A Test for young people

Now add in the different sales taxes. And THEN figure out the change.

Reply to
clare

Must live in Ontario. By July it will all be One tax instead of 2, so yu won't need to remember if it gets GST, PST, or both applied.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hjsi9c$8dl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I worked at a gas station when I was in school, and that is what we were taught also. I think it was pretty much the definitive way to make change. And it is so simple!

I read somewhere that in the years to come, after the technology crash happens and we are back to mechanical cash registers, Wal-Mart will be hiring all of use old programmers to run their cash registers because none of the kids these days know how to count money and no one else out there can do any math.

Reply to
Zootal

I was always the fastest of the cashiers. Back then, Indiana sales tax was only 4%, and figuring that in my head was trivial. Much faster than looking it up on the little chart...

Reply to
Doug Miller
[snip]

In 2007, I tried to contact the owner of the house behind me (on the same block). I mailed a letter to that address (even though the house was vacant, someone might be getting the mail). The letter was returned as undeliverable, early in 2010.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

For how long will an analog clock be called "regular"?

Reply to
Sam E

Sam E wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We quit calling analog clocks "normal" and "regular" many years ago...my kids see an analog clock on the wall, and they ask me what that funny looking thing is.

Reply to
Zootal

On 1/28/2010 10:32 AM chaniarts spake thus:

Amazing that the telephone network still supports pulse dialing, ain't it?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Bumper Sticker: (paraphrased)

If you want to know something ask a teenager. They know everything

Ask the kids what time is American Idol on??

Reply to
Oren

Deficit?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh, better. Hand the clerk five dollars, and two cents. That will kill any public school student.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm 47, and I do that all the time. However, I may be acceptional. *

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What time is it, when the big hand is on the little hand?

Bedtime at Michael Jackson's.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player had a setting for that.

CY: I've seen 78 RPM, but not 80.

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

CY: That goes back. Before I was driving, gas was about .33 a galon. I don't th ink there even was a minium wage back then. You got paid about what you were worth.

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The first

4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.

CY: I remember my Dad bought a desk calculator from Heathkit for $125. He might still have it. I bought a mechanical adding machine one time at a garage sale. Brought it home in my wagon. My parents were not ammused.

Perce

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reefer was a type of truck....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bet the dial phone also has the four pin plug?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, my .line doesn't support TONE dialing yet!!!!!

Reply to
clare

I've not seen the show. However, a test can stump anyone. Depends on who writes the test. I'm sure I could write a multiple choice question that would fail most of the folks on this list.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think it is based on the age of the person speaking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a pristine Bell Systems black rotary wall phone in my kitchen. I've had guests who weren't sure how to use it.

Reply to
salty