Antifreeze - not just for cars

The stuff they use for RV's and Boats. Non-toxic, and okay to pour in the river.
Add pictures here
✖

It has an alcohol base, IIRC, and that evaporates.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:39:31 -0800, "Steve B"

propylene glycol
You can drink it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 9, 7:09 am, "Stormin Mormon"

You could use a plunger on a sink (new would be a good choice) and get nearly all the water out (pushing not pulling).
bob_v
Add pictures here
✖
Bob Villa wrote:

Around here it occasionally gets cold enough to damage plumbing but the temp has to drop to 15F or lower for several days before there is a plumbers bonanza. It's my understanding that in colder parts of the country, folks setup the plumbing system so that it's easily drained and also configured in such a way that compressed air can be used to blow out any residual water. It seems to me that a plumbing company could have a service where they could justify the expense of a large high volume air compressor like those used for jackhammers and go from one customer to another to clear their lines or blow a nontoxic antifreeze mix through a system. With all of the foreclosures going on, the creditors would probably have an interest in some sort of mothballing service.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
you never want sewer gas to be allowed in your home!!
sewer gas can have gasoline, natural gas and other explosive vapors besides bad stink.
the cost of antifreeze is low, the cost of fixing the damage can be a killer
Add pictures here
✖

I thought this section of the thread was about using a compressor to blast residual water out of THE SUPPLY PIPES, and whether there were people who would provide this service.
Add pictures here
✖
Shhh... you'll interrupt his confusion.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

plumbers are the ideal people to winterize homes. costly but knowledgable. and on the hook to fix stuff they miss, come spring
locally they have been busy winterizing closed car dealerships.......
and closed stores in general. this will probably get more common after the first of bthe year when more stores go belly up
Add pictures here
✖
When I was a little guy, we used to vacation in the Adirondaks. Fishing, and get away from it all. The cabins we rented had no insulation. I'm sure they had to be drained and had the pipes blown out for winter. Many in the finger lakes, likely the same way. I've been to some homes where the driveway is vertical, and I've had to pray for safety on the way in, or the way out. Winter? Forget it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖
Wow, that's a lot like work. How many deer did you hit, this year, in Durand? Do you support feeding the deer, or shooting? Did the "police snipers" do OK?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖
My sister used to live in the edge of the city. One neighbor of hers didn't like the woodchuck (groundhog) in the yard. There was unspoken agreement, every now and again he'd pop the latest woodchuck with .22RF using shorts or CB caps or whatever. Some of the ligher loaded rimfire are barely audible. I've heard that if the muzzle is a foot or so inside the (open, silly) window, it keeps slight bit of noise indoors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

My wife sprays "Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent". It does work. It smells like rotten eggs when sprayed on, but the smell dissipates within a minute or so. The deer have left the sprayed plants alone, and after a while, the deer learn that there is nothing appetizing there, so they don't even come close.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Tried it. They laughed at it and ate half the branches off a rugosa rose. Do you have any idea how many thorns are on a well-grown rugosa? These deer are all named Rambo.
Add pictures here
✖
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Well, the deer were there before you were. And since humans got rid of the natural predators, and only replaced predation in part with automotive depopulation, it isn't surprising the population is spiking.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Funny thing about humans, they have anti-predators known as Tree Hugging Democrats. They prevent predation which causes all kinds of pesky animal species to invade human habitats after the animal populations increase exponentially.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The sink and toilet traps have been antifreezed. Now, the concern turns to pipes in the walls.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus