Home Depot Rant

Page 1 of 11
Are they preparing funeral invitations yet? They get worse and worse. There is hardly ever any help around anymore. I thought they used to have walkie talkies to get help with questions but none of them have them (did I imagine it). I went to get a shower valve and couldn't find it, first guy I asked didn't know what one was and pointed me toward the "plumbing guy". He figured out that they were out of them. I asked where another HD was and he told me but didn't offer to go check and see if they had them in stock. Went to the other HD and they didn't have any either. So I went to a Lowe's. Asked the Gal in the aisle if they had the valve I wanted and she had never heard of it but said she would call and have a plumbing guy come over. While waiting I found one in a packet that had been cut open. The valve inside was a used valve. When the plumbing guy arrived I showed him the used valve, he checked and said they had no more in stock but that another store had 12 in stock. So I went to the other Lowe's and got one there. Four stores to find a $12 valve, ridiculous.

I was using a box of leftover wall tile on a backsplash. SHIT, 3/4 way thru the job figured out that someone had mixed about 10 tiles of the wrong "sheen". So I call HD, do you have 4x4 American Tile BW 703, bone white with stippled surface. Oh yeah, he said. Are you SURE I said? Yeah, we have it in stock he said. Could not believe my luck! So I drive up there. Guess what. They don't have it. I knew in my gut I should go back and peel the tile off of the wall while the mastic was still wet, and just get a new box of tile. But I asked if he could order it. Oh no problem he said. So I order a box, leaving the backsplash about 6 tiles short. Be there next week he says. Next week they call and tell me that they no longer make that tile. I had to rip the tile, sheetrock and all and start over. That idiot cost me about 8 hours of work. Round here, Menard rules HD.
To everyone in this thread that has busted on Ashton for not going to a "real" plumbing store, do you ppl always go the whatever "specialty" store every time you need something?

A real plumbing store can be one aisle of a real hardware store. So, to answer your question, I go to a real store 99% of the time for critical items. Might be a plumbing supply place, might be one of three hardware stores that are no further away than HD.

You just wrote up above that you went to HD first to look for a Moen facet. That isn't a "critical" item?

No, it's not.
Ron wrote:

Well, when I need something that goes "ding" and has a pleasant fragrance, I got to Art's Bells & Smells. And when I need a car tire of a known religious denomination, I shop at In The Name Of Jesus Guaranteed Used Tires.
Those are real stores around here.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 06:28:53 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"

You must live in Phoenix. Is that tire place still in Business? I haven't driven thru that area in a long time.
In article <992f25f7-3ea5-466b-b949-331a1d013d44

Pretty much. People who shop at big box stores don't value their time, and have to shop from a limited range of inventory.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

If I went to a "speciality" store every time I needed something, I would spend *more time* looking through the phonebook for the closest "specialty" store instead of going to HD and getting what I need.
(Ron) says...

What kinds of "somethings" do you need from HD that you can't get at a hardware store? I know lumber's on the list, as well as appliances and nursery plants. But what else?

I'm not talking about a HW store. (which are far and few in my area) I'm talking about *speciality* stores. A lot of people told this guy he should have went to a *plumbing* store, not a HW store.
Also, a few wks ago I asked about fixing my ice maker here, which turns out needed a new control module. Called a bunch of appliance repair stores and the *cheapest* one I found was $60.00. I bought this http://tinyurl.com/2rhyb3 from Lowes for $50.00. (an exact replacement) That is one example right there of something that Ace isn't going to carry and being a LOT cheaper than a specialty store. I couldn't imagine what an appliance repair store would have wanted for the *entire* unit with a new tray.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hmm. Carpets. Tile. Fencing. Cabinets. Riding lawnmowers. Pepsi Cola. Stepping stones....
"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
HeyBub wrote:

All of those items are far more expensive at Home Depot that at other stores, all of which are open on weekends (or at least Saturday). I just did a remodel with lots of carpet, tile, and cabinets, and I would spent at least $6,000 more if I had bought the materials at HD.
One time the HD cashier advised my wife to stop buying pavers there, and to go to the nearby rockery, which sold them for less than half of what HD charges.
SMS ???. ? wrote:

.
Maybe. But you can't get a GENUINE Home Depot Pepsi at the carpet store.
HeyBub wrote:

That's true. The last carpet I bought, about 3 weeks ago, I didn't even have to go to a store, the owner came to me. Plus, I hate Pepsi, I only drink cane sugar Coke in terms of colas.
I checked out Home Depot as well. For the same grade of carpet they were about 50% more expensive, plus they had a longer lead time. They insisted that it would take two weeks, minimum, to get the carpet from the mill in Georgia, to their store in California, and said that they were the largest carpet retailer in the country and that no smaller store could get it any faster.
In fact, one store I looked at, that was about $300 more than where I bought it, stocked the carpet I wanted, and if I had chosen a more standard color for rentals, I could have gotten it in one day. Home Depot stocks some carpet, but it's the lowest grade polyester carpets, not nylon.
Similarly, Home Depot was much more expensive for cabinets, tile, granite, shower enclosures, and electrical.
Many people just automatically go to Home Depot because they think the alternatives are always higher priced because they're looking at stores like Carpet 1, or the highbrow kitchen and bath remodeling stores. They don't know where to go, and they pay for their lack of knowledge.
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

Another datapoint...
One of the persons renting my rental in San Jose, has a rental of her own in Marin county (north of San Francisco) and was asking about my new carpet after she got a very high quote from Home Depot. I gave her the phone number of the guy I used.
In one day, the carpet company I used was over the GG bridge giving her an estimate for carpet. He was about $800 less than Home Depot, for much better quality carpet and a better pad (1/2" versus 7/16"), plus he included fixing the installation of some previously installed carpet that was still good, but wasn't stretched properly. Also he could do it sooner because for some reason he can get carpet shipped to him faster than Home Depot can get it shipped to a store. Maybe Home Depot has it go to a warehouse of their own first, I don't know why it takes them longer to get it.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You can usually find some decent 2x4's and plywood at Home Depot, but for anything more than that, a lumber store is preferable.
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

Sure, if you want to spend the afternoon rooting through a pile of their lower quality lumber they buy trying to find something usable.
I can pull into my local lumber yard and everything they stock is good quality and if I need more than a couple they will deliver them and they will all be good.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (George) says...

Lumber yards don't allow high grading. Building codes require lumber to be of certain grades, and "#2 and better" (also known as Construction Grade) has to have a certain percentage of #1 and Select Structural mixed in. You can reject the occasional stick as unsuitable, but they won't let you sort through the pile.
Big box stores are good for hobby wood. I bought some 3/16 x 6" pine for a radio enclosure from Lowes not long ago. They can also be good for shopping ideas. When I replaced my patio door, I saw a neat french door set at HD that was a Pella knock-off. It was a great idea, so I ordered the original from Pella. Hey, I live here. Sometimes cheaper is not always better. :)