Backup, backup!

It also doesn?t spread viruses as easily as OE.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I don't trust cloud storage, as that means someone else can read the data. With a local external drive, it's not readable by others. As it happens, I did have two drives in my computer, at the point that I downloaded the malware (pretending to be XP service pack 3). I lost both drives. One was able to reformat, the other was not. Both drives, the data was all lost. Looking back, I ought have disconnected the F drive, and kept the data safe. Ought to have had all that data on a disconnected external drive before I went for the "upgrade". Some of the data had been burned to CD or DVD, and that's recoverable.

. Christ> Hi,

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP on it and OE doesn't work? What's it not doing, should be no problem whatsoever.

Had you not formated your old drive you could have easily gotten all your stuff - including the emails - off of it. Too late now, gone forever...unless you are willing to spend Big Bucks with a data recovery service.

For those emails which you still have and which Thunderbird can't read, Thunderbird can certainly read them if they are in the form of discrete files (*.eml); i.e., not all jammed into a MS dbx file. If they are, TB can import them if both it and OE are on the same computer; if not, there are third party programs that will extract them from the *dbx and save them as *.eml which can then be imported or read by TB.

Personally, I dislike TB. I recently bought a laptop with Winn8, tried at least a dozen email programs trying to find one that would do what OE does and as easily. I found none. I finally set up a virtual machine, installed XP on it and am now using OE again.

Reply to
dadiOH

I had Carbonite when my machine went south last fall. I do not recommend it. Takes overnight first use and then slows down computer with constant interference. While it saved my business files, it did not save music or videos and most importantly did not save my Thunderbird profile and I lost all old retained emails and addresses. Now using a Seagate backup drive on new computer.

Reply to
Frank

Minor correction...Outlook is not, Outlook EXPRESS is. Two different programs.

Reply to
dadiOH

.

My work and travel computers both run XP and Outlook Express. For backups, I make a drive image of each computer twice a year using a 1TB USB drive (now well under $100) and copy the images on a second drive at another location. The images take up about 30-35 GB each. I like drive images because they take care of HD failures, malware or stubborn viruses easily and without delay. One upload to the new HD includes the OS plus all the software and settings with no software key hassles. (I've had two solid-state HD failures in the past 4 years and now, because the cost has come down, keep a spare SSD drive on hand with the image already on it.)

Outlook Express is easy to archive since everything is in one folder called "Outlook Express". Find it by using Windows Search. I keep business e-mails back to 2004 and have never had any trouble swapping out the current OE folder with an older one. Archiving e-mails also archives their attachments, of course. I keep a copy of my Address Book archived too. I can move the OE folder back and forth between my work and travel computers quickly (it's about 3-4 GB). Everything else is in "My Documents" and that's easy to back up every few days and move between the two machines as well.

Even with support, XP is slowing down as I load new software. It's also getting cranky and harder to keep working, so I'm migrating to Windows 8 and Outlook as I replace the computers - both about 10 years old. Older versions of Outlook (I have a 2003 copy) have a feature that will import OE files and the Address Book. I haven't tried doing that yet, but I'm hoping to first convert OE folders to Outlook and then use the .pst folder that results with the current Outlook version. We'll see.

Anyone using OE probably knows by now to compact the folders frequently, never let any folder get over 1 GB and to check the Outlook Express storage folder from time-to-time to make sure that, after compacting, OE didn't forget to delete any of the .bak files. They can take up a lot of storage space.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

I don't get the fascination with cloud storage either. I do see the point that files are available at any time from any location, handy if you travel a lot. Problem is, the connections to the internet are not perfect and not always available. I'd hate to be sitting at either my home of office computer and not be able to work on a spreadsheet or revise a letter because the DSL line is out or a storm took out the cable.

For backup, it is probably OK, but so is burning a CD or using a thumb drive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You are correct. Stormin' likes OE because it does e-mail and usenet. So Outlook wouldn't be what he wants.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Winston,

Will you please say more about this? I've heard a lot about this, but I never have understood what I've heard. All education will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
pilgrim

Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

You ought to have gotten your service pack from microsoft.

Winston_Smith

The last 3 computers I bought were off ebay for $ 100 or less including the shipping. Most were just the desk top unit and they usually come with XP sp3 on them and a cd with the system. Also loaded with some free wear such as the dvd burning program and Open Office. The last was a P4 3.2 ghz. As I don't do games, that is fast enough for what I do.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It's really just a personal conclusion on my part based on what I see evolving in the marketplace.

I'm a lover of the long obsolete Pocket PC which runs a simplified form of Windows. Not that I love windows but that machine is a full up windows computer with a simplified version of the Office package on it when it comes out of the box. And fits in my shirt pocket with room to spare.

The flaw in the business model was that once they sell the hardware and maybe a few applications, there is no more income stream.

I bought my first one in 2003. At that time cell phones were big, expensive, stupid, and had a text only monochrome screen something like a 1'' by 1.5''. Just big enough to show a phone number and a name. All it could do was make phone calls and pretty high priced phone calls at that.

The PPC can't make phone calls but does a decent job of everything else within it's obvious physical limits.

Over the years, cell phones got bigger screens, color, and the processor got smart enough to run "apps". And millions of developers wrote them. And some apps use processing power at a server on the network.

Cell phones put the PPC out of business but they come with a monthly bill - good business model, not good for me. And they come with considerable questions about privacy.

But they do do most of the things most people want a computer for. In a great many homes they have completely replaced both the desktop box and the land line. Plus, you get a bigger, better, and cheaper one every year or two.

At the same time companies were giving up stand-alone computers. Hard to maintain, easy for employee tampering, well meant or not. And difficult to collect information into a central database. That's essential for any sort of statistical process control, tracking production progress from input to output, software licence management, version updates, etc. They have gone to what looks like a personal computer at each point of use. It most IS a PC but it's pretty limited hardware and really functions as a dumb terminal to the server. It has almost zero software on it. Simple and cheap and all upgrades are done at one server instead of X stations.

So from both the consumer and commercial/industrial side of the picture, the belch-fire V8 stand alone computer is a dinosaur. And sales figures show that.

I don't think it's a big reach to say the powerful, stand alone, home machine will go the way of the PPC. That's a personal conclusion and I expect someone will pop up here to dispute it. I'd like to hear opposing views. Only time will tell.

The laptop took over for a lot of desktops. But look at their evolution. The netbook is fast replacing laptops for many users. It's getting so computer screens are getting smaller and cell phone screens are getting bigger. Net books are heavily network dependent. Android tablets almost completely. Revenue stream.

Look at the software business models. If Gates sells you XP, it's one sale. In theory it's limited to one computer for as long as it lasts. It's easy to put it on several, it's easy to migrate it to a new machine. Not good for Gates. He started talking about leasing the OS by the year long, long ago. Many engineering applications already do. Perpetual income streams. That means a network machine.

Cell phones - perpetual income streams and perhaps more money to be made from tracking people and selling advertising information than from the monthly usage charge. Same story for the 99 cent applications.

Revenue streams for application writers. Either you work corporate or you work the personal market. How much can I charge Joe Sixpack for an app? You don't go to the software store and buy a box anymore. They make their money selling it in bulk, through a network distribution channel (with a zero per copy physical cost), to millions of users. Users hanging on the network. And most of them generate user profile income, if not personal then in aggregate.

Windows has had trouble establishing itself in the cell phone market. People seem to like Android. That interface is purely geared to personal use and to social networking and entertainment media. Windows

7 and 8 are look-alikes. Most cell phones are Android. Most tablets are Android. That format will dominate on personal equipment. Simple, uncluttered on a small screen, suitable for touch screen instead of keyboard/mouse, does what Joe Sixpack wants to do. While Win7-8 can be reconfigured to look/work like XP, it's an extra step. Commerce/industry won't bother. They will run Linux on a heavy duty server and give individual workstations a simple dumb client machine with what ever screen serves their needs. The security is better too.

I'll climb off my soap box now. I'll repeat this is a personal estimation of the future. The future likes to take screwball turns, but so far the path as been consistent and it also makes sense - small personal devices completely network dependant. Or stand alone, secure commercial servers on a tightly controlled internal network. There is not enough middle ground to support a business model. (Land lines will go extinct before too long too.)

If anyone agrees with this, the message is to stock up on performance computer hardware and archive your existing software for the future.

It's both a choice between what mode you want to do your computing chores in, and how you want to trade off one time cost vs. monthly cost, and how you want to trade off convenient and current vs. privacy.

Full disclosure: I'm in alt.survival. I'm always thinking in terms of what if the standard way of the world goes bad. How do I live off-grid with minimal dependence on outside products and services. If you see the world going on forever, just getting better and better, ignore me. You are probably right, but I'm keeping my options open.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Right off the help file of win xp:

Feature: System Restore When to use it: When you suspect that any of the following changes have been made: a.. System or application settings have been changed. This includes changes made through property sheets and changes made to the registry. b.. Applications have been installed, updated, or removed. c.. Files other than data files have been added or deleted. If you suspect the problem is due to installing an application, first try removing that application. If the problem persists, use System Restore. You must be logged on as an administrator to use System Restore. What it does: Restores all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at a point in time you specify. Restores key application, driver, and operating system files changed since that time. Does not affect data files. Available on: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It's that dependence that is the Achilles heel. People may rethink if something like AWS goes down hard for a few days.

Reply to
rbowman

XP has ALWAYS had restore points. You can turn the feature on or off.

Reply to
clare

Thanks, Gunner. It's nice to know.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

AWS? What dat?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

System restore stare on Windows ME, and has been on every Microsoft OS since.

Restore points are created automatically From Wikipedia: "Restore points are created:

When software is installed using the Windows Installer, Package Installer or other installers which are aware of System Restore. When Windows Update installs new updates to Windows. When the user installs a driver that is not digitally signed by Windows Hardware Quality Labs. On Windows XP or Windows Vista, every 24 hours of computer use or when the operating system starts after being off for more than 24 hours (10 hours in Windows Me), or every 24 hours of calendar time, whichever happens first. This setting is configurable through the registry or using the deployment tools on Windows XP. Such a restore point is known as a system checkpoint. System Restore requires Task Scheduler to create system checkpoints. Moreover, system checkpoints are only created if the system is idle for a certain amount of time.In Windows 7, automatic Restore Points are created only once every seven days, however a script can be used to silently create Restore Points more frequently. When the user manually creates a Restore Point.

In Windows XP, restore point files are stored in a hidden folder named 'System Volume Information' on the root of every drive, partition or volume, including most external drives, and some USB flash drives. On drives or partitions that are not monitored by System Restore, this folder will be very small in size or completely empty, unless Encrypting File System is in use or the Indexing Service is turned on. If the System Volume Information folder is deleted, it will be recreated automatically.

Older restore points are deleted as per the configured space constraint on a First In, First Out basis."

Reply to
David J. Hughes

Never download MS updates from a non-MS site!

Reply to
misanthrope