Running Gas FP at Partial Throttle

I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit oversized for the room. It can turn things tropical in relatively short order. While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed that the fire still burns (but less vigourously) if the gas control knob is left in an intermediate position between "pilot" and "on".

Can't remember the right terminology at the moment, but the fp unit is sealed with connections to outside for air and exhaust.

Is there any reason not to leave the flame turned down?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
WandererFan

If it was my unit I would probably have a valve for adjusting the heat to where I want it. I dont know about gas fireplaces but its possible the gas valve wont work right on low pressure.

Reply to
ransley

It's called direct vent.

Some gas valves have an adjustment for high and low flame. Just a few hundred BTUs difference. Leaving it in the position between "pilot" and "on" will alter the gas and air mixture possibly causing sooting and other problems.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

may cause explosive BOOM on ignition......

monitor it carefully if you try this.

can you put it on a thermostat?

Reply to
hallerb