Home Depot Rant

Page 2 of 11
Ron wrote:

I already know where all the real suppliers are, so I don't have to look. In addition, any trip to the big box stores usually means a second trip to the real suppliers because the borgs don't have what I need. Where am I saving money?
Sample conversations:
Where is your 22' fir 2x8s?
We don't carry those.
Where is your 2" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" sanitary Y in PVC?
We don't carry those.
Where are your 20' lengths of 3" PVC conduit?
We don't carry those.
Etc., Etc.
If they did carry them, they would be twice as much as my real suppliers.
Example:
2-1/4" wedge casing, finger joint, paint grade at Lowes is 77 cents a foot. At BMC West it is 43 cents per foot. And I can get whatever lengths that I want. I am not restricted to 16'. I suppose that I could stand at that cutting station and cut off 2' of each stick so that I could buy all 14's, but my time is valuable and that is a lot of waste. BMC will deliver it to my jobsite in the lengths that I want, WHEN I want. For half the price. (Especially when you consider that Lowes charges for deliveries and BMC doesn't.)
Etc., etc.
Where would I be saving money? Where would I be saving time?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I'm talking home repair here, not building houses. lol
Ron wrote:

Every time I try to go to HD with a shopping list I remember why I hate HD. There's always at least two items on the list I simply can't find and the help is worthless.
One night last week I got so PO'd that I just left a cart full of plumbing stuff sitting in the middle of the aisle and walked out of the store. I think it was when they were out of buckets when I lost it and resigned myself to postponing my shopping until Saturday morning.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Since my favorite electrical place is closed on Sundays, I went to HD last spring for a couple of fluorescent fixtures for the basement. Big display, model numbers are clearly visible on the nice big posters next to each fixture, and the boxes were neatly stacked on the shelves below. Should be easy, right?
Wrong. The model number on the poster didn't match any box on the shelves. I found the so-called "electric guy", who came over, pointed to a certain box and said "This is probably the one. It's the right size." I asked him to get the manager. The manager came over and was as clueless as the clerk unit. I pointed to the UPC code on a likely looking box and asked if it would help to enter it into his computer. He said "No, probably not." I left. Fuck it. If they can't identify their own products, why help them learn? I'd be happy to train their babies. They can pay me $200 an hour for the aggravation.
There used to be a woman there who knew the place like the back of her hand. I complimented her about it. She said she usually snuck in 20 minutes early so she could wander the aisles she wasn't familiar with. What a concept. A month later, she was gone.

After all of my posts today about never having problems with HD, I went there to get a sprinkler head.
While walking around the store I had four employees in less than ten minutes ask me if I needed any help. I also had at least four other employees ask me if I was having a nice day.
Guess it just depends on the store or maybe even the state/town/area. Orlando here.
Ron wrote:

I'm sure it does, I have several HDs near my house and there's definitely an order of preference. Unfortunately the absolute worst one is also the closest. :(
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Often, HD has what I need, but not what I want. better selection at many other stores. Often cheaper prices too.

Huh?
Do you mean what you want, but not what you need?
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 06:58:44 -0800, Larry Caldwell

All the stores carried the part *in theory*, it's just that all but one were out of stock at the moment. There's no guarantee that a specialty store would have it in stock either. The last time I went to a plumbing specialty store they were out of whatever it was I went in for.
(Ashton Crusher) says...

Yeah, but it only took you 5 minutes to find that out, as opposed to half an hour at a big box store. Depending on location the big box stores can also be substantially more expensive than specialty stores for many items. In my area, Home Depot and Lowes are about 20% above lumber yard prices for lumber.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Ron wrote:

I usually call the real stores and tell them what I want. They either deliver it to the jobsite, or pull the items and they are sitting on the counter when I get there.
I don't shop at Home Depot. They are too dishonest and uncaring for me. I do go to Lowes upon occasion, when I want a wax ring for a toilet or a box of nails. I never go there if what I need is important. I don't like wasting my time that much.
My plumbing supply stays open even on sundays!
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id &174028
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Ron wrote:

Another thing to consider is that real stores will deliver stuff without you having to run to them and pick through piles of lumber to find good stuff etc.
I did a deck on the house and emailed a list of materials to the local lumber yard and they delivered it. Every piece of lumber was good quality. The neighbor is a big box fan and they have him trained that they are the only game in town. He saw the quality of the lumber and remarked "you must have been at the depot all day picking these out?" . I got the deer in headlights look when I told him the local lumber yard had picked and delivered for me.
I have a rental apartment and the boiler failed under warranty on a weekend. I called the local family owned plumbing supply house and spoke to one of the sons. He asked if we could have the boiler disconnected in the next two hours so he could pick it up when he dropped off a replacement (at no charge).
Do you know any big box store that would do that?

Again, I'm talking about home repair. Not building decks, or replacing heatpumps (which is what I have) etc.
Some of these people sound like they would go to a "caulking" store just to get a tube of silicone they hate HD so much.

No, but many of us would go to a hardware store, and if the thing we were caulking required something unusual, we'd get a straight answer instead of a deer-in-the-headlights look followed by drooling. The caulk would not necessarily be more expensive, either.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And I don't go to a caulking store, but I do go to the roofing supply for my caulk. Geocel 2300 is an excellent caulk and not available at the borg. It is 3.30 when you buy a case at the roofing supply. The nearest thing they have at the borg is Quad sealant which is 5.98 a tube. Same price for a case. When I go to get just one tube at ARS, they know I buy it all the time and they give it to me for (guess what?) $3.30 a tube.
For painters caulk, it comes from the paint store (Sherwin Williams). It comes at the same time that the paint, masking tape, plastic, etc. comes. And better quality and cheaper than the Big Box.
Guess what? The paint store and the roofing supply are farther away than the Home Depot or Lowes, but when I get home, I get home sooner and I have spent less money. I do use a bit more gas. I do that even if I am doing home repairs.
What do you have against saving money, time and getting better quality?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

<snip>
Are you by chance a Star Trek fan?
Ron wrote:

A fan? Not really. I used to watch it when I was in college.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Just wondering about your use of the word "borg".
In "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the Borg is a species of cyborg that ruthlessly seeks to incorporate all sentient life into itself and their ships are square/cube shaped, just like HD and Lowes.
Ron wrote:

Or: Big Orange Retail Giant.
--
Robert Allison