Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles

Page 1 of 2

"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."
http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/30/consumer-reports-becomes-national-snitch
HeyBub wrote:

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/30/consumer-reports-becomes-national-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower head with a restrictor works great for us.
George wrote:

Yes, I find the same thing. I think the folks who complain about the restrictors are mostly in places with poor water pressure. Since the restrictors flow is dependent on water pressure if you have lower than "standard" water pressure you are getting much less than the rated max flow. Water here runs about 70 PSI consistently, so shower heads with restrictors work fine. If you get say 50 PSI you should probably remove the restrictor or at least drill it a size larger to compensate.
George wrote:

I get dirty when I work, a pressure washer would feel wonderful.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Thats why they developed the various soap products..
George wrote:

Whenever I use lye soap on my body, I hear the little screams of critters as they die and fall off my body. The little high pitched glub glub sound they make as they are washed down the drain is particularly disturbing.
TDD
On 9/3/2009 2:36 PM George spake thus:

I don't have a restrictor head, even though I should as I live in a drought-stricken area (California), but I have something that saves even more water: a shower head with a shutoff valve. Simple, cheap (I think I paid $7-8 for it at a hardware store). Besides, I need it since I've got a teeny-tiny water heater (20 gal. electric). It allows me to take normal showers without worrying about running out of hot water. Just get wet, shut the water off and apply soap. (I think these are sometimes sold under the name "Soap-up" or some such.)
These oughta be required on all showers. No need to leave all that water running while you lather up. (Same as running water while you brush your teeth: pure waste.)

David Nebenzahl wrote:
(...)

Speaking of wasted water....
There's a >70 foot (23 m) run between my water heater and the master bathroom. It takes 30 seconds or so to bring the hot water up to temperature, even on a cold morning. However, I measured about a gallon and a half of water wasted down the drain, at least twice a day.
I was thinking about equipping the end of the hot water plumbing with a timed 'hot water' solenoid valve that would re-direct this 'warming' water into a tank outside, on the push of a button. Conceivably, I could fill a 55 gallon tank in 18 days or so.
I could use that for my garden or to wash my car using a solar powered pump, for example.
I live in a very temperate desert climate, so I'm not too concerned about freezing.
I heard that it was illegal to make use of 'grey water' so I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law in case this qualifies, in some way.
Your thoughts, please?
--Winston

I don't see how it qualifies as gray water. Using it is far better than dumping it.
My run is considerably shorter, but aside from the shower, I don't wait for the hot water to wash my hands or similar uses, but I don't want to step into a shower not properly set.
Ed Pawlowski wrote: (...)

That's my theory.

Nor do I.

Indeed.
--Winston
wrote Re Re: Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles:

Great idea!
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

check out this system
http://www.startremodeling.com/solutions/store/product9.html
pumps the cold water in the hot water line into the cold water line at point of use until the hot water arrives.
thus no water is wasted waiting for hot water to arrive
I think they sell them at Home Depot ~$180...easy to install
cheers Bob
fftt wrote:
(...)

Thanks, Bob!
Very interesting.
--Winston

for the safety of mankind I hope they catch you.... ;-)
We're under water restrictions....good time to snitch on my neighbor.....hahahaha
RE: "Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker* "
Sounds good.
I was wondering if there are various types of flow restrictors, and what's the best way to get rid of them?
I have an old Speakman shower head at home, with NO restrictions. Anything else seems like a dribbling faucet to me.
John Albert wrote:

Hell, you could get cleaner with a cat licking you.
TDD

Some just pop out, as they are a disk with a hole in them. I have a Shower Saver head that does a nice job I have no idea what the flow rate is, but the town gave them out many years ago so I'm sure it has some sort of restriction. More important than flow is the pattern.

I agree with Ed....

I've seen high flow heads that were terrible as well as terrible low flow heads
the Kohler Forte is great shower head independent of the fact its a low flow unit best of both worlds
I switched to them in all my shower
cheers Bob
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:37:38 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    You need to get a hobby. :-)