About recalls for runaway cars.

Page 5 of 10

On Mar 20, 5:49am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well, being an all around "expert" _is_ a full time job. After all if you want to be wrong about just about any subject you really have to keep up with the literature.
Harry K
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:49:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:17:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, then, by any chance were your parents first cousins?
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:24:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Ashton, I've driven STANDARD SHIFT cars with left foot braking in competition - I know what is involved and my feet work well together when it is done for that purpose. The brain needs to be well engaged when doing it, and it has NOTHING to do with reaction time and stopping.
I've also left foot braked front drive automatic cars for the same purpose. On low powered automatics it is not as effective, and with ABS it doesn't work at all. The practice of jabbing the brake with the left foot to hang out the rear on a front drive car in competition started with Saab drivers, where the hand brake acting on the FRONT wheels of the front drive car, could not be used to break the rear end loose to slide it through the corners. Then guys like Colin found it was easier to do it even on cars with rear hand brakes because it freed up one hand.
Left foot braking an automatic car on the street is a poor and dangerous practice.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:54:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You can make unsupported statements of OPINON as many times as you want but it doesn't turn it into anything other then YOUR opinion. LFB on the street is a very safe and very effect way to engage in defensive driving and as a side benefit it allows for smoother driving if you are interested in the comfort of your passengers. It does require a higher level of training and skill and consequently not many people do it. That is not simply opinion, the PHYSICS of how it is applied, by the info posted here by others, shows at a minimum there is a gain of 0.2 seconds (equivalent to nearly 20 feet at 60 mph, a common freeway speed) if the only thing you do is drive EXACTLY like a RFB except that you move your left foot into position half a second sooner then you/they would have moved your/their right foot into position. That is the MINIMUM gain from LFB and has nothing to do with MY opinion or anyone else's, it's just a FACT.

Passenger comfort? Now you're really going into lala land.

I'd say most people don't do it because nobody that I know of was ever trained that way. People typically take driver ed in high school or a private driving school. I ridden with countless people over the years and can't recall a single one of them that was a left foot braker. Now, if it's so much safer and such a superior technique, why do you suppose that no driving schools apparently teach it? The NJ drivers manual recommends right foot braking, which strongly suggests that at least in this state, it's unlikely it's going to be taught otherwise.
I failed the NJ driving test decades ago for left foot braking. The driving test guy asked me where I learned it. I told him my father, which was actually only partly true. My father did teach me to drive, but apparently he wasn;t very good at it. I don't recall him ever telling me which foot to use. I just wound up starting out that way by chance and he didn't correct me. I quickly switched to right foot usage and found it easier, more logical and I believe safer, especially when you also drive stick shifts.

First, I don't think anyone has proven that you gain .2 secs. But even if you assume it's true, it's largely meaningless, because you have acknowledged that you don't have your foot hoovering most of the time. I'll bet in reality it's a small percentage of the time. So, when the unexpected happens, your foot may actually take LONGER to get there because it's resting further away on the floor. As to starting the "superior" hoovering procedure when you feel the need for caution, I have an even better idea. Just slow down right then like the rest of us and gain not just your alleged 18ft, but as much distance as you need to be safe. I can picture you in my rear view mirror, tailgating and unwilling to just increase the seperation, because you don't want to give up that extra 18 feet or bring alleged discomfort to your passengers and have great confidence in your alleged superior stopping ability.
On Mar 21, 3:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Well, when he is trying to coordinate two feet doing opposing actions at the same time I guess Ashton probably does do a lot of jerking.
Harry K

Keep believing what you want. Doesn't make it true.
BYE BYE!!!

The right foot is not already there, it's pushing on the gas. That's why LFB is better, you can be PREPARED to brake before you even let off the gas. If you don't need to brake nothing's been lost.

So just how do you know when an emergecny is going ot occur so you can put you Left foot over the pedal? You keep harping about reaction time. That only counts in emergencies when you have you foot on the floor....unless you consistently tail gate of course.
Harry K
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:50:47 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

might need to brake at any time you take your RIGHT foot off the accellerator, and while it is still in motion, without having to command the LEFT foot to do anything, you hit the brakes.
Much faster reaction time, and NO CHANCE that both feet will be down at the same time on both pedals.
Left foot braking IS dangerous - it doesn't matter how many years YOU have gotten away with it..
On Mar 17, 7:27pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

== Exactly. ==

I bet you are worried the Hadron Collider is going to create a black hole and the earth will get sucked into it.

== Should THAT happen, I would hope that your "hover" foot would hit the brake quickly before you got sucked down the hole. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. ==
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:27:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

how ridiculous. whatever you can do with your right foot you can do just as quickly with your left foot. The difference is that you can pre-position your left foot in situations where you would not be taking your right foot off the throttle. In doing so you eliminate about a half second of reaction time should that situation deteriorate to where you do need to brake. There is nothing dangerous about left foot braking, to the contrary, it's safer then right foot braking. You sound like a hysterical old woman.

The ONLY reason that braking with the right foot is customary is because cars used to have a third pedal for the clutch. If the first cars had come equipped with automatic transmissions, NO ONE would use their right foot for braking. It would be stone cold stupid to do everything with one foot, unless your other foot had been amputated.
Do these chuckleheads steer with only one hand, because in the olden days, you needed your other hand for shifting?
On Mar 18, 5:14am, snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

Now THAT goes beyond stupid. The only car I know of that had 3 pedals was the Model T.
Harry K
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:47:46 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

You've never seen a car with a manual transmission and a clutch pedal? What color is the sun on your planet?
BTW - my 1941 and 1946 Chevy Pickup trucks had FOUR pedals.