About recalls for runaway cars.

Page 4 of 10

Agreed. So don't do it.

By the same authority, it doesn't make it wrong. I was just using it to confirm my memory that my Michigan driver's ed taught left foot braking.

This could be a problem, but hasn't for me. I own both automatics and manuals. I move between them regularly. I brake with the appropriate foot without thinking about it, even in an emergency. I've *never* screwed it up.
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of controversy this has stirred up. It's clear I'm in the minority here and on the net. That's OK. In any case, I'm done with this topic.
-- Doug

It's not the first time and wont' be the last. It usually shows up in the driving forums though.
I defy anyone to drive any time at all with their left foot in the air above the pedal. Whether they are aware of it or not, they _will_ have their foot touching the pedal.
Harry K
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Harry, I've done it for years and my foot doesn't press the pedal. Is your foot really so insensitive that you can't tell the difference between when you are touching something and pressing something? It's no different then when someone has their foot on the gas pedal, if they are moving they are pressing the gas and holding it in a fixed position. If they are stopped they will merely be touching it and it won't move yet you can tell you are touching it. it's the same with the brakes. As I said in the other post, these things are skills that you learn by doing. If people don't want to learn them it's their choice, if they learn them poorly, that's their problem, but there is no doubt that left foot braking can provide shorter reaction times and smoother driving, all other things being equal, it's just the physics of the thing.

If you have your left foot on the brake you need to hold the foot up. Resting the front of your foot on the brake pedal is riding the brakes on many cars. After hours on the road you will relax those muscles.

== After 60 years of driving, I have never heard of such a ridiculous claim regarding left foot braking. Ashton must be of a very small minority who practices "left-foot" braking. I'm sure most of the long- haul truckers would laugh at his conclusions. ==

As a practical matter, you don't hold your foot in the air, nor do you rest in on the pedal. You keep your foot on the floor just like any other driver. If you are in a situation where you "may" need the brakes at any time, you can then elect to move that foot to a ready position, thus the faster reaction time.
wrote

"Faster" than using the right foot, which is already there? Left foot brakers should not be allowed to drive. Period.
wrote

Or allowing for confusion and the wrong foot applying pressure to the wrong pedal. It also allows pressure to be applied to BOTH pedals at the same time. (riding the brake;not good for both car and traffic behind it.)
and the reflex HABIT of always using the same foot for the braking task never gets developed,and in an emergency,confusion can result.

No,just on racetracks. Maybe the "dead pedal" on auto tranny cars should be a deadman's switch; remove the foot from it and the engine shuts off.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's interesting that the person, you, who has zero skill at left foot braking holds themselves out as the expert on what will happen to people who left foot brake. You are completely wrong, not surprisingly, since you are speaking from a position of ignorance. Why don't you talk about something you actually know something about, assuming there is some such subject.

Hooo boy, are you wrong about his experience!!!
Harry K

kit would stall. Finally convinced him to let ME fix the carb, since the dealer couldn't get it right.
No more left foot braking.
On Mar 18, 1:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Same here on more than one of my junkers back in the 40s/50s. Not a fun thing to do.
Harry K
wrote

How can the right foot "already there" when it is on the gas pedal? The left can be hovering over the brake. I'm not saying it is a better method, just that under certain limited circumstances it can be faster. That can happen in say, congested fast moving traffic with on and off ramps where you may need a bit of extra caution. Certainly not cruising the highway for even a couple of minutes.

I notice the aficiandos have backed off from 'riding with the foot above the pedal' to 'only when one expects to use it'. Seems to shoot down their 'faster reaction time' seeing that the right foot is not only _already there_ but even a bit closer to the brake since it is on the gas pedal and alredy off the floor. Of course if one is in cruise then there is no time advantage at all to eithef foot.
Harry K
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:21:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

None of the aficionados has backed off something. It's the people who don't know what they are talking about who keep saying left foot brakers drive around "with their foot above the pedal" as if they have it there the whole time they are driving. LFBers brake with the left foot by moving their foot in and out of position just like right foot brakers do, the main difference is that unlike right foot brakers, they can maintain position and speed on the throttle with their right foot while using the left foot to prepare to brake thereby driving in a smoother manner with greater safety all other things being equal.

If you feel the need to put your left foot over the brake pedal to prepare to brake, then why would you not simply take your right foot off the gas FIRST and use it instead? There is nothing safe about a situation where you still have the throttle applied while anticipating the need to stop with such urgency that you have a foot hoovering over the brake pedal. If I anticpate the need to brake, the FIRST thing I do is take my foot off the gas pedal. At that point, it's available to brake. And there is only one action now to take to stop the car, which is to press the brake. With your method, to bring the car to a stop requires TWO actions, removing your right foot from the depressed gas pedal and applying the brake with the left foot. What you suggest is implicitly unsafe. Capiche?
I'd like to see any reference for your claim that using two feet is safer. Find us any online driving reference that recommends it. If it's safer, why does NJ fail you on the driving test?
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:32:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for you folks to grasp. LFB allows me to BE PREPARED at an earlier point in time then one would be if they used their right foot to brake. If RFB were being used I would not take my foot off the throttle because the apparent need for braking would not be high enough to do so.
There is nothing safe about a

Again, the concept is not one of immediate urgency, it is one of being prepared SOONER then one otherwise would be if you were to RFB. It allows you to gain roughly 50 extra feet of "virtual" following distance and the ONLY thing you need to do is USE both feet instead of letting one of your feet just lay there like a dead fish.
If I anticipate the need to brake, the FIRST thing I

That's not correct. IF I need to brake the two actions (right foot up and left foot down) happen simultaneously, not serially. There's nothing unsafe about it. How do I know? Because I've been doing it for decades.

I doubt you'll find anyone has ever studied it. As to why it is or is not recommended, as was pointed out earlier, it used to be taught in Drivers Ed in some areas. I can only guess why NJ would fail someone, and most likely it's because most people are like you, which means two things, one - they right foot brake all the time, two - they think whatever way they do something is the only acceptable way. No doubt the guy in charge of setting the pass-fail rules for NJ thinks like you do and he gets to make the rules.
I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question, ...
If using the left foot to brake is SO confusing and dangerous, how can you accept flying in an airplane with a pilot that drove to the airport braking with his right foot and steering with a steering wheel, but who will "drive" the 767 down the runway steering with his feet and braking with BOTH feet. Or if he drives a motor cycle he will drive to the airport shifting his motor cycle with his left foot, working the throttle with his right hand, and braking with his left hand and right foot, while working teh clutch with his left hand. Surely he will be VERY confused and if there is an emergency on takeoff or landing his hands and feet will just go into spasms from all the nerve confusion. Or the same basic question as it relates to someone who drives both a car and a motorcycle.... surely there is such a difference in how the feet and hands are used in a car versus a motorcycle that it would be MADNESS for the same person to be allowed to drive both. For some reason you anti-LFB people will never answer this.

You need to learn to "drive ahead", or "drive defensively". I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Ashton - you are a DANGEROUS driver. Glad you are not near me. There are enough like you on the road up here.

more dependable than "virtual". If you "drive ahead" you can anticipate what the next 5 -10 cars ahead of you are going to do, and generally slow down enough WITHOUT USING YOUR BRAKES to handle the situation.

And one day it will get you.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:04:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of defensive driving X2.

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of defensive driving X2.

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of defensive driving X2.

And it's noted that as always, you and the others are completely unable to explain why you think using two feet when driving a car is incredibly confusing and will lead to certain death yet you have no problems at all flying in an airplane being piloted by a motorcycle rider. It shows just how inconsistent and irrational you people are on this subject.

I suspect that Clare's recreation time consists of a lot of drinking while perusing usenet looking for an argument. He's a expert on just about every subject that comes up. Talk about cars, he's beeen a car mechanic for 50 years. Talk about lawnmowers - 50 years at that. Same with computers. I don't know how he has time for drinking and usenet while working 7 full time jobs.