Bathroom Re-Do

Getting ready to take on a bathroom project which will involve the following:

linoleum (or vinyl or whatever it is) floor removal new ceramic floor tiling (only thing purchased so far) toilet replacement (possible relocation) sink replacement removal of some wall tiling and tile "built ins" (for soap, tooth brushes, etc) around sink removal of 2 nasty old wall lights/ sconces around sink new overhead light / fan (none existing) new light switch (none existing) new outlet(s) (none existing)

My better half left me a voicemail saying "let's tear up the floor tonight!" How ambitious of him.

My question is, if we do that do we need to do the toilet at the same time or can we have no flooring with a functioning toilet for a day or so before replacing it??

Any advice in general for this project appreciated. I'm sure I'll be posting more as it goes on.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Melanie

The toilet needs to be supported at the base, but that is all. If you take it off, the was seal will be destroyed, but it may be good enough to get you buy for a day or two. My choice world be to do much of the other work first. OTOH, I've been in other parts of the world that had a hole in the floor instead of a toilet. A grab bar is a nice touch in those circumstances. And that was in 2006, not some ancient civilization or third world country.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

gut the rest of the room first and then worry about the floor. IF this is your onlyu toilet you should do it so that it can be pout back in place every evening for use.

Reply to
HotRod

the old toilet may well be a better than a new water conserving type, something to consider unless you dont mind a new item plunger permanetely next to your toilet:(

Reply to
hallerb

:the old toilet may well be a better than a new water conserving type, :something to consider unless you dont mind a new item plunger :permanetely next to your toilet:(

It's amazing, but the water conserving toilets that my brother had installed in his otherwise fabulous home were quite an embarrasment. I think they've somehow worked around the problem, but not certain. I think I will avoid replacing my toilets if at all possible when I renovate/remodel my bathrooms. The ones I have don't offend me.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant