death in group

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca formulated on Friday :

Contains or has a potential to contain a hazardous atmosphere.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

If an "open roof" can *contain* a hazardous atmosphere, then the entire planet is pretty much a confined space.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If trapped on the roof during a storm? Give it up...it "could" have that classification! Not that it did! An "on the job death over that period on time was no doubt, investigated. Whether OHSA or the sheriff's office.

Reply to
bob_villa

Is there a complete, intelligible sentence anywhere in that response?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry you can't handle the thought process. Best to you in your recovery...

Reply to
bob_villa

OK, they checked he back room and rest room. Before you leave your house do you go up on the roof? At 10 PM? I doubt walking the roof is SOP.

This is an unusual happening. People on the roof is probably a one or two day a year event that never happens on the late shift. I worked in two places with interior access to the roof and no one ever checked when we locked up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, and Stormy's employer will be fined. Hope he left his checkbook.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The only thing I was responding to was the "24 hour operation" comment. This was not a 24 hour store. They key point of my "hint" was that they *left*. It was a hint to indicate that all it would have taken was a quick internet check to realize that the store closed at 10.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It can get really hot. Hotter than OSHA rules allow.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

If Beijing can have a "potentially" hazardous atmosphere enough for many people to wear masks, and OSHA can call a pit with four foot tall sides a "confined space" why can't a hot rooftop fit in that category.

Anyway, my first thought about the circumstances which possibly claimed the life of Stormy have not been changed, definitely not a safe working situation IMO. He possibly could have died under ideal working conditions, heart attacks are like that, but to be left up there for that long sure looks like some rules weren't being followed.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

What would those rules be? Who made the rules? Never be alone?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In every building I have worked in with rooftop access the alerm would not set without the roof access being closed and latched from the inside. About half a dozen different buildings. None could easily be latched from outside.

Reply to
clare

Your experience is different than mine. No alarm on them.

OTOH, even if it was, somebody could have closed it. Looked, saw nothing at night, locked it up. Until we see a report, anything we say is just speculation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Or someone tracks down his sister and calls her. For one, to let her know that there are many here in this newsgroup that are sad to see him go, and have been discussing about him for three weeks!

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

The funeral home did not respond to my email. Just asking if there was any addition information they could give.

Reply to
bob_villa

It's the typical lib response. Just one more set of new rules, one more law, one more set of forms to be filled out, one more permit, one more payment, and a one in a million rare event would allegedly be prevented. What's next? Outfit us all with monitors, where if it doesn't report back that we're alive and well, it automatically summons help?

Reply to
trader_4

Not really a political thing at all, it's just from all the experience gained from working in shipboard spaces and electrical and electronic equipment rooms where lockout/tagout/blockout procedures are in place to avoid having someone else get you into a situation where their actions prevent you from working safely or getting back out of tight spots.

I don't particularly *like* all of the rules, but I got used to them being there and I don't see how being possibly locked onto a hot and/or seldom checked roof is that different from being locked into a shipboard void as far as survivability is concerned.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

This was the original post...noticing his lack of posting. This one was evi dently started by a nym-shifter who has not responded since, re-posting it here.

bob_villa

Try sticking to the facts. It was a rooftop of a drug store. You can yell to people on the street, wave to them, it's not even close to a confined space on a ship. Nor is there any evidence that anything would have made a difference in this case. Stormin spent .0001% of his time on that roof. He probably spent 50%+ of his time in his house and if it the event had happened there, the result would have been the same. In fact, it probably would have taken longer to find him.

Reply to
trader_4

I am, you got a problem with that?

Reply to