A Test for young people

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar with the "fake rocks" (which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old "under the doormat" trick.

When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place" for the spare house key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be: on the dog's collar.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Your dog was named Sparekey? That would be cute. The dogs collar is an excellent idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually hex-like and round and were made by Briggs & Stratton.

Reply to
Bob Villa

???

Reply to
salty

Not if they shoot the dog.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Well, of course they'd have to know that's where the key was before it would do them any good -- and, as shaggy as that dog was, you'd have to know the key was there before you could find it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Like they even need a key to get in.

Reply to
salty

Exactly. The spare key on the dog's collar was mostly for our own convenience, so that we wouldn't have to smash a window if we locked ourselves out accidentally.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Any plan has a counter action. If you want to get really absurd, we can have some real fun on this list.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amjers always Xrays dogs, to look for house keys. Before he shoots them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would never shoot a dog, other than in self defense. They are just dogs, it isn't their fault, even if they are one of those helpless annoying yapping breeds. (Hmm, sounds like some posters on this group?)

If you live out in the boonies, a roving dog is one of the few legal effective defenses you can have for property when nobody is home. (Short of armoring the place with pull-down steel curtains and such.) Noise is irrelevant without neighbors to hear it, and police response times can be half an hour or more, even if your alarm system calls them. (Something a cell phone jammer and cutting the wires at the pole can prevent.) So smashing a window to get in becomes a non-event.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

My two hiding places are very secure and not some silly fake rock. You'd never even see me retrieve it even if I was in plain sight of you. I'd never rely on a commercial product to hide anything.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember a story about a guy who had a pet black panther. A burglar was down on his knees going through the owner's dresser when the cat laid its head on his shoulder and purred. The owner found an unconscious burglar with his big black panther licking his face.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Doesn't matter anyway. Locks are for honest people, to help keep them honest.

Reply to
Tony

Should I bother to say, 'Cite, please?' Smells like urban legend to me. Most places, exotic animals are illegal without special permit. And the care and upkeep (and insurance) is so expensive that getting robbed every couple of years would be cheaper by far.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Well, I DO know of a case where a couple owned a large Rotteweiler. They had a demand feeding setup for the dog, and a proximity actuated security doggy door so the dog could feed himself and let himself in and out when they were gone. They went away for a week's vacation, leaving the dog to watch the house. A theif decided to break in one of the first nights they were gone. The dog cornered him in the laundry room where he could keep a watch on him and still eat, and could hang his rear end out the doggy door to do his business. Didn't touch the guy, but every time the guy moved, he went for him. When the homeowners came home at the end of the week the guy was almost dead in the corner.

Reply to
clare

"I remember a story." I remember wetting my pants too when I was 7. Do you need a cite for that? Perhaps Sister Apocalypse my second grade teacher would write you a letter, she's probably 100 years old by now.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas