Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

Page 6 of 8

I was chatting with a fellow the other day and he does the same. It also gives you the option of changing your mind. Sometimes when you make an impulse purchase you later regret it.
Though what I find is often shortly after I've finally placed the order I come up with another small item I wish I had included.

Is it an item amazon itself sells, or is it being sold thru amazon by a 3rd party? It can take longer if the latter.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.

I don't do prime and Amazon takes several days longer than the 3rd party for me. Most 3rd parties ship the same or the next day. Amazon is almost always a week before shipping.

Third party, which I didn't notice because it was advertised with Amazon's +$49 free shipping. The other 4 items came in about a week. Actually I placed my order on August 24th. So it's taking 1 1/2 months to get here. Doesn't really matter, as I don't buy anything from Amazon which I need quickly. But Amazon has outdone itself on this item.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I never can tell when an order from Amazon will arrive here. Not a prime member and just get the free shipping. Sometimes it will be shipped out in a day or two, most of the time it is about a week before they ship it. Usually if not filled by Amazon,but by one of the 'stores' it is shipped right out. If by Amazon it is atleast a week before they ship.
I order from ebay lots of times and the 'stores' with the buy it now almost always ship the next day. I can get an order from China almost as fast as from the regular Amazon. Almost any other place I order from on a Monday will get here by Thursday or Friday of the same week.
On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 10:23:25 -0400, Ralph Mowery

can ship it. I cut out the middleman and order Chinese junk directly from China.
On 10/08/2016 03:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

I ordered some of that, a $20 camera (both still and video) that uses a micro SD card and fits on a keyring and looks like a car remote. Shipping took over a month, but the camera actually takes good pictures as long at it has adequate light.
--
77 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/9/2016 2:58 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I'm waiting for new eyeglasses from Zenni Optical. Wife criticizes me for buying from China but last glasses I bought here have label on the case that says "made in China". Zenni price since I bought last has gone up 50% but wife's new glasses had gone up over 100%.
Just had to buy a new cartridge for HP printer as re-inked cartridge would not work. HP's cartridge was made in China.

I bought glasses from Zenni once, but had to send them back because they didn't get the lenses right. They sent back ones that were worse, so I just asked for a refund and bought glasses locally.
I've been buying glasses from Costco since then and I get really good prices and they haven't made any mistakes so far. (I'm on my 3rd pair from Costco.)

I haven't had much luck with ink jet printers. I never got anywhere close to the rated number of pages out of the cartridges, and refilling them didn't work very well. I had Lexmark, HP, and Epson printers. The Lexmarks were the worst.
I finally just gave up and bought a small HP laser printer. I got a really good deal on it and it works really well. It has a duplexer too, so it's easy to save on paper by printing on both sides.
I know most people want color and to be able to print photos, but if B&W is ok you can save a lot of money by avoiding ink jets.

+1 on that
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 10:30:55 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

Not lucky, careful. Shopping at HF is easy but I'm not going to get into that discussion...again.

It would take me longer than I would want to wait especially if I don't see much of an advantage in waiting.
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:16:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

replaced it's postage meter. Figure you can't get much better than the ascom - and you definitely cannot beat the price - - -. I got it to ballance engine parts.
DerbyDad03 formulated the question :

Have you weighed your finger with it?

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.
I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players, etc.). You have to replace the entire machine even if a single part fails, and you can't pick the best of each device (a standalone scanner is usually better than what comes in the all-in-ones).
With that in mind, I highly recommend Brother laser printers. My main printer is a Brother HL-5240DN with a second paper tray. It's fast, produces great output, and can print to both sides of a page. Toner lasts a long time also.
I also have a Xerox 6022 color laser that I have been very happy with. It won't replace a photo printer, but for general office flyers, brochures, cards, or generic color printouts it works great. It also takes up very little space. My only gripe is it only comes in white. :)
My scanner is an Epson V500 flatbed scanner that also does a great job with negatives.
On 10/5/2016 12:59 AM, HerHusband wrote:

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as fast either from my experience.

I agreed with this 10 years ago when they cost $500. At $79, who crs if one function craps out?

The OP wanted color though.

Great if you have the flat surfaces to put them all.

This isn't quite correct. What the printers now do is every 24 hours they clean off the tips of the ink cartridges. So if you never use the printer, it will still run out of ink in a couple years.

I've seen several that will clean their cartridges either before/after a print job and in some cases, pause the job if it's a considerable one to do a cleaning...Depends on brand, model and firmware revision. Not really sure what you're calling a tip, either. Mind explaining in more detail?
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.

Every day at noon my Brother MFC-J6510DW makes a noise and I can hear something going back and forth. I only printed a couple sheets when I first bought it. (For $154 delivered to my door it was the cheapest 11x17 scanner I could find.) But after about three years it ran out of ink. I then bought cheap replacement ink cartridges. One color is now out again. For a while I was keeping it unplugged. Turning it off did not stop the action.
Fri, 07 Oct 2016 03:30:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The easiest way I've found to describe it is like a series of mini fuel injectors. Either on the bottom of the cartridge itself (if they have flexible mesh of fine wires) or it's external and makes use of a pump to feed the printhead assembly by extracting a small amount of ink from the 'tip' of the cartridge.
It applies a small amount of electric current at a particular spot in the cartridge to release a tiny droplet of ink (for those that do not have the fine wire tracing and flexible plastic; it's actually using a printhead assembly to accomplish the result.
As it does so, it's going to the far left/right (depending on printer) and running the bottom of the cartidge and/or printhead assembly underneath a fine 'scraping' piece to remove excess buildup on it. For many printers, what you're calling a printhead is actually the bottom of each cartridge. So on these printers, when you change the cartridge, you changed the 'print head' for that cartridge too.
Some epson printers have no actual print ability from the cartridge itself, they use a small pump instead to extract the ink to send to the 'printhead' assembly. Basically, if you look at the bottom of your ink cartridge and see no fine wire tracing but a single what you're calling a 'tip' it has an external printhead being fed by a small pump. The tip itself is the hole used to suck ink from the cartridge to deliver to the printhead assembly. This design has various pros and cons. Most notably, higher resolution print ability and more color mixing options.
Think, Epson photo print. The primary drawback to this design is at some point, the 'printhead' assembly will need to be cleaned thoroughly or replaced outright. And, again, depending on the printhead assembly module, it can be more costly to replace than the printer cost you. The ink can also dry up inside the tubing supplying the printhead assembly, and, sometimes they become clogged with the ink over time and are no longer able to deliver the ink to the printhead assembly reliably. When this happens, you can try to clean the tubes, but, more often than not; you'll be replacing them. This can also be more costly than the printer itself was when you purchased it.
The ink itself over time as it's scraped off the bottom of the cartridge and/or the printhead assembly will fill the reservoir where it's being stored. So, at some point, you will need to tear the printer down and scoop out the semi solid trash ink it piled up. If you don't, it's effectiveness is greatly diminished and it starts to leave the reservoir and go elsewhere in the printer; Making a mess internally.

As I wrote previously, the cleaning cycle varies from make/model and firmware version. As I'm sure you've noticed, short of cutting power to the printer itself (turning them off doesn't turn everything off anymore so than hitting the power button on a modern TV actually turns everything off) it's not really ever, entirely off (unless you physically disconnect it's power source) It's in a standby/sleep state.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
On 10/06/2016 10:30 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
[snip]

On most modern equipment "off" is a lie. The switch may do nothing more than control the LED.

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).