HOA: No home office, so...

"[PHILADELPHIA] In the most recent turn of events, the Wilsons are looking for approval to use the building ... as the Church of Scientology Mission of Bucks County."

HOA threatens to unleash demons of darkness, assorted ghouls, winged monkeys. And that's just the front office staff.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just out of personal curiosity did you even read the article? It notes that the fight is with the township zoning people. HOA never mentioned.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You are right. I just automatically concluded HOA when contemplating demons, ghouls, and monkeys. I also completely overlooked the shape-shifting lizards, muck-creatures, and harridans.

I regret the error.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well as long as you regret the error, all is forgiven.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I couldn't get the page to open. But in Lakewood, NJ they had what sounds like a similar court case. There someone was using a condo unit for weekly Jewish services. The owner lost the case. Which seems quite reasonable, as they are clearly designed and restricted for single family use. Having 25 people over regularly for services sure seems way past any reasonable boundaries to me.

Reply to
trader4

Do you honestly regret the error, or are you just afraid winged monkeys will be unleashed against you? This is important to know before forgiveness can me made.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nah, I've been shot at, survived a plane crash, pulled bodies apart at traffic wrecks, and married the meanest woman in Texas. I fear nothing on this earth nor above it or below. I can't, however, abide scary movies. Halfway through "Alien" I ran from the auditorium squealing like a little girl with a toad down her dress.

I sincerely feel sorry for the error and, in an act of penance, wrote the following letter to my local paper:

Editor, The Houston Chronicle

Dear sir,

If the goddamn government can goddamn impose goddam taxes why can't the goddamn government do some goddamn thing about the goddamn home owner's associations?

Edwin Pawlowski

(I signed your name figuring it would have more influence.)

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks, I appreciate that. Keeps my reputation intact

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What about having 25 people over "regularly" for a Tupperware party, or a book club, or a Bible study?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Tupperware party would be a business, especially if "regularly" attended.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
2$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.iad...

Yes, I would agree. Tupperware or anything similar that is for profit and is done weekly is clearly a business. In light of the Lakewood, NJ court case regarding religious services that I pointed out, it would seem likely that using a condo weekly with 25 people attending for a book club or bible study would be ruled excessive as well. But it clearly depends on a lot of factors and is up to interpretation. I think in the Lakewood case, the unit that was being used for religious service was not even being occupied as a single family residence most of the time. And that is obviously an important factor. Whenvever you have a condo situation, which has limited parking, you have to have some measure of reasonable usage. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where all the vistors parking is taken up by 25 people every Sat night coming to a Tupperware party.

Reply to
trader4

The city of Duncanville (south of Dallas, Texas) is at war with a couple that hosts a swinger's club at their house.

is their web site (caution, it is an "adult" site).

They are trying all sorts of zoning, liquor, and parking tactics to shut it down and don't seem to have succeeded so far. I don't think they would be working so hard if it was a bible study group. Here's a news article:

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I can see a condo association or HOA having restrictions on guest parking, but if this is a private home in an open neighborhood, it is up to the owner to decide if they want to study the bible or be swingers. They could solve the problem by just inviting the town council to a party.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How is that any different than the regular Tupperware party, which you agreed was running a business? These people were collecting money and using a website to advertise it to the public, etc. Sounds like a business in an area zoned residential to me.

Reply to
trader4

Most Tupperware parties are not "regular" in that they are held in different people's homes. They move about.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

How is that any different than the regular Tupperware party, which you agreed was running a business? These people were collecting money and using a website to advertise it to the public, etc. Sounds like a business in an area zoned residential to me.

If it is a business, then yes, shut it down if zoning regulations are not met. If it is just a chip in party, then it is just a party. Not having been there or having seen the original web site I can't say what it was.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, but if you follow the thread, the example brought up and being commented on was REGULAR Tupperware parties with 25 people being held in the same residence.

Reply to
trader4

Now there's a picture I didn't need.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

clipped

Now wait a minute ........ in REAL life, that means one resident is having a Tupperware party one day in every week, fifty-two parties a year. In CONDO life, it means one batty control- freak heard that one of their less-obedient residents had a party that might have been a Tupperware party. :o)

My kids told me that my condo stories would make a good reality TV show. Much goofier than any show I've seen, and nobody would believe it...... being punched by a board member for shutting off the sprinkler on Good Friday evening so my small family gathering could use the yard? Nah.......even the cops thought it was flaky. You can get arrested around here for holding up the line at McDonalds if there is a cop behind you in line, but not if you assault someone. True.

Reply to
Norminn