Subject Author Posted Replies

Returned Comfort Furnace
I just returned a Comfort Furnace (similar to Eden Pure) after 40 days of trial. It provided good (but expensive) heat while the weather was just cool (40s). When it got real cold, I had to run the...
8
8

front door landing
I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab. Or it did. How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition...
9
9

HVAC questions
Back in March, we moved in to this 1979 house. We had a new Rheem furnace put in as part of the FHA rehab - everything had to be done before we moved in. Furnace is all electric - no natural gas back...
13
13

Storm Door Closing Very Slowly
Have a full view storm door with a closer on top and bottom. Has been working great until recently it is suddenly closing very very slowly. It does eventually close, but extremely slowly. Is it...
2
2

Pipes and Winter Weatherizing
After making an emergency run to fix a friend's broken pipes, I'm thinking what can be done so this won't cost me much more time and money. What broke were bathroom sink lines, just below the cutoff...
11
11

Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"
This week I had someone come and bid on installing sheet rock on my house. After he looked it over he gave me some valuable advice and said I should fix a few things first then call him to do the job....
37
37

Gas stove-oven - electronic ignition
I have a gas stove with oven and electronic ignition. I was watching the ovens operation and the ignitor-coil continued to glow white, its powered on, with the oven in operation. Is this normal that...
1
1

OT Clock synchronization
I really have no need to know the exact second of time. I do, however, often wish electronic clocks could automatically set themselves to an accuracy of a minute or so. I am sure I am not the first to...
14
14

Running Gas FP at Partial Throttle
I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit oversized for the room. It can turn things tropical in relatively short order. While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed that...
3
3

OT - Porta-Jump
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it possibly work as advertised? See related links to what you are looking for.
6
6

Ryobi battery pack disassembly?
I have several 18v Ryobi tools and battery packs, including one of the lower-capacity Li-Ion ones that shows as fully charged in the charger but will not operate a tool and shows no voltage across the...
15
15

Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer...
90
90

Low cost outdoor thermometer
I want to be able to turn on my gas logs automatically whenever an indoor thermostat is calling for heat AND an outdoor thermostat says the temperature is below a temperature selected from a range of...
11
11

OT a bit - Propane prices
Here in extreme SE Iowa we heat both our newish two story home and our 1,200 sq. ft. shop with propane fired high efficiency furnaces. Normally we contract the winter supply in the fall but this year...
38
38

Solder question
Say you've got common equipment for soldering copper water pipes. Can ya solder other metals to copper? Solder, say, steel u-bolts to copper pipe? Same procedure, clean 'em up, flux 'em, heat 'em up...
16
16