front door landing

I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab. Or it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from the floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood), painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool against the edge.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Your post contained just over 100 words.

A picture would easily be worth the other 900.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Jeff Thies wrote the following:

Are you saying that the slab is sinking? What does a 'dirt basement' mean?

Reply to
willshak

No. The slab is fine. The land is terraced, so the slap is on much higher ground. There's about 3' under the part of the house there.

Normally wood siding doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it does here. The ground here being the edge of the slab. I'd like to change that as I think this was done poorly, this was a later addition.

I wonder what to do about the wood.

dirt floor, covered in a vapor barrier.

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Jeff Thies wrote: [deleted]

Jeff, your descriptions aren't forming a picture for any of us. Please post a photo somewhere and post the URL here.

Una

Reply to
Una

If I understand the situation, I think I'd move the dirt. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Jeff, I thought it was just me since I gulped a few beers to get the fiberglass insulation out of my throat. Then I see others not understanding either.

Post some pics somewhere and give us the link.

Reply to
Colbyt

Yeah, how can you have a dirt basement under the slab??

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'll post some up in a day or two. Thanks for the read.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

My buddy has a house on top of a hill over looking a field. He built a

2-story garage into the side of the hill.

From the house side you drive onto the "second floor" slab. From the field side you drive under the slab onto a dirt floor.

I'm just sayin'

Reply to
DerbyDad03