Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

Page 3 of 8
CHEEP SKIT BUY NEW ONE!!!
wrote in message wrote:

Prints both sides without your pinkies touching the paper.
Back in the 80s, Xerox usta have a monster of a copy machine that would do that. Plus, it would do 400 sheets in 30 secs. Unfortunately, it rarely worked properly and our vendor had no field techs who knew how to repair it. 8|
nb
notbob brought next idea :

At one time, I was a Xerox 3100LDC repair technician. Back when that model was relatively new.
On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 1:22:07 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Back in the 80s Kodak had a color copier.
They also had a feature on one B&W model that I had never seen before or have seen since: There was an opening near the output trays where you could stick the corner of your original and have the machine staple it for you. No "stand-alone" stapler to go missing or need to be refilled.

You must not run into serious office workhorse printers very often, then. I've seen quite a few of them with the self stapling feature. Don't believe the hype though, depending on paper thickness and other issues with it's own design, it may not work so great in real life.
And they can be a real pain in the arse to fix when they do screwup...
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin

No doubt cuz office printer vendors wouldn't pay their field service techs dammit!
I knew RIFs were coming, so talked to one of the printer techs. I discovered I'd hafta take 75% pay cut to be a field service tech on one of these very complex machines.
nb

Most office copiers will duplex these days. They often have a lot of other fancy features too. At work they have an old one, but it has a NIC so you can print to it on the network, it will collate and staple, has a bunch of different drawers for various types of paper, has FAX built-in, and it's color.
They still use the same business model of renting or leasing you the copier though. You can buy them outright, but from what I've seen most places don't do that, they just call up the local "Foobar Business Machines" and have them roll in a copier and then maintain it.
I've been to a couple of places that still use mainframes and have print shops for printing from the mainframe. They had some pretty impressive-looking equipment, although I really don't know that much about them. I just know they do high speed and high volume printing, and that reliability is very important.
A friend has talked about the printing equipment they have in the radiology dept at a local hospital where he works. It sounded like it was pretty massive too, and very expensive. :)
On 10/4/2016 3:14 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Brother HL-L2340DW
By and large, Brother laser printers are your best bet. Extremely reliable, easy to set up, not at all temperamental, very affordable printer and replacement toner cartridges/drums.
Amazon frequently runs them on Gold Box deals. The model above is typically $99, but will run on sale for as low as $69-$75. Seems like they'll have a Brother laser printer sale every 6-8 weeks or so, and more often in November-December.

I tend to agree.
I'm on my 2nd Brother B/W laser printer. The first still works, despite having been in 2 car accidents, stored in sub-zero shed, and works ona Linux setup. My second is a FAX2840, which I needed cuz a lotta govt agencies still demand docs be sent by FAX. Beware or whether or not you have a 32 or 64 bit machine, as many Brother drivers are 64 bit only. ;)
nb

That seems to have been the consensus for many years among Usenet posters and the computer users I've talked to in person. I have an HP LaserJet that's nearing the age of 20. It still fills my printing needs; but if I had to replace it, I'd go with Brother. (FWIW, I have a Brother memory typewriter that is at least *25* years old and still works perfectly.)
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:14:02 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Okidata LED printer - hands down.
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:53:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

$600-900 is a bit expensive for a home office printer.

I am also a fan of having two printers (though I have three*). With fax almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one? I agree with the Brother recommendation. For the B&W laser I have the Brother HL2280. It was much cheaper three years ago. What it gives me is a convenient flatbed copier in addition to a laser printer.
Over seven years ago I bought a color laser printer. Long since discontinued. I rarely print in color. I only turn it on when I need it.
For my all-in-one I bought the older model of the Brother MFCJ6920DW: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANUUDK
It gives me the feeder if I want to scan a stack. And most important to me, it gives me an 11"x17" scanner for a reasonable price (it was cheaper back when I bought it). I have never bought 11x17 paper and with the color laser I don't use it to print at all.
* four if you count the Seiko label printer.

It's why I have a 2nd Brother printer (FAX2840). The CA Franchise Tax Board (state level IRS) will accept a document no other way. Before I bought a FAX machine, I hadda pay a local printer send 'em a FAX. This about 4 yrs ago.
nb
On 10/5/2016 9:29 AM, notbob wrote:

you cannot mail in documents to the FTB?

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a former college. Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that was a 25 mile round trip by car.
Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 12:31:14 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

Your point is moot...it only takes a little more software to fax...so why not include it?

Many "legal" services will NOT accept an email. a scanned copy is not accepted as an "original" because it can be manipulated/altered. A fax is considered an "original" as it cannot be altered.

Yep. My attorney used to FAX me all the time.
My primary bank will NOT accept an email anything. You can scan a doc, but you gotta submit the file thru their webpage. Not EVEN FAX!
nb