Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

definitely produce better print quality than a 600dpi or less laser.
It also depends what kind of ink. Pigmented ink makes better quality than dye based ink.
On 10/06/2016 10:36 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

A laser printer may not do so well on glossy photo paper. It IS better on regular paper.

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 1:37:01 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

We have an Epson Workforce 635...even does 2-sided printing (slicker than sh*t). It has never jammed in 6 years and we use it a fair amount for church and technical stuff. 3-color does excellent photo printing and they're not dinky cartridges. *****5-stars
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4:39:45 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

ch and technical stuff. 3-color does excellent photo printing and they're n ot dinky cartridges. *****5-stars
I, too have an Epson Workforce. I believe it's in the 3600 series...I'm not home to check. I paid $149 a few years ago. Love it!
2 sided printing and copying, document feeder, rear feed for one-off paper sizes, 2 drawers for different papers. Flatbed and document feeder scanning/copying. Separate ink cartridges for each color, high capacity cartridges available. It warns you when a color is getting low and gives you the option to print anyway, adjusting the colors slightly instead of refusing to print.
It's wireless so we can print from our PC, iPads or Android phones.
I use an free app called NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2) for scanning docs to PDF. My two daughters list my house as their home address while they are away at school, so I often have to "forward" mail to them. Scan, save, email, done.
On 10/4/2016 3:39 PM, bob_villa wrote:

After a lot of looking and comparing, I finally settled on this one: Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner. It was on sale at Office Depot for $89 (normally $160). I got it set up this afternoon, and it's not too big, and not too small. I've printed on it and scanned to pc already. Haven't hooked up the fax yet, but need to figure out where I have a phone connection so I can do that. Oh, and I have it set up wired, now, but I have the option to also set up wifi printing, too, if I need that. Right now I don't really need wifi printing.
--
Maggie

do NOT try to use aftermarket ink. Any HP Officejet Pro unit will be decent. Their home printers are pretty iffy.
On 10/4/2016 4:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My dead HP gave me many years! I'm going to miss it, but I'm liking the new one, too. It's a tad bit faster!
--
Maggie

On 10/4/2016 2:36 PM, Muggles wrote:

and scanner recently started giving me fits so I still use old fax machine and scanner. There is a paucity of instructions coming with new machines of all type (not just printers).
Over the years, HP's have evolved from accepting cartridges that you could re-ink yourself, to others re-inked cartridges that cost much less to only accepting cartridges of their own manufacture. They learned what old folks working at Eastman Kodak told me when they said they made no profit of their cameras but made a bundle on their film. Don't know about other brands but while HP makes good printers, ink cost may be far less with others.
On 10/4/2016 7:33 PM, Frank wrote:

yeah Ink is really ridiculously expensive. This printer I just bought, the Epson 3620, came with full cartridges, so it'll print out at least 300 pages. I can buy the XL cartridges that print 1100 pages, but for now I'm good with the ink that came with it.
--
Maggie

On 10/5/2016 11:48 PM, Muggles wrote:

The cost of putting extra ink in the cartridges is insignificant. I once saw an ink recipe and there was nothing expensive in it.
People do not like buying expensive cartridges so the suppliers sell them with one third the ink at half price. It's a real rip off.
Oct 2016 12:14:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

They took a loss when they sold you the printer itself. They have more in the printer than what you're paying for it. To makeup for the loss, the pricing for the ink is higher. Busineses don't stay in business long if they lose money on both ends of the deal.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.

about.
On 10/6/2016 5:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, ink cartridges come in this size or you can get them in XL size, so, the cartridges that came with it are the same as the ones sold in stores - not just starter cartridges.
--
Maggie

alongside the "normal" retail cartridge and they generally do NOT weigh the same. - and the XL cartridge is generally (at least in the models I'm familiar with) EXACTLY the same as the standard but heavier (more ink) so your statement they are "full" really doesn'y mean anything. In my experience many "starters" are 259-300 page, regulars are 500-600 and XLs are 1200 pages. When I refill my 940 HPs they are closer to 2000 pages, so even the XL is not "full"
On 10/7/2016 12:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ahh ... I don't have anything to weigh them with, and 300 pages seems pretty good for even a starter cartridge. I'll have to see if I can find out more info on it. Thanks!
--
Maggie

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 2:02:14 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

For under $20 it almost doesn't make sense not to buy one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html
I use it for postage, cooking, and other stuff. Very handy.

That's expensive and of dubious quality. A better choice is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004164SRA
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:18:16 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

Have you ever tried one of the "dubious quality" ones. I have. Same one for at least 5 years. Never an issue.
Have you ever tested one of the "dubious quality" ones with verified weights as low as a couple of grams to it's max of 11 pounds? I have. (It's dead on across its entire range.)
Weighing ingredients is more accurate than measuring. It would make no sense for me to use a scale that I didn't know was accurate to weigh ingredients.
Unless you are a Prime member the Amazon one will cost you at least as much if not more than the "dubious quality" one, depending on shipping and tax. For me, it would be more even if I paid full price at HF, which I rarely do. (Yes, I added tax to the HF purchase). If I waited for a sale or used a 20% coupon, it would be cheaper still.
Tell me why the Ozeri is a "better choice"?

I have bought many things from Harbor Freight. Most are junk and do not last long. You must have been lucky.

The Ozeri is also accurate. My 50g, 100g and 500g test weights are all dead on. It measures to 1/100's of an ounce.

I am not a prime member, and I have never paid shipping. I simply wait until I have $49 worth of things to buy from Amazon. It doesn't take very long.

hehe. That's what I do with Amazon. But I placed an order on August 26th and one item is still not here. Expected delivery October 12th. Oh, that's fast shipping, isn't it? Hardly. hehe. Might as well live in Timbukto with that kind of service.