Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas stove-oven - electronic ignition
I have a gas stove with oven and electronic ignition. I was watching the ovens operation and the ignitor-coil continued to glow white, its powered on, with the oven in operation. Is this normal that...
1
1

OT Clock synchronization
I really have no need to know the exact second of time. I do, however, often wish electronic clocks could automatically set themselves to an accuracy of a minute or so. I am sure I am not the first to...
14
14

Running Gas FP at Partial Throttle
I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit oversized for the room. It can turn things tropical in relatively short order. While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed that...
3
3

OT - Porta-Jump
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it possibly work as advertised? See related links to what you are looking for.
6
6

Ryobi battery pack disassembly?
I have several 18v Ryobi tools and battery packs, including one of the lower-capacity Li-Ion ones that shows as fully charged in the charger but will not operate a tool and shows no voltage across the...
15
15

Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer...
90
90

Low cost outdoor thermometer
I want to be able to turn on my gas logs automatically whenever an indoor thermostat is calling for heat AND an outdoor thermostat says the temperature is below a temperature selected from a range of...
11
11

OT a bit - Propane prices
Here in extreme SE Iowa we heat both our newish two story home and our 1,200 sq. ft. shop with propane fired high efficiency furnaces. Normally we contract the winter supply in the fall but this year...
38
38

Solder question
Say you've got common equipment for soldering copper water pipes. Can ya solder other metals to copper? Solder, say, steel u-bolts to copper pipe? Same procedure, clean 'em up, flux 'em, heat 'em up...
16
16

Bathroom Remodel Question: buying different toilet than pedestal-- different company.. problem?
Hi I am remodeling a bathroom. The pedestal i will be using is a totally different brand Kohler than the toilet I will be using.. Reason, the Toto toilet flushes better than the Cimaron by Kohler......
4
4

"Heatballs" kicked out of the park
"A German man has failed in an attempt to circumvent the EU ban on 100 watt incandescent lightbulbs by rebranding the product as Heatballs. " 's not for the chicks (baby chickens, not hot females).
2
2

Not Necessarily Off Topic
It has to do with wooden ladders and fire departments. I suppose that might be of concern to homeowners. I thought it was pretty cool. :-) Wood Ladders | Vent Enter Search
12
12

Monitor Kerosene Heaters/ stopped production ?
I have 3 Monitor heaters that use K1 fuel oil. I like them a lot, but have heard recently that Monitor has stopped making them. Anyone know if this is true, and if so, where would one find parts for...

Turn a book into a secret safe
Step-by-step. With pictures. from this website: "How to build an Impenetrable Snow Fort" "Amateur Boxing for Beginners" Make a secret book safe to stash your booty in just four easy steps. Build a...
3
3

Crawl space moisture barrier solutions
I have a little home repair business going after working as a construction carpenter for many years. One customer has a damp crawl space in which standing water accumulates during the rainy season,...
7
7