A Test for young people

I had the electric heater, with built-in footswitch and fan, that my mother bought when I was born, in January '47, to warm the bathroom beyond what the furnace was set to do. It was in perfect condition when it was 55 years old, including the cloth-covered cord. I haven't seen cloth cord last 55 years other than this. (Although I'm not surprised that the switch, fan, and heater itself worked.)
But then I let a carboard container of toilet bowl cleaner sit in the same cabinet under the bathroom sink for too long, and the fumes pitted the chrome on the heater. There was quite a bit of chrome, surrounding the heating elements and as a grill across the front.
I've cleaned up a chrome bumper to where big-seeming pits are only tiny dots. I don't know if I can do that for this heater or not. I was too "depressed" to look at it much. But it's on my list of things to do.
I had kept both the heater and other containers of toilet bowl cleaner, I'm almost positive many of them the crystal stuff in carboard tubes, in the cabinet for over 20 years before this happened. I don't know what the difference really was, except I used the other stuff up quicker. This time I had bought muliple brands and styles and was using up other stuff.
It also corroded the cabinet door hinges, even on the outside of one door. In fact that's how I noticed there was trouble. Nothing else was damaged. (I was able to replace the hinges when neighbors threw away identical cabinets.)

You have to go to hamfests. Try http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html .
Not that many but more than a summer's garage sales.
I was at a rare winter one last Wednesday and they had the dynamo used to ring the operator, in a very nice oak cabinet, with a crank. A late, fancier model than most. No phone attached for some reason. Of course if you live in an area that had no phones during that era, you might not find that. :)

Eeeeek! Demons of the Phoenix! The avacodo green phone walks the streets at night, pouncing on helpeless color blind men.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How come they didn't come in Harvest Gold?
mm wrote:

They did have a sort of dried-out-mustard-yellow color available. No coppertone, though. And the avacado green wasn't exactly the same shade as the appliances. WE had a very distinctive palate of colors, probably copyrighted, that I never saw exact matches for from any other manufacturer. I miss having color choices on small home appliances and electronics.
-- aem sends...

They did.
On Jan 29, 10:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My mom still has one in her basement (you can hear it on the 2nd floor!).
bob
11. Name a convenience store or motel run by someone not named Patel.
Oddly enough, my cousin Eric (who's mostly German descended) has 12 room hotel. Only one I know.
You're right, mostly Pakis own motels and convenience stores near here.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:33:12 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

for convenience stores and gas-bars - long the domain of the Patels.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yes it is. A few years back a friend had a touch tone pay phone someone gave him. He hung it up and wired it in our "club house" but couldn't get it to make a call. It had a dial tone but would not work, even with quarters. Holding the receiver in my hand, I tapped the hang up flap two times quickly, short pause, 1 tap, short pause, 5 tapps, (215 area code) then did the rest of my phone number. Everyone thought I was to drunk and crazy but as soon as I heard my phone ring I handed him the receiver and he heard my answering machine. The old dial phones are doing the exact same thing when you hear it click, click, click. That payphone on the wall then became a sort of drunk-O-meter. It's not easy to always get the pulses down just right. Ya know, I wonder what it will do on a public pay phone?
Tony wrote:

Probably just needed to reverse L1 and L2 to get it to break dial tone with the TT pad. Some early touchtones were like that. Did he have the key for the coin box?
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I don't think he had a key. And from what I have seen, those aren't easy to open without it! I think the cash box then has a separate key and when they empty them they just swap an empty box for the one in the phone.

They don't want what occasionally happens with parking meter money.
A friend of mine died last month. I knew she had worked for the phone company but I didn't know until she died, before the funeral, that she collected money from the pay phones. Her 25 year old son, who loved her, I'm sure of it, said "She just collected money from the pay phones.". She hadn't said exactly what she did but she said that if she had known she was as smart as other people, she would have tried for something higher level. She thought the people who wore suits were smarter than she was, but eventually learned how incompetent many people are who still have good jobs. She's right. I learned it earlier because I hung out with more people who wore suits or would when they graduated and got a job. She was black and 60 years old and a product of her generation. She owned her own home and had been bought out in order to get her to retire (amybe because there are fewer pay phones??) She died of pancreatic cancer which had nothing to do with her job or her relative lack of money or her medical care, which was good.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:09:37 +1000, Soundhaspriority

And btw, you're talking about a friend of mine who just died. I know it's hard for you to stop, but if you could stop being an ignorant ass for just a little while, even you might like it better.

I'm so sorry your friend passed on. Take care. Marina
I bet the dial phone also has the four pin plug?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vinyl+records
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record
"A gramophone record, commonly known as phonograph record (in American English), vinyl record (when made of polyvinyl chloride)"
"As of 2009, vinyl records continue to be used for distribution of independent and alternative music artists. More mainstream pop releases tend to be mostly sold in digital or compact disc format, but have still been released in vinyl in certain instances."
Reference to vinyl = common description not indicative to all compositions used over the past 100 years.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player had a setting for that.
CY: I've seen 78 RPM, but not 80.

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.
CY: That goes back. Before I was driving, gas was about .33 a galon. I don't th ink there even was a minium wage back then. You got paid about what you were worth.

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The first 4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.
CY: I remember my Dad bought a desk calculator from Heathkit for $125. He might still have it. I bought a mechanical adding machine one time at a garage sale. Brought it home in my wagon. My parents were not ammused.
Perce
[snip]

One of my father's was labeled "acoustically recorded in 1908".
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Nah. Them Edison tubes is better!
PS. After fixing a TV I was once offered an old decrepit one, with some recordings. Perhaps should have accepted it. But sensing it's future worth I didn't take it cos felt it should stay with that family.