90 amps for electric car charge!

I don't "repeat" lies.
Add pictures here
✖
krw wrote:

NO lie!
I just got a callback from a chief inspector at Seattle City Light. He quoted me the part of the Seattle City Code that requires notification of load additions. It is the law here. He also said, he didn't personally know who you would notify. Generally, he said, they find out when service entrance updates are done, since they hook up the power. But, by law, you are supposed to notify the utility, and if you don't, you are responsible for repairs, if for instance, the transformer blows.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 18, 10:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

He also claimed that the muni *always* notified the power company, even were they weren't under the same political entity.

The only permit I have ever pulled was for a garage and the power was ancillary. There was no mention of number of circuits or their ampacity or any other implementation details. The inspector inspected what was there.
Add pictures here
✖

I've lived where the power utility was owned by the city- it's not uncommon. However, the utility's mandate is on it's side of the metering. Permits apply to your side of the metering and code compliance /inspection covers your ass with the insurance company if something goes wrong. If the utility underestimated load growth and diversity- it is their problem (which will filter down to the customer base as a whole, rather than the individual). Whatever, I agree, it is laughable-the utility can't even detect the possibility of a grow-op until suspicious meter readings appear or the secondaries to the house of concern let out magic smoke.
----- Don Kelly cross out to reply
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca wrote:

No kidding. Local code requires a 200 amp service around here, yet the primaries are still designed and fused for 60 amp service. This subdivison was built in the mid '60s, and was designed for about 18 A @ 240 V average per home. That was fine when the houses used propane to cook and for heat. No one had air conditioning or electric stoves. A 60 A fuse in the primary around the corner goes on a regular basis. Usually on Friday evenings and within a few minutes of 5:00 PM when everyone gets home from work. They turn up the AC and start cooking. Then you hear the fuse explode like a shotgun.
It isn't as bad right now because several of the houses are vacant. It is a mostly senior subdivision and they are empty, awaiting probate. Others were bought by snowbirds, so they are empty through the summer but it still goes about once a month.
Most utility workers are trained for a very narrow range of work, and have little or no idea of the engineering behind the company or the rules & regulations they set.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca wrote:

I hit send too fast. :)
That's similar to living on a military base where they run the utilities, except they didn't meter the electric. They also supplied the water, natural gas (Where available), diesel fuel for the generators at remote bases and steam to heat buildings in cold climates. They operated the CATV and telephone systems, and in a few places they had the only local radio or TV station and printed the newspaper.
Ft. Greely, AK. was like that, except for natural gas which wasn't available.
I live within 15 miles of two city operated electric utilities. The rates are about double what people outside the city limits pay, and all the electricity comes from the same power plants. Then they complain when businesses move out of the city, or the county because of high taxes & utilities.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖

Actually the rates were competitive. Rates in the whole region, including the city went up when de-regulation came in with chain store economics- maximise short term profit.
--
-----
Don Kelly
snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca wrote:

Not around here. The cities base a lot of their budget on the money they collect by jacking up the utility bills. Now they are crying because a lot of people have cut back their use, and a lot of restaurants and small businesses have closed which took a lot of their revenue.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 03:37:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Out electric rates (city owned electric company) are pretty reasonable, though I admit I haven't checked the area outside the city. We're paying under $.10/kWh, which certainly can't be double. Our highest bill this winter, a cold one, was about $175.
Add pictures here
✖
krw wrote:

Florida brags about no state income tax, but hopes that you don't notice the thousands of other taxes they use to replace it.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:18:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

The income tax isn't outrageous, and property tax here is cheap. They do have a real PITA sales tax, though (8%, 10% in Montgomery, but who would spend money there?).
Add pictures here
✖
krw wrote:

Sales tax is 6% right now. It keeps changing. My property taxes are about $700 per year. They went up quite a bit over the last 10 years, even with the so called 'Homestead Exemption' and '$5,000 'Disability Exemption' The actual property taxes are low, but they add a lot of fees which adds over $400 to the annual bill.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 01:52:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

My taxes are $1500, with no "fees" other than services (electric, garbage, water) for a 2600sq.ft. 3-1/2 bath new house. The taxes here do include a 50% homestead exemption so they do try to rape those with second homes.
Add pictures here
✖

flororida heavily taxes tourists to help keep residents taxes lower
thins like a 23% room tax.
Add pictures here
✖
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

We had to do something so they didn't stay so long. :) Still, they get off cheap when compared to what the residents have to pay.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖

I think the idea that FL heavily taxes tourists because they don't have a state income tax is bogus. The hotel room tax in Miami or Orlando is 2.5%. For those of us that travel, that rate isn't out of line with rates that you can find in other major tourist destinations in other states that have income taxes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 05:54:38 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

2.5% is *low*. Many places it's 10% or more.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't forget the taxes on airports, bus or train tickets or port fees on cruise ships. If you listen to some of the tourists, Florida is the most expensive place to vacation.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Add pictures here
✖
krw wrote:

Seattle rates are similar to Puget sound Energy which services surrounding areas.
Seattle 1st 300 kwh/mo $.0439 Additional $.0914
PSE 1st 600 kwh/mo $.084 Additional $.102
Add pictures here
✖
Bob F wrote:

I used to work as a programmer for a company that monitored electric loads for smaller power companies, typically Rural Electric Cooperatives. One of the selling points of our software was the administrators would be better able to correct transformer loading. One director told our sales representative:
"What's to monitor? If a transformer blows, we replace it with a bigger one. End of story."
Add pictures here
✖