Backup, backup!

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services. They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on Netflix streaming pissed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all have had outages. Shit happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

Reply to
rbowman

Hmmm. Must be a big rock because there's lots of folks under it. I'm one. Never noticed that AWS went down either.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every chance he gets.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

O&O Unerase does a pretty good job of recovering deleted files.

Might salvage his format bungle - if he hasn't written over it. If I understand correctly, format just wipes out the FAT tables. I think this program might very well rebuild them from the files it finds on the disk. They have a free trial so it might be worth a shot.

If that's not the ticket, lots of leads here

including some stuff that claims to be freeware.

Unfortunately, Stormin's standard mode of operation is to make some half hearted repair attempt instead of asking for help before he screws it up. THEN he reports failure and gives us sage advice. Along the way he blames the people that gave him the virus (if it even was that), MS for not supporting what they do fully support, and probably the company that makes the free virus checker he apparently didn't bother having. He blames everybody in sight for his lack of a news reader while Gunner sent him everything to get set up in style.

Amazingly, he also blames his failure to accomplish a new install of XP on a new drive on MS lack of support.

He's a victim, nothing is his fault, the world is out to get him.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Remember a few years ago, Blackberry lost one of their satellites. Most of the US was uncovered and I kind of remember Europe having some sort of problem. Lots of high powered business types were not happy.

I WAS impressed. They had a spare satellite in orbit but it took a day or two to move it into the right position to replaced the failed bird.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

A few weeks ago, someone at work needed to download some files from a customer that had them stored on icloud or some Apple file sharing something or other, and the firewall was blocking it so I had to figure out how to unblock it.

Unblocking all of the Apple applications traffic was not doing it so I had to do a packet capture to see what else was involved. After it touched almost 2 dozen different services, it appears that Apple was leasing AWS space for icloud because once I opened up traffic for AWS apps in the firewall, they could access and download the files.

Almost 2 dozen different services/IPs is what the packet capture showed! ISPs, marketing and ad servers, cloud storage providers, download managers, etc. all had this traffic pass thru. That shows there really is no privacy in the cloud.

Reply to
misanthrope

As far as #4 he seems to be fully aware of that issue since he's mentioned it himself a few times. Good for him.

His whole post is a comedy of errors.

XP is not out of support and probably won't be for many years to come. MSFT will keep changing the end date.

Downloading a service pack from a non-MSFT site is truly insane. What would you expect to get, but a load of viruses?

I sincerely doubt any virus actually damaged a drive so bad it could not be formatted. Technically possible but really unlikely. The virus would have to mess with the firmware.

Poor guy. He's got to lay off the LSD, it's turning what remains of his brain to mush.

Reply to
Dan Espen

This is your payback for years of top posting on usenet.

Reply to
Larry W

That's LDS , and having experienced both I'm pretty sure LDS is more mind-altering .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

See, as I was trying to say, same thing.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Blackberry does not HAVE satellites. They lost a SERVER.

Reply to
clare

Darn, you are right. I hate it when that happens.

I was confusing the Blackberry problem with the loss of Galaxy 4 in

1968 which shut down pager services among others.

Winston_Smith

Actually, they still do. They'll discontinue support for XP on April

8, 2014.

That's a Rasmussen poll. Rasmussen poll participants trend older. They're less likely to adopt new trends and new technology than, say, their grandkids. They probably still watch movies on VHS tape and DVDs while their grandkids are watching them streamed to their phones and computers.

The move to digital products, including e-books, is huge and is being driven by demand. Students prefer e-books since they don't have to actually visit a library to check them out, they can find the information they're researching very quickly in the book using a simple search command, and they don't need to lug around heavy textbooks anymore. Plus, they can be read on most mobile devices. Basically the same reasons more and more people prefer to buy or rent digital copies of music and movies instead of buying them in physical format.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

CY: No got big bucks. No got recovery programs.

CY: I did save the dbx files from OE. But,t hat's not much help?

If they are, TB

CY: Oops.

CY: Lucky you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I may try that later this year, if finances pick up a bit. Good idea, thank you.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that sure makes sense.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, and you probably hate me, too?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS. There are other browsers.

Reply to
dadiOH

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer. Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather don't like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery