A Test for young people

You've given me a great style idea. I'm going to market digital clocks without numbers.
Also movies on flashdrives, to be played on Netbooks without DVD drives.
Also macrofiche. Like microfiche but bigger than the original, 4.25 feet by 5.5 feet. The plan is to give away the writers and make our money selling celluloid, readers, and reader caddies.
If you want to invest, please send 10,000 dollars by Paypal to my email address. Remove NOPSAM. I have a reliable track record. No investor has ever lost money with me.

Zootal wrote:

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark! Velcro shoes are great! I have one pair I keep clean, and only use for going through airports, since almost none of them give you anywhere to sit down and put your shoes back on, anywhere near the checkpoint. Velcro I can handle while doing my stork imitation, wearing my backpack.
-- aem sends...

I wore penny loafers while growing up. Never did put the penny or dimes in them. That was about 50 years ago. I did know how to tie shoes,but the loafers felt beter on my feet at that time. Drove cars with manual transmissions also. One has to learn more than one way to do things.
I think it is based on the age of the person speaking.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That can be turned around as well. Ever watch the game show called "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader"?
One of the early contestants was an actual "Rocket Scientist" that worked for NASA. He was gone after missing the first question. And it was a question from the first grade part of the quiz.
David
I've not seen the show. However, a test can stump anyone. Depends on who writes the test. I'm sure I could write a multiple choice question that would fail most of the folks on this list.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Any question is easy if you know the answer. I don't remember the particular question the rocket scientist missed but one of the questions today was "a tom tom, snare and bongo are types of what musical instrument". The contestant had to ask the fifth grader for help.

.
At least he didn''t answer "types of GPS navigatorst".
Years ago, I read a city people test. And wanted to know what was a deuce and a quarter and what were boxcars. So, depending on the culture, some information is foreign.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
hibb wrote the following:

Country singer Kelly Pickler had a real bad time on that show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6UocsQnKc&feature=related

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And all of this proves -- what? That people don't remember things that happened before they were born? That outdated, unused technology has some sort of current purpose? That some people are weak in history? That some people don't follow oldies music? As far as adults "failing" at "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader," I propose that an appropriate alternate title for this program would would be "How Much of the Crap They Forced You to Learn in Fifth Grade That You Never Had Any Further Use For Do You Still Remember?"
I bought gas for 18.9 cents during price wars from the time I started driving in 1966 until the first "gas shortage" in the fall of 72. My folks till have a bunch of green glasses that given away with gas during the 60's.

I agree. Some of the commercials involved texting at funerals (when it was essential) or in businss meetings when one couldn't leave and couldn't talk, but in normal situations texting must take 5 times as long as talking on the phone, and convey less info. That is, no tone of voice, which is a big thing.
What else is sad is the abandonment of newsgroups, by those who have never learned about them, in favor of webbased forums which are so much less efficient, and don't have any facility for crossposting when that is useful.

It was not that long ago for me. Not sure exectally when we got a dial phone, but I know I was in grade school and the operator would ask for the number. That would have been atleast 1956 in North Carolina. I only remember 1042 as the number of the store my mother worked at as a book keeper. It was in the 80's when I got my first touch tone phone. That cost a couple of more dollars per month than the dial phone. We still have a couple of dial phones where I work. Probably because they are in a big explosion proof box due to the area they are in. This is a large company with several hundred phones inside. Most of the others are touchtone and many are speaker phone.
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:43:10 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

When my grandparents left the farm in about 1964 they still had the "rural partyline" phone with the hand crank.. Don't remember the whole number, but the last was Ring 32.
If you wanted to call a neighbour on the same party line you just cranked the crank for the "ring" _ _ _ __ __ was Ring 3-2. 3 Short, and 2 Long. To get outside line you just cranked with the hook down, if I remeber correctly, to wake up the operator.