A Test for young people

Boy, they really tried hard to deliver it!

Reply to
mm

But if they're paying the customers, that works in the gas station's favor!

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably sat in the mailbox all that time.

Reply to
Mr.Spock

When I was in Indiana, until 1966, the sales tax was 2 percent!

But i never knew where the borders were between 1 penny and the next.

Reply to
mm

Good for you. Enjoy them.

Reply to
salty

I guess that's an easy vow to make when you can't afford to buy one.

Reply to
salty

I hope you had a priest bless it, and then burned it. (grin here)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My mom still has one in her basement (you can hear it on the 2nd floor!).

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

I don't think he had a key. And from what I have seen, those aren't easy to open without it! I think the cash box then has a separate key and when they empty them they just swap an empty box for the one in the phone.

Reply to
Tony
  1. Name a convenience store or motel run by someone not named Patel.
Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I was only 5 or 6 but for some reason I remember 35.9 cents/gallon. That would be around 1966/1967. Many years later the garage only did automatic transmissions and stopped selling gas. About 10 years ago I took a car there for a tranny rebuild. Talked to the owner and asked if he was the same guy as back in the 60's that used to give me a lollipop every time my mom got gas. Yep, that was me he said. So when he gave me the bill for the tranny (same exact quoted price), I asked him for a lollipop but he didn't have any.

Reply to
Tony

hibb wrote the following:

Country singer Kelly Pickler had a real bad time on that show.

willshak
[snip]

I knew someone who had a problem because she had gotten too used to the electric car door locks. She had left a door open all night, so the battery was low. She got in the next morning and closed the door. When she turned the key, the doors locked but the car wouldn't start. She stayed in that car for several hours because the battery was now too weak to unlock the doors.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I remember hearing about Esso, but had little to do with it. In this part of the country, we had Enco.

When we were going on trips (1960s and 1970s), my mother often was saying "look for an Enco on the right". There were so many stations there was always one on the right, and Enco was the only credit card we had then (for keeping records of travel expenses).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm sure they were out there every week looking for the people who lived there. Probably referred it to the Inspector General to find them.

Reply to
mm

Absolutes tend to exclude exceptions to the rule; all three of my daughter-units are quite adept at counting change back. It a pet-peeve of SWMBO (she managed several retail stores during her teens and twenties), my MIL (who was a cashier at different times of her life), and me.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Oddly enough, my cousin Eric (who's mostly German descended) has 12 room hotel. Only one I know.

You're right, mostly Pakis own motels and convenience stores near here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

People get into a tizzy during stressful times, and don't think clearly. When my daughter was about four, I left her in the truck while I went in and paid for the gas. Small rural place. Thirty years ago. Different times and place. Left the keys in the truck. When I came back, she had playfully locked the doors. I was in a panic, and all sorts of ideas from building a slim Jim to busting out the window to being angry with her for locking the doors. Then I thought, "Smile and have her UNLOCK the doors."

I said, "You know how to lock them. Can you unlock them?" She did, and after that, I took my keys with me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do you remember wire recorders? Used wire instead of tape. Before they figured out how to magnetize tape.

I've never seen one but in about 1955 I saw reference to a fairly small portable one, that ran on batteries, in an adventure comic book.

Later I found out that wire recorders really existed, maybe like the one in the comic book too.

Of course the problems come if the wire kinks.

Reply to
mm

I have 2 or 3 noises in my house I have yet to account for. And I've looked.

Reply to
mm