Backup, backup!

Page 8 of 9
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 08:11:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What idiot would not whip the economy into shape if they could do it in time for elections. Either his in 2012 or 2014 which may be make or break for who controls congress.
The fact that there is little improvment, exactly following historical patterns, proves he has no power to do that even if Congress didn't exist.
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:17:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I note you offer no fact or argument to support your claim. Just your bald statement, with an implied "trust me".
Actually I spoke well of Reagan. I said he did what he had to do given what he inherited and that he succeeded in what he did. Only in your world is that blame.
Do you support Bush in the light of two worthless wars and collapsing the economy? Speak up and give us a direct answer.

Well, if you liked Bush's fiscal management, yes you are a liberal. At least a fiscal liberal. On the social side, you are a racist reactionary.

Seems like Congress should get some the blame too. They did pass the energy regulations and spending laws, for example, and could have reigned in the mortgage lenders before the worst happened. I understand how nice it is to package things up neatly by administrations that you do or don't like and make it sound all simple; but it's not and your tunnel vision is astounding.
Tomsic

I agree with you. I answered in kind, as is my practice. A post is too short a piece to consider all the pieces all the time. Stromin but it in terms of administrations. HE made it about individual Presidents and nothing else. (He's a bit limited in his outlook.)
My point was he cited his good one and his bad one and ignored three presidents and five terms to make that strained comparison - pretending history went from Reagan to Obama with nothing in between.
Yes, congress had a lot to do with all administrations. IMHO, the government as a whole has little to do with it. We see the same patterns over and over in history. Each time there is a lot of rhetoric and a lot of feet shuffling to make "this time" different, but it almost never is.
But still, narrow minded dipsticks can pop up and say Reagan was good and next day we had Obama and he's bad.
More than that, I praised Reagan and because Stormin' has a thing about me, he twisted it around and said I blamed and insulted Reagan. Stormin' is a one trick pony; strong on cliche quips and not much else. When you find a flaw in his ideas, or just make an addition, he replies with lies and insults.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:04:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Firefox and IE works better than thunderbird and IE. If you can't or won't use a REAL newsreader like Agent.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:29:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And I sent him Agent and the cheat codes last week. Which he acknowledged getting
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
On 7/30/2013 10:56 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:04:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I have OE6 here on my machine, right now, working with IE8 just fine. I don't see how IE and OE are related.

Live Mail sucks even more than OE but ADAIK, Live Mail came in with Vista. Where ARE you getting your information? Upgrading you internet browser and your email reader are completely separate and in dependant operations.

Once again. How are they related ????? IE6 will have trouble with many web sites. It has zero to do with OE as far as I know.
I think XP shipped with IE6. IE7 and IE8 are available as free upgrades. There never was and IE9 for XP.
In any case, what's wrong with FireFox, Chrome, or Opera. You have choices coming out the proverbial kazoo.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:04:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Why bother using either? They both suck. Hotmail and Gmail cover 99% of everything you need to do..and Firefox or Chrome..or even Opera work nicely for those. If your internet account comes with an email account.....simply download Pegasus Email for free
Hell..Gmail can be set up to check your regular ISP email account..so you dont even need to log into it..simply use Gmail. So can Pegasus Email IRRC. Ive used it for years on the kids and grandkids computers.
http://www.pmail.com/
Doing newsgroups..I already sent you a good copy of Forte Agent which you acknowledged receiving. Using lame software known to be problem children for years...shrug...you really should know better than that.
Its not rocket science Norman...you simply have to do stuff properly. Like checking to see what voltage that blower motor is. Is it 110vt or 220? Simply stuff. No brainer stuff.
Ive got a puter thats been up for 7 yrs, 24/7. Windows XP too. Im waiting for the drive to fail one of these days...so I keep regular automatic backups with a external USB drive. $50 brand new at the MicroCenter. When it goes..Im not going to fix it..Ill replace it with a P4 Ive got sitting on a self as a hot spare.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Gunner Asch wrote:

Or vice versa. gmail is my burner account. They have an excellent spam filter any anything that survives gets delivered to my ISP's POP3 server.

Ayup...it can be used to work both ways. And Gmail can take up to IRRC..a 200 meg file transfer as an email attachment. Most ISPs allow 5 megs at best
Good only for photos and that sort of thing
Gunner
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

Your friend just flunked because he/she is dead wrong.

Nonsense

If it stops working it is not because you upgraded IE. And as I said, there are other browsers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

OE is a component of Internet Explorer. It can be enabled in IE6 and 7. If you upgrade to IE8 with OE uninstalled, you can not re-install OE without first downgrading IE back to IE7 or IE6 first., because OE is not part of IE8. In XP you cannot go to IE9. In Win 7 you cannot go below IE 8, so no OE in Win7.
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:34:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But Stomin' has a virgin install of XP and therefore IE6. He should have no problem upgrading to 7 or 8. Yet he says he can't. (Unless he is just listening to his friend again.) I'm sure he could do it if he just got on with it.

And google apps has dropped support of IE8. Billie Boy is trying to force OS upgrade and google is trying to push Chrome.

OE was built into IE as I recall. I think IE8 (2009) was the last version that had it which is what I use now.
Tomsic

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:15:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I don't see how OE and IE are connected.
It's hard to understand why you can't update IE or anything else. You say it's a new install and it doesn't work. Literally millions upon millions of people have done a generic install with no problems.

I see you ignored some clues I gave you that are free and low cost.

That should do the job. What's the problem? Details would help us.

What Oops. Get the converter. Done.

Is there something in your religion that says you can't do the same thing? Or does it take away your victim status?

.

My work and travel computers both run XP and Outlook Express. For backups, I make a drive image of each computer twice a year using a 1TB USB drive (now well under $100) and copy the images on a second drive at another location. The images take up about 30-35 GB each. I like drive images because they take care of HD failures, malware or stubborn viruses easily and without delay. One upload to the new HD includes the OS plus all the software and settings with no software key hassles. (I've had two solid-state HD failures in the past 4 years and now, because the cost has come down, keep a spare SSD drive on hand with the image already on it.)
Outlook Express is easy to archive since everything is in one folder called "Outlook Express". Find it by using Windows Search. I keep business e-mails back to 2004 and have never had any trouble swapping out the current OE folder with an older one. Archiving e-mails also archives their attachments, of course. I keep a copy of my Address Book archived too. I can move the OE folder back and forth between my work and travel computers quickly (it's about 3-4 GB). Everything else is in "My Documents" and that's easy to back up every few days and move between the two machines as well.
Even with support, XP is slowing down as I load new software. It's also getting cranky and harder to keep working, so I'm migrating to Windows 8 and Outlook as I replace the computers - both about 10 years old. Older versions of Outlook (I have a 2003 copy) have a feature that will import OE files and the Address Book. I haven't tried doing that yet, but I'm hoping to first convert OE folders to Outlook and then use the .pst folder that results with the current Outlook version. We'll see.
Anyone using OE probably knows by now to compact the folders frequently, never let any folder get over 1 GB and to check the Outlook Express storage folder from time-to-time to make sure that, after compacting, OE didn't forget to delete any of the .bak files. They can take up a lot of storage space.
Tomsic
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 18:55:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

Right off the help file of win xp:
Feature: System Restore When to use it: When you suspect that any of the following changes have been made: a.. System or application settings have been changed. This includes changes made through property sheets and changes made to the registry. b.. Applications have been installed, updated, or removed. c.. Files other than data files have been added or deleted. If you suspect the problem is due to installing an application, first try removing that application. If the problem persists, use System Restore. You must be logged on as an administrator to use System Restore. What it does: Restores all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at a point in time you specify. Restores key application, driver, and operating system files changed since that time. Does not affect data files. Available on: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.
On 7/28/2013 11:13 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

System restore stare on Windows ME, and has been on every Microsoft OS since.
Restore points are created automatically From Wikipedia: "Restore points are created:
When software is installed using the Windows Installer, Package Installer or other installers which are aware of System Restore. When Windows Update installs new updates to Windows. When the user installs a driver that is not digitally signed by Windows Hardware Quality Labs. On Windows XP or Windows Vista, every 24 hours of computer use or when the operating system starts after being off for more than 24 hours (10 hours in Windows Me), or every 24 hours of calendar time, whichever happens first. This setting is configurable through the registry or using the deployment tools on Windows XP. Such a restore point is known as a system checkpoint. System Restore requires Task Scheduler to create system checkpoints. Moreover, system checkpoints are only created if the system is idle for a certain amount of time.In Windows 7, automatic Restore Points are created only once every seven days, however a script can be used to silently create Restore Points more frequently. When the user manually creates a Restore Point.
In Windows XP, restore point files are stored in a hidden folder named 'System Volume Information' on the root of every drive, partition or volume, including most external drives, and some USB flash drives. On drives or partitions that are not monitored by System Restore, this folder will be very small in size or completely empty, unless Encrypting File System is in use or the Indexing Service is turned on. If the System Volume Information folder is deleted, it will be recreated automatically.
Older restore points are deleted as per the configured space constraint on a First In, First Out basis."