Backup, backup!

That is true. After a couple of time getting this computer jammed up and having to reload software, change plans, etc. I'm a bit nervous about doing any more changes for a while. I'll limp along on this less than perfect system. At least I can get and send emails, even if it's not as user friendly as the Outlook Express I lost.

. Christ>>>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your friend just flunked because he/she is dead wrong.

Nonsense

If it stops working it is not because you upgraded IE. And as I said, there are other browsers.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's what the colleges miss. They are so intent on producing 'computer scientists' they spend more time on the theoretical underpinnings than how to get things done. I got an alumni newsletter where the school announced a new degree course in games and simulations. My first reaction was 'basketweaving!' but after thinking for a moment I realized they were actually trying to teach a specific skill set that might get the graduates a paying job.

Reply to
rbowman

Back when I was taking ComSci classes, the emphasis was on "What do you need to know, and how to find it out." It was about Computer Science - as a theoretical discipline. Programming with a #2 pencil" as my girlfriend put it. And it ranges from hardware I/O, resource allocation in the OS, what makes a "good" program, error trapping/correction ("Do not test for an error condition you don't know what to do about."), S/W testing, etc. Modeling - what it is, what it can't do "yet". And so forth. Applications have their own set of meta issues. In any given year, you have about five or six people who really are there for that stuff. "Algorithms+Data Structures = Programs" The other people there mostly want to write the code for the program, and let someone else think about the algorithm and the data-structure. They're needed too..

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

OE is a component of Internet Explorer. It can be enabled in IE6 and

  1. If you upgrade to IE8 with OE uninstalled, you can not re-install OE without first downgrading IE back to IE7 or IE6 first., because OE is not part of IE8. In XP you cannot go to IE9. In Win 7 you cannot go below IE 8, so no OE in Win7.
Reply to
clare

You've got a better chance to default on the second coming. Banks give up, credit card companies give up, student load holders will screw with you until the day you die.

Reply to
rbowman

I've usually worked for smaller companies. There's none of that gradation of software engineers, analysts, grunt level programmers and so forth.

Reply to
rbowman

But Stomin' has a virgin install of XP and therefore IE6. He should have no problem upgrading to 7 or 8. Yet he says he can't. (Unless he is just listening to his friend again.) I'm sure he could do it if he just got on with it.

And google apps has dropped support of IE8. Billie Boy is trying to force OS upgrade and google is trying to push Chrome.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first time, sans bugs.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?

Reply to
rbowman

Naw, just someone who doesn't understand this thing called "Life".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

... Or accuse you of having been nasty to him, yet when asked to provide a message reference cite, fails to do so and can't even remember what was said that was so offensive...

Reply to
Flint

Not to mention Thunderbird is far easier to use than OE, and more user configurable to boot.

Reply to
Flint

Not to mention there are other options preferable to Outhouse Express:

If he doesn't like Thunderbird (why I'll never understand), he could also use SeaMonkey browser/email application (which is closer to the old Netscape 4.7x), or Gravity for his newsreader, or Xananews. Any of those are better than lame Outhouse Express, and free as well...

Reply to
Flint

They've probably experienced a BORING life which is why they don't grok how interesting life can be. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The answer is 42.

. Christ> rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:00:44 -0600 typed

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
1) can't figure out the message rules for Usenet in Thunderchicken. Just barely figuring out how to do a few things. 2) can't delete usenet messages in Thunderchicken. 3) can't read all my email accounts into one folder for Thunderchicken. Each email adress goes to a separate folder. 4) Can't read email properties in TC, like I did in OE.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So dump it and use OE

Reply to
dadiOH

Sigh. I guess you havn't read the earlier messages?

. Christ>> 1) can't figure out the message rules for Usenet in

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The Daring Dufas on Thu, 01 Aug

2013 06:19:13 -0500 typed >> rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:00:44 -0600 typed

You might consider it boring. They don't. I didn't.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich