you remember that.
jim wrote:

I don't mind paying for service when I want and get service. I don't need service to buy a jar of pickles or a washcloth.

Some do, I don't.

That's real nice. Tell me how I can find a plumber who knows his ass from my drain, and won't cheat me.

On the contrary, I do happen to know what I'm doing, probably more so than you when it comes to things electronic.

They also used to cater to local ethnic tastes by neighborhood, when Safeway took over it became all white bread and milk. With the old Dominicks at Christmas you could get the fresh Polish herring, in the summer great Italian sausage all made in the store. We stopped using Safeway/Dominicks a few years ago due to the expense and ho-hum food.
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:06:45 -0800 (PST), RickH

This is what I love about Wegmans: the food selection varies from store to store, depending on who lives in the neighborhood. I know I can't find ham hocks in the store near me, but if I travel to a different neighborhood with a different population, I can find them. Same for the international food choices.

Wegman's is amazing. Other supermarket chains don't even try. It's pathetic.
RickH wrote:

They had amazing selection, to be sure. There's only one other store I ever found that much selection in, and it's gradually going away from the obscure brands.

FACT: Big box stores opened, smaller specialty stores closed.
There is no place in this town where someone without a contractor's license can buy plumbing supplies except the big boxes. There is one electrical supplier that will sell to anyone. --There are a couple hardware stores left, but selections are limited & prices are high. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
wrote in message

Where is "this town"? Sounds like there's a business opportunity.

Flint, Michigan