A Test for young people

Page 6 of 9

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:16:12 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Ah, you kids. How about 19.9 at the Merit station in 1962 when I started driving. The Esso station across the street was 21.9 Esso was part of Standard Oil, later Exxon.

Mine was huge with a CRT that showed 4 lines. $400, a year later $300, a couple more years later a TI was $79

What? No Nixies????
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was only 5 or 6 but for some reason I remember 35.9 cents/gallon. That would be around 1966/1967. Many years later the garage only did automatic transmissions and stopped selling gas. About 10 years ago I took a car there for a tranny rebuild. Talked to the owner and asked if he was the same guy as back in the 60's that used to give me a lollipop every time my mom got gas. Yep, that was me he said. So when he gave me the bill for the tranny (same exact quoted price), I asked him for a lollipop but he didn't have any.

Hey, that's not right.
[snip]

I remember hearing about Esso, but had little to do with it. In this part of the country, we had Enco.
When we were going on trips (1960s and 1970s), my mother often was saying "look for an Enco on the right". There were so many stations there was always one on the right, and Enco was the only credit card we had then (for keeping records of travel expenses).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Once, many years ago, before Google and Wiki, I was curious about the family tree of all the bastard stepchildren of John D.'s original Standard Oil, which was one of the reasons we (used to) have anti-trust laws in this country. Pretty fascinating, really, and gives a good view into early-20th-century views about power and government.
Now that 'enough' of all information is online, you can read in a hour what took me an afternoon at the library to find.
-- aem sends...
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:16:12 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

$0.28 cents per gallon gasoline, Cleveland OH, early 1960s. Back then they pumped your gas, polished your windshield, and checked your oil. And BIG candybars or ice-cream bars for nickel. One cup of milk, 2 cents at the school cafeteria, 3 cents for chocolate milk. The bus was 15 cents.

And your radiator and battery levels and if you asked, your auto transmission fluid. They had special platic pitchers for adding battery fluid, which I guess was often only water. I would think some places it was distilled water, but I guess those were a lot fewer places than I thought at the time. I mean I've never managed to put non-distilled water in a battery, but I suspect after you've done it once, it gets easier.
Since I'm posting, I remember when it was 20 cents normally and I recall thinking it was a little lower than that sometimes. I'm born in '47.

-snip-

Don't forget that minimum wage was about 60cents/hr & a 13" Black & White TV would set you back 2 weeks pay.
Ah, the good ole, bad ole days.
Jim

A 5 lb. bag of sugar cost nearly 5 dollars (sugar embargo?).
RC Cola and a Moon Pie was ten cents.
Gas between .25 and .32 cent. Kerosene might have been .16 cent.

We married in 1966. Bought a 19" B & W portable TV for $169 but color was priced out of my range. I was making about $110 a week at the time and the mortgage was $84. Gas bill averaged $14 a month, electric about half of that.
Was there even a min wage back then? Now days how many weeks pay is a television?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I saw a 7" digital tv advertised on sign out front of a CVS pharmacy for 77 dollars if I read it correctly. I don't think it had electronic tuning though. You had to crank a level with one hand while you shoved pieces of wood into the tuner with the other.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:34:21 +1000, Soundhaspriority

Wrong!, wrong and wrong.. See my blog about you.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbfvvd.jpg
Oren wrote:

Cool! Dig that groovy garage door!

Better yet, ask them where Portugal is or what state is Washington DC in. Ask them about Pearl Harbor, Normandy. Ask them what the three branches of our government are.

a) turmoil b) confusion c) havoc d) recklessness ... ... z) all of the above
Deficit?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Sanity wrote:

Or just about any question about the history of unions in this country.

11. You buy an item for $1.27. You hand the clerk two dollars. Without a using a calculator, how much change should you get back?
We've seen kids at a cash register practically in tears trying to make change when the power went out.