hardwood floor install by front door

Greetings all:

I'm installing plank flooring in my home - maple in most rooms and bamboo in the master bed & bath. While I've not done it before, I have done LOTS of research and reading. I have only one question at this point.

I'm going to begin the installation on the longest wall in my living room (yes, perpendicular to joists). The front door is along this wall. Do I keep the same standard gap between the flooring at the wall at the front door, and somehow fill this when I'm done? The threshold is simply screwed in, so I assume I remove it, put in a spline at the doorway, and install a threshold. I just don't know if there are any concerns about getting the spacing exactly right, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Reply to
jayedgar

not really sure what you mean my being able to unscrew the threshold. never seen that, even on old doors. usually the side jambs drop down on the threshold. new doors usually have an adjustable threshold that can be removed, but i don't think you could spline flooring into that. you do need a bit of an expansion space...1/4" or so. the floor needs to be able to expand a bit without screwing up your door. I prefer to use a strip of maple trim over this gap, provided you have the elevation. otherwise, I suppose it could be caulked with a flexible caulk similar to what you would use in a concrete expansion joint (appropriate color of course). have heard of filling the space with a strip of cork, though I'm not sure where you would get such a thing.

Reply to
marson