A Test for young people

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I would assume since this happened in Florida (where old people go to die) and the circumstances, the woman was well beyond her breeding years.

Reply to
willshak

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I carry a spare door key in my wallet.

Reply to
willshak

I went to a grocery store some time ago where the registers were manned by my darker skinned cousins and the cute young lady at the register handed me $22.00 in change after I gave her a twenty for an eleven dollar purchase. Of course, I gave her back the excess change. I wonder how many people didn't.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That is truly wise. You'd be amazed how many people live with one set of keys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it is a nervous kid obviously just starting out, I will be very patient with them, and point out the error sweetly, even if it is in my favor. I have no problem with somebody being new on the job- everyone has to start somewhere. But when the clerk is a know-it-all or a slackjaw giving me attitude, or a kid with a cell phone glued to their ear while they are ringing me up and otherwise ignoring me, if the error is in my favor, I leave. Let them explain to the manager why the drawer is short. Stupidity should be painful sometimes.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Hey, I resemble that remark! Velcro shoes are great! I have one pair I keep clean, and only use for going through airports, since almost none of them give you anywhere to sit down and put your shoes back on, anywhere near the checkpoint. Velcro I can handle while doing my stork imitation, wearing my backpack.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I wore penny loafers while growing up. Never did put the penny or dimes in them. That was about 50 years ago. I did know how to tie shoes,but the loafers felt beter on my feet at that time. Drove cars with manual transmissions also. One has to learn more than one way to do things.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My 2001 Dodge company van has a single key for everything. A longtime ago, somehow a key broke off in the passengers door. I tried to get it out but was not able to.It so happens it is in the lock enough to operare it and short enough that it is not visible. All I have to do is stick a dime in the little slot and open the door. I have combination locks on my ladder rack. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I have that flashback in Utah a lot. No lifeguard at the gene pool.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier $2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when someone can't figure out simple finance like that.

Reply to
Kyle

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier $2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when someone can't figure out simple finance like that.

reply:

One time I was making change for a customer, and instead of doing it the regular way, I did it in random order, a nickel here and calling out the number then a quarter and calling out the number, all the time ending up with a number that did not end in a 5 or a 0 but ending up at the amt tendered.

She chuckled.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I carried two sets of keys for more than 20 years. Not sure why I wanted to stop, but other than getting locked out, I like it this way. :-(

I have a spare house and car key buried somewhere near my house. I've used that several times in 25 years to get into the house. And until a year ago I had a neighor who was usually home with keys. Maybe I need to carry another key now.

Reply to
mm

I agree. Some of the commercials involved texting at funerals (when it was essential) or in businss meetings when one couldn't leave and couldn't talk, but in normal situations texting must take 5 times as long as talking on the phone, and convey less info. That is, no tone of voice, which is a big thing.

What else is sad is the abandonment of newsgroups, by those who have never learned about them, in favor of webbased forums which are so much less efficient, and don't have any facility for crossposting when that is useful.

Reply to
mm

It was not that long ago for me. Not sure exectally when we got a dial phone, but I know I was in grade school and the operator would ask for the number. That would have been atleast 1956 in North Carolina. I only remember 1042 as the number of the store my mother worked at as a book keeper. It was in the 80's when I got my first touch tone phone. That cost a couple of more dollars per month than the dial phone. We still have a couple of dial phones where I work. Probably because they are in a big explosion proof box due to the area they are in. This is a large company with several hundred phones inside. Most of the others are touchtone and many are speaker phone.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I just put a magnetic key holder up under a spot in the car with a "hardware store" cut key in it. That will open the doors but it won't start the car (no chip) I seldom lock my car anyway. My father in law has a new Cadillac that doesn't even have a keyhole in the doors. There is a hidden lock in the back that gets you into the trunk and there is a door release there. To make matters worse Cadillac has a known problem that will drain the battery in a couple days. Ironically it is a defect in the door lock module.

Reply to
gfretwell

It must be hard to get the key in.

Reply to
mm

I don't think my car has one on the passenger side. Frankly, I don't remember the last time I put a key in a car door or trunk.

I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new car. I have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of times over the years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When my grandparents left the farm in about 1964 they still had the "rural partyline" phone with the hand crank.. Don't remember the whole number, but the last was Ring 32.

If you wanted to call a neighbour on the same party line you just cranked the crank for the "ring" _ _ _ __ __ was Ring 3-2. 3 Short, and 2 Long. To get outside line you just cranked with the hook down, if I remeber correctly, to wake up the operator.

Reply to
clare

I went through the drive through at my bank one day and the teller gave me $40.00 too much. I returned it and when people ask me why, my answer is always the same: "It wasn't mine."

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas