Backup, backup!

Page 4 of 9

All I plan on running is XP except for a couple of older laptops that have win 98 on them. I need that so I can boot to dos from time to time to run some programs that set up other equipment. The softwear will either not run on XP or the other machines are too fast for the softwear. I am also stuck on OE as it meets my needs.
I don't do anything that the other operating sustems will do for me. As long as the operating system will load in the programs I run, that is all I need.

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP on it and OE doesn't work? What's it not doing, should be no problem whatsoever.
Had you not formated your old drive you could have easily gotten all your stuff - including the emails - off of it. Too late now, gone forever...unless you are willing to spend Big Bucks with a data recovery service.
For those emails which you still have and which Thunderbird can't read, Thunderbird can certainly read them if they are in the form of discrete files (*.eml); i.e., not all jammed into a MS dbx file. If they are, TB can import them if both it and OE are on the same computer; if not, there are third party programs that will extract them from the *dbx and save them as *.eml which can then be imported or read by TB.
Personally, I dislike TB. I recently bought a laptop with Winn8, tried at least a dozen email programs trying to find one that would do what OE does and as easily. I found none. I finally set up a virtual machine, installed XP on it and am now using OE again.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:03:14 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

O&O Unerase does a pretty good job of recovering deleted files. http://www.oo-software.com/en/
http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodiskrecovery/features Might salvage his format bungle - if he hasn't written over it. If I understand correctly, format just wipes out the FAT tables. I think this program might very well rebuild them from the files it finds on the disk. They have a free trial so it might be worth a shot.
If that's not the ticket, lots of leads here https://www.google.com/search?q=unformat including some stuff that claims to be freeware.
Unfortunately, Stormin's standard mode of operation is to make some half hearted repair attempt instead of asking for help before he screws it up. THEN he reports failure and gives us sage advice. Along the way he blames the people that gave him the virus (if it even was that), MS for not supporting what they do fully support, and probably the company that makes the free virus checker he apparently didn't bother having. He blames everybody in sight for his lack of a news reader while Gunner sent him everything to get set up in style.
Amazingly, he also blames his failure to accomplish a new install of XP on a new drive on MS lack of support.
He's a victim, nothing is his fault, the world is out to get him.
Yeah, and you probably hate me, too?
On 7/29/2013 12:25 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:21:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Says our favorite self-described victim. Just your asinine behavior, ol' son.

do updates or much else on the web.

CY: I did save the dbx files from OE. But,t hat's not much help?
If they are, TB

CY: Lucky you.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS. There are other browsers.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 7/30/2013 7:37 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Quit hanging around with dumb people.
I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.
This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.
Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

On 7/30/2013 7:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, there is a compatibility mode that can be selected for running programs. I've never had to use it so I'll have to check it out. o_O
TDD
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:28:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

There is such a thing but I've never had to use it even with some pretty ancient DOS and Win 3.1 stuff running under XP.
Like the poster above you, I'm running XP-SP3, OE6, Outlook2003, and IE8 just fine. FireFox works fine with that combo as does Forte Agent in both usenet and email functions.
This is not rocket science.
On 7/30/2013 9:26 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

I'm going to write about what I've done soon because I had a major system GRONK caused by MS Antivirus but I'm recovering everything. ^_^
TDD
On 7/30/2013 10:26 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

Not to mention there are other options preferable to Outhouse Express:
If he doesn't like Thunderbird (why I'll never understand), he could also use SeaMonkey browser/email application (which is closer to the old Netscape 4.7x), or Gravity for his newsreader, or Xananews. Any of those are better than lame Outhouse Express, and free as well...
--
MFB

Oops, that is a bit of a surprise. I'll pass the word.
On 7/30/2013 8:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:20:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor bastard thought they were teaching him something worth money.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Gunner Asch wrote:

Over the past year or so, I've interviewed several people with recent CS degrees. They did not get their money's worth. We are not looking for skilled programmers with impressive resumes, just entry level programmers with enough background to not require extensive handholding. The two hires in that time did not have degrees.
in alt.survival the following:

    I'm finding that my "mechanical drafting" in high school, and the intervening decades, gave me the "smarts" to know what needs to be done, so that the technical training in the software is more along the lines of "how do I do what I want to do, in this software?"     Of course some things - couldn't really be done "by hand". Not as precisely and not nearly as quickly.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

That's what the colleges miss. They are so intent on producing 'computer scientists' they spend more time on the theoretical underpinnings than how to get things done. I got an alumni newsletter where the school announced a new degree course in games and simulations. My first reaction was 'basketweaving!' but after thinking for a moment I realized they were actually trying to teach a specific skill set that might get the graduates a paying job.
in alt.survival the following:

    Back when I was taking ComSci classes, the emphasis was on "What do you need to know, and how to find it out." It was about Computer Science - as a theoretical discipline. Programming with a #2 pencil" as my girlfriend put it.     And it ranges from hardware I/O, resource allocation in the OS, what makes a "good" program, error trapping/correction ("Do not test for an error condition you don't know what to do about."), S/W testing, etc. Modeling - what it is, what it can't do "yet". And so forth. Applications have their own set of meta issues. In any given year, you have about five or six people who really are there for that stuff. "Algorithms+Data Structures = Programs"     The other people there mostly want to write the code for the program, and let someone else think about the algorithm and the data-structure. They're needed too..
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I've usually worked for smaller companies. There's none of that gradation of software engineers, analysts, grunt level programmers and so forth.