Central Air v. Window-unit Air?

Page 3 of 5
Snip the Bullshit.

This is Turtle.
You say I'm pissed off because my computor is not fast and nice. WOW, You got me to thinking here and I will call my computor man and ask him if i'm fast enough. He said I had a 1.1 Ghz ram , 120 Ghz memory, 256 hz game or sound card, and to leave it alone for you good enough. So that solved that.
Well your question here , Did you ever figure out how hyperthreading works? No , but Did you ever figure out yet that i don't give a Rates Ass what you think ! If you do , let me know.
TURTLE

For YOU, a 286 with 512k is good enough....

Godalmighty..it must..you stalk me around here like you love me.

This is Turtle.
My first compooter was a [ i think ] was a 286 something / 1 Mgk memory / [ 33 hz or mhz. not sure. ] . Now that was a fast motor scooter ! I had bought this one as they just come out with it at the Compooter place.
Stalking you . LOL LOL LOL , Son you ain't got a lick of sence if you think I'm stalking you. I'm just following you around and when you have something hateful, distasteful, or stupid things to say about me. i fire on your stupid ass. I have told you all alone if you stop speaking disrespectful words at me. I will do the same. No but you keep it up and expect me to not fire on you ever FUCK time you speak.
Now all you do is say Lest stop it and you stop it and I will stop it. I will say OK and it is all over with. Here is the deal but if you don't expect me to be on your ass everytime you speak disrespectful with my name in your thoughts or words. you are water headed to think so.
Take a choice but choose Wisely.
TURTLE
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
wrote in message

....LOL...
Well, could be...I spose.....
But if it is, then man I GOTTA tell you he's REALLY got this 'fake hvac business illusion' thing down pat !!!
I mean....I call the phone number.......and I give the nice lady a good part number, some credit info and a shipping address....and then the part just kinda MAGICALLY ARRIVES here within just a few days.........
--
SVL

We can't *see* it from here. Call your local, *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to do a complete assesment of what your home requires so that it can be fitted with a complete comfort system and what the cost vs payback is for you home. In this neck of the woods, the payoff is pretty quick (roughly 5 years) for a complete high efficiency comfort system.

Try to find one who can spell :-)

Maybe, but they cost a lot less, with no ducts or concrete pads or plumbing or special electrical wiring, and low-cost Chinese and Korean labor, vs local HVAC criminals. At $69 for 5340 Btu/h at 10.2 EER (Daewoo), a 3-ton system is $69x36K/5340 = $465.17. And if one breaks, the rest keep working.

So you might close the doors and only AC those rooms, effectively doubling the SEER of the window units, compared to central air. An X10 system with occupancy sensors might do this automatically.

Yes, by law :-)
Nick

The downside to window shakers-
1) Security...Your home is easily accessed if the burglar simply removes the unit.
2) Noise...Why do you think they are called "window shakers"?
3) Convenience...Twice a year you'll be humpin' those suckers in and out.
4) Money...I don't make any money from window shakers.

How about if they're mounted in the wall?
Banty
Banty wrote:

You can put locks on the windows so they can't raise them. With locks, it wouldn't be easy to get one out without making a lot of racket.

I bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner Series; it is very quite. It is in the window of the living room where I watch TV; the one I had there was noisy and interfered with TV enjoyment!

My two are each 6000-Btu/hr or less; easy to install; some leave the bigger units in the window the year round.

I agree with you on the money point. I also love to see and feel the performance of a central system that is really delivering to its rated Btu/hr specs.

- udarrell
--
Factors in the Correct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems -
Recommended Procedures for Proper Duct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning

I bought a very high efficiency 11 EER 6000 btu window unit to supplement the central trane unit.
My summer time electric bill in Houston dropped from 410 to 247.
In Chicago, you would never cost justify a central unit over window units, but I'd still get one just for the convenience and comfort.
Nehmo wrote:

Generally whole house will be more efficient and more trouble free as well as quieter.
Windows units can be more efficient as you can zone each room, so while the individual unit may be less efficient, you may use less overall energy because it is easier to turn them off in one room.
Frankly, I would go with central.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If Chicago is as warm as I think it is, I'd go with central if possible. More efficient, quieter, more even temperatures in the house.
Where I live, it becomes marginal most years. Normal summer we need AC maybe five to 8 days and maybe an additional 10 nights in just the bedroom. That makes window units far more economical compared to running a big system.
In warmer climates I'd never consider window units..

Window AC's typically 10 to 12 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency).. 12 is not bad... 10 is not so hot.
You can buy central AC's at 14 Seer thats hot.
However there are losses with duct work in a central AC that you dont have in window AC. (depending on duct leaks etc etc. in the 5 to 10% range...not so good actually)
Window AC's are dirt cheap to install compared to central AC's and provide good 'zone control' so can be a lot less expensive to operate than central AC
Home resale will be better with central AC of course.

No..efficiency goes down with size because its running partially loaded most of the time. The window AC's will be most cost effective across the boards especially if you buy the high efficiency models (and go to heat pump window AC's)... zone control is a major advantage with multiple window AC's
Phil Scott HVAC contractor/ mech engr since 1905

So your 100 years old now ??
--
SVL

message

Satire. Willis Carrier didn't come up with refrigerated AC until the 1905's or something like that.. Earlier we had steam jet refrigeration (a high pressure steam venturi side port, at approx 28" water column (vacuum) was connected to a large evaporating tank, water evaporate and cooled to 40F or so and that was pumped around to air coils... prior that that goes back to BC egypt, importing ice from Mt Kilimanjaro, into deep caves the cool air circulated through the palace.
The Montgomery Ward Store in Sacramento Calif though had an ammonia chilled water system as late as 1967 that I am aware of, it was still operating the last time I worked on it. It dated from the turn of the century 1915 as a guess.. Two 50 ton baker 200 rpm reciprocating compressors driven by synchronous DC motors..(multple coils around a rotor, looks like an old radial airplane motor.)
The Budweiser micro breweries built in the 70's used similar machines, approx 4,000 tons total of horizontal Baker reciprocating compressors, 200 RPM DC sychronous motors.. ammonia.
Why you might ask? Ammonia is the most efficient refrigerant bar none in those temp ranges. by a very wide margin. and because... volumetric efficiency goes way up with the ultra long stroke and proportionately reduced head space volume of those huge slow long stroke compressors. The suction lines on those plants were 24" main header... 10" to each of the Baker recips.
Latest addition though were 1000 hp Frick screws (made in Germany).
These are 3 stage cascade/ compound systems.. two compound ammonia stages, the lowest stage ammonia evaporator acting as the condenser for a CO2 system to minus 110F...(200 hp of Vilter reciprocating compressors, 1750 rpm, 480volt conventional squirel cage motors... all built nicely into one large machine building ( 300' square approx) with natural gas fired boilers...so that if there is a suitably sized ammonia leak, to the explosive limit ranges, the boiler pilots lite off the vapor cloud and make for interesting times in the vicinity..releasing about 8,000 lbs of ammonia to the atmosphere.
The CO2 as liquified at -110F under pressure for use in carbonating the beer..(not 100% naturally carbonated that stuff)
With large scale ammonia systems there are issues of liquid slugs in long suction lines, with pressure behind them and suction pressures approaching zero psig ahead of them.. slug velocity can reach over 700 mph. Such a 'slug' of liquid hits an elbow or end cap and blows it off ... releasing the entire charge of ammonia to the atmosphere. clearing the sinuses of a few thousand people it doesnt kill and pissing off the local authorities entirely...most older systems were not built with the super sonic slug scenario in mind.
Now a question? What do you think happens to an all steel ship, with frozen storage holds 6 decks deep, below the water level, with only the outside of envelope of the holds insulated, not the steel plates between the holds...those welded solid of course across the hull.
Thats exciting.
Phil Scott
Phil Scott

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

yes thats the idea. especially in a system with a large accumulator running in a decent vacuum downstream of the slug.
Phil Scott